MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
kghart
Got Wood.

Default Liability Insurance

This past May I pulled a temporary vending permit from my HD and event insurance to "test the waters" selling PP sandwiches at our local hardware supply. Sold out two hours early the first day and an hour early the second. Now I'm looking at getting my permanent health permit and liability insurance to continue vending and do some catering.

I'm getting quotes on $1,000,000 in liability coverage between $1300 -$1700. This seems high since I've seen comments on this forum that insurance could run between $500 - $700.

Does this seem out of line to anyone else?

Old 07-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Is that quote for a year or for 6 months? Are you going to just do this during the summer months? Those quotes don't sound too out of line.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Seems pretty close, at least from what I've seen in my area.

I carry a $1M per occurrence, up to $2M per year policy that covers liability at my restaurant, plus outside vending, and that runs me close to $1,900/year. But I also have additional endorsements for damage I cause to spaces rented out to me at an event, extended coverage for employees driving non-company cars, etc.

So if you're looking for liability insurance that strictly covers vending, those prices don't seem too out of line. Some of the really low quotes you may find people talking about might be basic umbrella policies, not necessarily commercial liability policies.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
themidniteryder
Knows what a fatty is.

Out here in the land of the money hungry and over regulation, I was quoted $850 for a 1mil GL to cover catering for a year. Vending, so far I have grabbed at a per event basis @ $90 per event. I did find a policy recently for a cater that covered a 1 time event (banquet hall, food liability, halls commercial prep kitchen, the whole event) for $90 based on 175 attendance. It may be different where your at, but here it seems catering and vending are considered 2 separate liabilities and require different policies.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:34 AM   #5
LostNation
Full Fledged Farker

Insurance is cheap in VT, I pay $400 per year and other then the 1M-2M coverage all my equipment, signage, trailer and my pit
Old 07-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
kghart
Got Wood.

This if one year and I'll be catering year round (hopefully) but only vending a couple times a month during the warmer months. I don't plan to do fair/festival type vending. Just setup in a local parking lot and sell sandwiches.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

It may be that business insurance for food related businesses cost more, because of the food poisoning risk.

I pay about $750 a year for $2-million in liability for my professional photography business.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Hijack on.

CD, does your insurance cover the car if you are driving it to a site?

Hijack off.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
Hijack on.

CD, does your insurance cover the car if you are driving it to a site?

Hijack off.
No. The car owners are responsible for that. It is a weird setup.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Tags
catering, insurance, vending