St Louis zero wrap?

mph33

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Experimenting again and I should have waited till tomorrow but I was restless and wanted to try. I'm trying to keep the temperature under 250° tonight with zero aluminum foil or butcher paper. Let's hear your best advice.

I do them that way once in a while for something different. Just cook them until they are tender!

Not sure there is any advice to add. Check them with the bend test by picking them up with tongs in the middle; they will almost feel like they are going to break apart when they are done.
I have used a commercial mop sauce that had vinegar and spices after maybe two hours, if you like that. If you have time, Google wickers bbq sauce recipe.

That's how I do my rib cooks every time. Pull when they bend or a toothpick probes tender.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That's how I do them, too. I spritz with some sort of liquid every hour or so and rely on bend and probe feel to say when they are done.

Never had a prob with them wrapped or unwrapped. Good either way as long as they pass the bend test. Just my .02.

4 hours at 275° unwrapped is my favorite way to cook St. Louis style spare ribs. I still temp and probe them for tenderness, but 4 hours really seems to work perfectly just about every time.

4 hours at 275° unwrapped is my favorite way to cook St. Louis style spare ribs. I still temp and probe them for tenderness, but 4 hours really seems to work perfectly just about every time.

I'm at four and a half hours been cooking between 2:35 and 2:55 the internal temperature on both is around 170 to 172°, looks like these will take about 5 hours to do. I'm curious, should I apply a light coat of rub after the ribs come up to temp

I'm at four and a half hours been cooking between 2:35 and 2:55 the internal temperature on both is around 170 to 172°, looks like these will take about 5 hours to do. I'm curious, should I apply a light coat of rub after the ribs come up to temp

I'm probably a bit late in responding here but I never apply a 2nd coat of rub. That's just my personal preference, so to each their own.

So how did they turn out? I am guessing just fine as long as you didn't fall asleep :-D

Wrapping is totally not necessary...

You’ll see...

I stopped wrapping. I cook way to many ribs for it to be practical. I have not noticed any fall off in quality. I let em go for 2.5 hours. Then I sauce and flip them. One hour later sauce and flip em back upright. Pull them when they are done. Cook at 250.

I tried wrapping a few times, trying to live the 3-2-1 mantra. What I found (pellet grill 225deg) was that four hours +/- does the deed and the foil is a waste of time. I just wait for a good bend test and pull 'em. A full six hours would probably make mush or worse.

As long as "rib wrapper" does not turn into a pejorative. 'Cause some time- I am that very thing. Some days I wrap- some days I run nekkid- depends on the mood... and the temp outside.

I used to always wrap. On occasion it turned the ribs to mush. Now I never wrap and it always turns out perfect.

You guys are trouble. I have never not wrapped but I just went and got a rack out of the freezer and am not going to wrap or trim the spares to try something new! Trouble I tell you!

Back