Direct charcoal cooking in pit

Wings

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hello, I don’t mean to ask such a question but I’d like to know if there is a way to direct cook over charcoal in my backyard jambo pit. I already own, besides the jambo, a WSM, Davey Crockett, PK original and a MHP Grill and would charcoal grill on the pk but for larger parties, when not smoking, is there a way to use the jambo for this purpose. Maybe a charcoal tray that fits in the cooking chamber or something of that nature. Has anyone tried this with success? I understand it would be a fixed height and there’s gonna be some cleanup after.

Sound like it would work. I have seen many pipe cookers that are deemed "charcoal grills". They just do not have a firebox.

I would worry about the paint on the cook chamber. It's not insulated like the firebox.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I would worry about the paint on the cook chamber. It's not insulated like the firebox.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

^^^^This

I know Jamie uses high quality heat resistant paint, I just can't remember how high the temp goes. I just feel that the hot coals would burn the paint off and wouldn't try it.

Robert

Both Gator and LSG sell charcoal grates to be used in smoking chamber, but I have often wondered same as you whether its a good idea. Sounds like easy way to burn off the seasoning and/or paint

In addition to paint worries, I would also be concerned that the exhaust intake is below the cooking grate , I think, on a Jambo and may not be efficient as a grill. I also vote for you to buy a new grill.

Hang on a minute.... my Weber has a charcoal grate. I put burning charcoal on that grate and grill away. Now... a charcoal grate inside a horizontal pipe with 1/4 inch steel walls such as a smoker is built from and we are worried about the paint? but.... why does the paint remain on my Weber? Just wondering ..... :-D

Both Gator and LSG sell charcoal grates to be used in smoking chamber, but I have often wondered same as you whether its a good idea. Sounds like easy way to burn off the seasoning and/or paint

I can tell you that my patio gator pit sees more use as a charcoal grill than as a smoker. I use it direct cooking at least 3x a week and I have no problems with paint or seasoning.

Hang on a minute.... my Weber has a charcoal grate. I put burning charcoal on that grate and grill away. Now... a charcoal grate inside a horizontal pipe with 1/4 inch steel walls such as a smoker is built from and we are worried about the paint? but.... why does the paint remain on my Weber? Just wondering ..... :-D

Aren’t Webers porcelain enamel and not just paint?

Aren’t Webers porcelain enamel and not just paint?

Yes, they are! A 1/4 inch pipe with a charcoal grate with only hot charcoal (not firewood) and there will be a problem? Maybe so.....but I not not profess to know the answer one way or the other. It just just seems like it would not be a problem. Someone else posted that both Gator and LSG make pipe grills. I have seen them at both shops since I live nearby to both. Maybe they have no idea what they are doing. You think?

Yes, they are! A 1/4 inch pipe with a charcoal grate with only hot charcoal (not firewood) and there will be a problem? Maybe so.....but I not not profess to know the answer one way or the other. It just just seems like it would not be a problem. Someone else posted that both Gator and LSG make pipe grills. I have seen them at both shops since I live nearby to both. Maybe they have no idea what they are doing. You think?

I do say your logic makes sense. :thumb:

It’s kind of a permanent grill on my patio and I leave it outside uncovered. It’s starting to look faded and have spots of rust that have removed paint already so I guess if it does need refinishing from this experiment it’s not the end of the world. I mean I’d rather use the **** out of this thing instead of the occasional smokes. What about the airflow entering and exiting at grate level. This should be enough to get my coals hot, not steak searing hot but chicken, burger and dog hot for example? I’ll look into the trays in the previous post..

I'm pretty sure Shirley Fab also offers an option so that you can grill in their main smoking chambers. I don't see why you couldn't do it on yours. Try it and see, that is the only way you will know.

I don’t see the problem...

Fill it up and light it up!

Have no fear of “burning off the seasoning” on the inside of the cooker. You can’t season anything that the food doesn’t touch...

Back