Fools rush in ... (Pork Belly)

HankB

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Fools rush in where angels dare to tread. I let my excitement about the upcoming summer bash get the best of me and volunteered to make one of my recent favorite items. That would be pork belly burnt ends.
In a more sober moment, It occurred to me that I could pick no more discerning audience for my culinary adventure. I had better be on my game because these guys will know if I miss the mark! (And in general, they deserve the best.) I'm going to practice today.
IMG-20190626-083236-PP.jpg

IMG-20190626-101452-PP.jpg

I'm trying something a little different today. First, I added a little coffee to my dry rub. I usually do that for brisket. Second, I smeared the belly with crushed garlic before applying the rub. Lastly, I cut some of the belly into large cubes and rolled them in the rub. The chunks will get more exposure to the rub and the smoke and may render away more fat. I'll have to see how I like that.

Looks like you're off to a great start! Can't wait to see the results and hear your opinions on the different methods

Great chunks of Sow Belly's!

First Hank, I'd like to refresh your memory of a great song.
https://youtu.be/kyU2pGWA6Jc

I am curious though...
Who gets the big one on the grill? The cooks share? :laugh:

I love burnt ends from Pork Belly. In fact, I made it for a Family and Friends Christmas Party last Christmas and they cleaned it up!
Even the Daughter-In-Law who is almost fanatical about her figure had 3 helpings.

I do mine in an electric smoker though. Which really is an outdoor oven you can add smoke to....

Pork Belly goes way beyond Bacon. Who knew?
I be droolin looking at your pictures. :icon_smile_tongue:

I'll be watching the grandkids this weekend so they'll be my taste testers. ;) They're a challenging lot.

Me: Try this
Them: No. I don't like it.
Me: Have you ever tried it?
Them: No, I don't like it.

:rolleyes:

The big piece and small pieces will be divided evenly among family and perhaps some friends. (And the freezer.)

Edit:
After an hour and a half
MVIMG-20190626-115245-PP.jpg

I forgot salt in the rub! :oops: I can salt the sauce during the second phase.

Last edited:
Three hours in - big piece is in the mid 160°F range and the smaller pieces are about 10° hotter. Time to chop, sauce and continue cooking.

IMG-20190626-135334-PP.jpg

IMG-20190626-140214-PP.jpg

IMG-20190626-140402-PP.jpg

Now I need to watch the chunks and foil before they get too dry. (yes, I've made that mistake.)

Incidentally, the chunks with the sauce taste really good. :becky:
Edit: 4 1/2 hours in. The big piece is about 170°F Time for it to come off. I chopped about 2/3 of that piece and added some sauce. (*)

IMG-20190626-152916-PP.jpg

The unchopped portion is reserved for future options. :becky: And I foiled the portion which has already been in the cooker for a while.

(*) Note to self. make sure I have enough BBQ sauce before I start. :oops: I had about half what I needed so I added some catsup, (ketchup?), molasses, malt syrup and balsamic vinegar. And crossed my fingers. Unfortunately this invalidates a side by side comparison of the results. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
First batch (smoked as chunks) came in a while ago. At that point I spread the second batch (whole belly) between two of those pans.

IMG-20190626-172354-PP.jpg

You can see the fat that rendered out between the chunks. :wink:

I find it best to serve with a slotted spoon or slotted spatula which tends to leave the fat behind. I'll separate the fat from the remaining sauce (and return the sauce to the meat) but experience has taught me that more fat will render out when these are reheated.

With a storm on the horizon and audible thunder, I've brought the second batch inside. AFAC it's done anyway.

Some of the first batch made some pretty good burnt end tacos (with lettuce, tomato, sharp cheddar and a little cilantro from the garden. And some jalapeno slices. It is wife approved.

Dang! That final picture looked amazing. No doubt that the look was secondary to how they tasted. Nice job!!

Looks Tastee! I could not find pork belly this past weekend and substituted jowl bacon.Do not EVER do that.It was so salty,I threw it in the trash.Would have been fine sliced and cooked like bacon.Live and learn.

WOWZER!!! I don't think I'd have much self control with that pan sitting in front of me!

I did some last month. Fabulous. Yours looks super good. I'd eat some of those

Hank, after they tasted the end product, I'll bet you had to tell the kids, Just Say NO to Pork Crack! :becky:

They look excellent. I have a question on determining when it is done, do you go by feel, temp or both?

They look excellent. I have a question on determining when it is done, do you go by feel, temp or both?

Do you mean the first stage or the second?

I smoke the whole belly until it hits about 165-170°F. Then I cut up, sauce, pan and cook until I think it's done. If it goes too long they get hard. Maybe covering them would forestall that. I guess I go by feel for the second stage.

Back