My pit boss just exploded on video!

Shadowdog500

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I was about 2 hours into the cook when I noticed billowing smoke coming out of my pit boss. It exploded before I could shut it down. The grill gets cleaned after every cook because I usually use a wood burning diffuser now. I was not using my heavy D wood burning diffuser on this cook because the butts were wrapped in banana leaves and were coated with Hawaiian pink sea salt and liquid smoke, per the recipe I was using.

I would have been asleep but I stayed up to make the poi and haupia dessert. Glad I looked outside one last time before going to bed!!

Wonder if I could replace the pellet part of the grill with a wood burner box and turn it into an offset?
I won’t trust this smoker anymore.

Enjoy the video. https://youtu.be/Vt080KSjvlA
Chris

Last edited:
it looks like you turned it back on after a flameout. if a pellet cooker ever goes out you need to clear the firepot before relighting.

operator error.

Wow!

Glad you are okay.

Thanks, when I saw the billowing smoke I almost expected this because I’ve seen the other videos. I shut it down, unplugged it, and drained all of the pellets out of the hopper. How I staying up for an hour to let things cool down before going to bed.

Thanks,

Chris

it looks like you turned it back on after a flameout. if a pellet cooker ever goes out you need to clear the firepot before relighting.

operator error.

Nope! Why do you automatically assume that?!?!

I Turned it on and let it stabilize on 250 for a half hour while we seasoned and wrapped the butts. Then put them on and walked in the house. This was 2 hours into the cook. I assume the fire went out on its own and it started to feed extra pellets all on its own.

I’m done with pellet cookers!

Chris

That’s crazy! Can absolutely understand why you don’t want to use it anymore... I’d be in the same boat. Pellet or not, if I cannot trust a cooker to maintain safe, steady and consistent operation I quickly lose interest in it.

I Turned it on and let it stabilize on 250 for a half hour while we seasoned and wrapped the butts. Then put them on and walked in the house. This was 2 hours into the cook. I assume the fire went out on its own and it started to feed extra pellets all on its own.

Chris

I know when things go wrong, it can be very frustrating... It sometimes can make you want to throw in the towel and move onto something else... I think, if You would retrace your steps on this cook, you would see what issues and perhaps missteps that caused this flameout. From reading your post, the problem was with your preheating procedures/steps. I posted on another forum site last year on how to prevent flameouts from happening on PB Pellet Grills... I almost had the same exact problem happen to me, but I was able to clear out the fire pot and all the pellets that had spilled over into the bottom of the pellet grill before the explosion occurred. I figured out that I didn’t preform the required Preheating Procedures and I just went and plugged in the grill and dialed in my desired temp... ie.. Set it and Forget it... Big Mistake.. I had to figure out that my PB Austin XL requires at least a 20-30 min. preheating. As per the Owners Manual, turn the grill on first and set it on P4 and the Smoke setting with the lid open and wait til the ignition has started, then I needed to preheat at a minimum 300* degrees for 20-30 mins. and once the grills temps settles and stabilizes at a solid 300* degrees, then I could set my grill to my desired temp after that. I believe your Owners Manual says to preheat your PB 820 on the high setting... I would next time dial in your P-setting and wait for the pellets to ignite with the lid open, then once the ignition has started, I would preheat at 300*-350* degrees for a minimum 20-30 mins. and let the grills temp settle and stabilize. Also, ensure the pellets in the hopper are flowing through the Auger Tube and into the fire pot smoothly. A Hopper full of pellets and a good stirring of the pellets really helps. That was back in June 2018 and I haven’t suffered a Flame Out since. I always say, Never take short cuts in the proper preheating procedures and operation of any Pellet Grill. From what I read in your posting, You just turned your grill on and set the temp to 250* degrees for 30mins. Something as simple as not preheating your grill correctly each and every time can cause flameouts to happen. Sometimes we can get away with shortcuts, but it only takes that one time and then we find out the hard way of what could happen. These Grills are so much like an oven, but they burn wood pellets and our ovens in our homes do not... Your PB 820 is a Non PID Controller Pellet Grill, so Preheating is crucial in the prevention of flameouts and wild temp swings... I wouldn’t give up on your grill just yet... Only You know what you did and didn’t do correctly on this particular cook. Good luck and I’m sure You’ll figure out what happened. Don’t give up, it’s a simple fix and correction.

Last edited:
The title TOLD me it was going to explode....I jumped a bit anyway.

If I had been there, I might have had to "excuse myself" and come back with clean undies.

Glad you were OK- how did this change your dinner plans?

On start up the door has to be open to let out the fumes, that's what happens when you don't. No idea why it did it but looks like you were expecting it seeing as you were videoing ?

We had a pit boss 820 that did that a few times on a bit more grander scale, had previously changed out the electronics, igniter and sensor to no avail.

We hauled it out to the 50 yard marker at the range and did that thing a favor.

I had been on the fence about pellet smokers...

I think I just climbed back down....

That is scary.

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chris

because you were filming....and the comment at the end. it's like you wanted to see if you could make it fail.

I know when things go wrong, it can be very frustrating... It sometimes can make you want to throw in the towel and move onto something else... I think, if You would retrace your steps on this cook, you would see what issues and perhaps missteps that caused this flameout. From reading your post, the problem was with your preheating procedures/steps. I posted on another forum site last year on how to prevent flameouts from happening on PB Pellet Grills... I almost had the same exact problem happen to me, but I was able to clear out the fire pot and all the pellets that had spilled over into the bottom of the pellet grill before the explosion occurred. I figured out that I didn’t preform the required Preheating Procedures and I just went and plugged in the grill and dialed in my desired temp... ie.. Set it and Forget it... Big Mistake.. I had to figure out that my PB Austin XL requires at least a 20-30 min. preheating. As per the Owners Manual, turn the grill on first and set it on P4 and the Smoke setting with the lid open and wait til the ignition has started, then I needed to preheat at a minimum 300* degrees for 20-30 mins. and once the grills temps settles and stabilizes at a solid 300* degrees, then I could set my grill to my desired temp after that. I believe your Owners Manual says to preheat your PB 820 on the high setting... I would next time dial in your P-setting and wait for the pellets to ignite with the lid open, then once the ignition has started, I would preheat at 300*-350* degrees for a minimum 20-30 mins. and let the grills temp settle and stabilize. Also, ensure the pellets in the hopper are flowing through the Auger Tube and into the fire pot smoothly. A Hopper full of pellets and a good stirring of the pellets really helps. That was back in June 2018 and I haven’t suffered a Flame Out since. I always say, Never take short cuts in the proper preheating procedures and operation of any Pellet Grill. From what I read in your posting, You just turned your grill on and set the temp to 250* degrees for 30mins. Something as simple as not preheating your grill correctly each and every time can cause flameouts to happen. Sometimes we can get away with shortcuts, but it only takes that one time and then we find out the hard way of what could happen. These Grills are so much like an oven, but they burn wood pellets and our ovens in our homes do not... Your PB 820 is a Non PID Controller Pellet Grill, so Preheating is crucial in the prevention of flameouts and wild temp swings... I wouldn’t give up on your grill just yet... Only You know what you did and didn’t do correctly on this particular cook. Good luck and I’m sure You’ll figure out what happened. Don’t give up, it’s a simple fix and correction.

I always start it up the same way. Open the lid, put it on smoke, let it run until the the smoke clears and the fire is burning hot, then close the lid and set it to temp. I let it stabilize on temp for a half hour why preparing and wrapping the pork. Then I put the pork on and closed the door and let it run for a couple of hours until this happened. I walked past the thing multiple times during the cook time ant the pit temp was good ant the meat was climbing the entire time.

Then after 2 hours I saw the the billowing smoke. I know these things can blow like it did after seeing all the videos, but was hoping that this was a momentary thing and let it go for a minute or so before deciding to shut it down. I started filming to document what happened and wound up getting the explosion.

I didn’t do anything different from the way I’ve done this before, so I’m thinking that the fire somehow went out in the middle of the cook and the pit boss was trying to recover. I’m thinking that they could easily add some logic to the controller program to automatically shut off if the temp still drops off after adding pellets for a while.

I opened it up this morning and didn’t see what I expected. I expected to see a bunch of pellets all over the place and all there was were pellets in the cup and a small amount that looks like it blew out during the explosion. Here is a photo link. The photo shows up huge when posting here so I am just giving a link. Chris
https://i527.photobucket.com/albums...-66A2-4D5D-A48C-CD72C291FF11_zps0vv2imzc.jpeg

Last edited:
because you were filming....and the comment at the end. it's like you wanted to see if you could make it fail.

I’ve seen enough videos of these blowing that I knew this could happen when I saw the billowing smoke. Glad I caught it on camera.

Chris

On start up the door has to be open to let out the fumes, that's what happens when you don't. No idea why it did it but looks like you were expecting it seeing as you were videoing ?

I was half expecting to see an explosion when I saw the billowing smoke. Smitty posted a bunch of links to videos of this happening. This is not a unheard of event.

I did do a proper startup and the pit was running properly for a couple hours before this happened.

Chris

Back