Moving On Up.....

Ooooh, never done one of those. I've always wanted to try one, along with some of that vinegar-based sauce that our friends in the Carolinas make. Betcha that would be some solid eats.

Ooooh, never done one of those. I've always wanted to try one, along with some of that vinegar-based sauce that our friends in the Carolinas make. Betcha that would be some solid eats.

That's your friends in "Carolina". The folks in lesser carolina use mustard.

That's your friends in "Carolina". The folks in lesser carolina use mustard.

Hahahahaha, I was waiting for someone regional to chime in. After I posted it, I realized my wording was vague and lumped both Carolinas in together, which would be like someone lumping in all the different styles/regions of Texas Q together. Guess I'm a troublemaker like that. :mrgreen:

Edit: Do you have a sauce recipe you wouldn't mind sharing? Bet it would go good on some ribs.

Hahahahaha, I was waiting for someone regional to chime in. After I posted it, I realized my wording was vague and lumped both Carolinas in together, which would be like someone lumping in all the different styles/regions of Texas Q together. Guess I'm a troublemaker like that. :mrgreen:

Edit: Do you have a sauce recipe you wouldn't mind sharing? Bet it would go good on some ribs.

I usually use Raichlen's out of the BBQ bible. I think this is it:

VINEGAR SAUCE
2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons ketchup
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar, or more to taste
5 teaspoons salt, or more to taste
4 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper

Now lots of folks in NC will get up in arms about there being ketchup in it but honestly it doesn't do anything other than give it a bit of color and maybe a little flavor. Doesn't even thicken it up at all.

Went back and bought three more, just in case it’s a one and done event. Good for a while

I usually use Raichlen's out of the BBQ bible. I think this is it:

VINEGAR SAUCE
2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons ketchup
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar, or more to taste
5 teaspoons salt, or more to taste
4 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper

Now lots of folks in NC will get up in arms about there being ketchup in it but honestly it doesn't do anything other than give it a bit of color and maybe a little flavor. Doesn't even thicken it up at all.

Thanks! Whoa, that's actually VERY similar to the sauce I make (on the rare occasion I make sauce), ketchup and all. Main difference is I add butter and white onions, and some blackstrap molasses. Occasionally I'll use some soda (Dr. Pepper or Cherry Coke) for sweetness and lessen the amount of brown sugar.

Back