MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:30 PM   #2791
GatorBeerGeek
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKING! View Post
I’ve tried all those except for the mesquite. I haven’t used mesquite in a long time.
I was a bit worried about mesquite when I broke into that open bag of Traeger pellets you see perched up on top that came with my grill since I dont cook a lot of beef. My wife liked the taste on some chicken breast I made, and it worked really well for my first attempt at brisket. I thought it was worth it to get a bag to try. I am slightly worried that a better brand of mesquite pellets might be more than I bargained for though. We will see.
GatorBeerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-26-2019, 01:13 PM   #2792
ice_mf_mike
Full Fledged Farker

going to smoke some meatloaf. Im still getting used to timing on the Pellet Smoker(Mak 1).

I have 3 1.5 lb meatloafs.

Lets say i use the smoke mode(~170 degrees) for an hour then smoke at 225 from there on. Roughly how long would you expect this to take?

Also if i sit it on foil, any issues getting smoke on the underside?

Thanks.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:42 PM   #2793
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_mf_mike View Post
going to smoke some meatloaf. Im still getting used to timing on the Pellet Smoker(Mak 1).

I have 3 1.5 lb meatloafs.

Lets say i use the smoke mode(~170 degrees) for an hour then smoke at 225 from there on. Roughly how long would you expect this to take?

Also if i sit it on foil, any issues getting smoke on the underside?

Thanks.
Best guess would be a 3-4 hour cook time. That said, in my opinion, I see no solid reason to cook a meatloaf at that low of a temp. The MAK's produce a ton of smoke all the way through the 200 degree range... even into the lower 300's. I am starting to think that I get more smoke production at 245 than I do on 'smoke'. Not sure if you are aware of this... but the MAK's use a variable speed fan. Within that variable speed functionality, there are 3 additional categories... low, medium and high. Low is considered a controller temp set between smoke-245... a medium temp is between 250-295... and the high temp is => 300. So, depending on what temp you are cooking at, not only does the fan run at variable speeds, but the rpms are governed within the low and medium heat ranges. Any temp at 245 or lower and the fan will not exceed 60% of it's max rpms... any temp between 250-295 and the fan will not exceed 80% or it's max rpms... and any temp 300+ and the fan is capable of hitting 100% of it's max rpms when needed. I tell you this to say that 245 is really a sweet spot to cook at on the MAK's as you still get incredible smoke production due to the lower max rpm's, plus your cooks won't take so darn long. I also find the end result to more often than not be more desirable when cooked in the mid 200's for the entire duration of the cook. Doesn't mean you can't cook other ways and have great results... this is just based on my experience(s) and opinions... :)

As far as cooking on foil, I don't prefer it. If you are considering that for easy cleanup, I'd suggest a cookie sheet with a cooling rack inside. Set your food on the cooking rack. That will allow smoke to fully circulate around the food and catch the drippings. Works great!
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq

Last edited by rwalters; 06-26-2019 at 01:49 PM..
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-26-2019, 02:51 PM   #2794
ice_mf_mike
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Best guess would be a 3-4 hour cook time. That said, in my opinion, I see no solid reason to cook a meatloaf at that low of a temp. The MAK's produce a ton of smoke all the way through the 200 degree range... even into the lower 300's. I am starting to think that I get more smoke production at 245 than I do on 'smoke'. Not sure if you are aware of this... but the MAK's use a variable speed fan. Within that variable speed functionality, there are 3 additional categories... low, medium and high. Low is considered a controller temp set between smoke-245... a medium temp is between 250-295... and the high temp is => 300. So, depending on what temp you are cooking at, not only does the fan run at variable speeds, but the rpms are governed within the low and medium heat ranges. Any temp at 245 or lower and the fan will not exceed 60% of it's max rpms... any temp between 250-295 and the fan will not exceed 80% or it's max rpms... and any temp 300+ and the fan is capable of hitting 100% of it's max rpms when needed. I tell you this to say that 245 is really a sweet spot to cook at on the MAK's as you still get incredible smoke production due to the lower max rpm's, plus your cooks won't take so darn long. I also find the end result to more often than not be more desirable when cooked in the mid 200's for the entire duration of the cook. Doesn't mean you can't cook other ways and have great results... this is just based on my experience(s) and opinions... :)

As far as cooking on foil, I don't prefer it. If you are considering that for easy cleanup, I'd suggest a cookie sheet with a cooling rack inside. Set your food on the cooking rack. That will allow smoke to fully circulate around the food and catch the drippings. Works great!

Thanks. Ill give it a try at 200-225 then and see how much smoke i get.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:15 PM   #2795
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBeerGeek View Post
I ended up going to visit my parents before the Rural King sale was over last weekend and bought a few more bags. I think I should be good to go for quite some time now.

Got plenty of 100% Hickory and Competition Blend. Would like to try Pecan.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:27 PM   #2796
Bigsmokering
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : M

Pictures of my pork butt (shoulder for the all the OG's) cook this weekend. Cooked on a silverbac alpha at 225 degrees. Burning the B&B competition blend, with 1 cherry mojobrick barbecube and an AMAZN tube filled with hickory wood chips and and cherry pellets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190623_122209.jpg (89.0 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg 20190627_003435.jpg (54.6 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190627-003709_Gallery.jpg (75.0 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg 20190623_210908.jpg (95.2 KB, 177 views)

Last edited by Bigsmokering; 06-26-2019 at 11:40 PM..
Bigsmokering is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2019, 06:58 AM   #2797
AussieMatt
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Matt

Looking at an GMG Jim Bowie "Prime". Anyone have any experience with the GMG's?

Weber Original 22" - RIP
UDS
Fiskgriddle
Weber Kettle Premium - Copper
AussieMatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2019, 08:09 AM   #2798
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Got a Daniel Boone. Pretty happy with it. Not sure what the difference is with the prime designation.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:57 AM   #2799
GatorBeerGeek
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

With the number of us in the Atlanta metro area in this thread, I think we need to change the tag line from "The city too busy to hate" to "The city too busy to tend a fire"
GatorBeerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2019, 11:35 AM   #2800
AussieMatt
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnbiker View Post
Got a Daniel Boone. Pretty happy with it. Not sure what the difference is with the prime designation.
From what I can see, it's a redesigned controller...I think.

Weber Original 22" - RIP
UDS
Fiskgriddle
Weber Kettle Premium - Copper
AussieMatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2019, 11:56 AM   #2801
ice_mf_mike
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post

Quote:
Thanks. Ill give it a try at 200-225 then and see how much smoke i get.

So did some meatlaof last night. Came out good but not enough smoke for my tastes. SMoked at ~225 for about 3.5 hours. BTW i do get a great amount of visible smoke so i dont think that is the issue. I think the apple pellets are just a bit mild for me. It is a very clean taste however. I am going to use a stronger flavored wood pellet next and see how that goes. worst case ill add one of those Amazn tubes if i have to. Im betting i wont however with the stronger wood pellet.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:21 PM   #2802
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Quote:
So did some meatlaof last night. Came out good but not enough smoke for my tastes. SMoked at ~225 for about 3.5 hours. BTW i do get a great amount of visible smoke so i dont think that is the issue. I think the apple pellets are just a bit mild for me. It is a very clean taste however. I am going to use a stronger flavored wood pellet next and see how that goes. worst case ill add one of those Amazn tubes if i have to. Im betting i wont however with the stronger wood pellet.
For beef I tend to get best results with hickory pellets.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:27 PM   #2803
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBeerGeek View Post
With the number of us in the Atlanta metro area in this thread, I think we need to change the tag line from "The city too busy to hate" to "The city too busy to tend a fire"
Even though I have a pooper, I'm still a fire tending fool!

Old 06-28-2019, 06:33 PM   #2804
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Fixing to wrap up a 6 pork butt cook. Each one averaging 8 pounds. Cooked at 225 deg most of the way through and bumped up to 245 deg a couple hours ago. I got 5 pork butts to cook Sunday as well.

Last edited by BKING!; 08-14-2019 at 03:21 PM..
BKING! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2019, 07:47 PM   #2805
mahenryak
Full Fledged Farker

Default Tip of the Hat to Smokin Brothers Support

Hello. I just had my first minor problem with my pellet grill--a Smokin Brothers Premier-36 purchased June 2017. I wanted to give a shout out to their support. I called them with very little information in hand--my name, address and grill--and within two hours I received notification that my Hot Rod had shipped. Before that the nice lady on the phone wanted to make sure I knew how to ignite the pellets manually, since it might not be until Tuesday before my replacement part shows up. The part itself is only $36. It was covered by my three-year warranty. I was just very impressed with the service. (I hope it's appropriate that I posted this here.)

Last edited by mahenryak; 06-28-2019 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: Wanted to include length of ownership
mahenryak is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.