MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-02-2020, 01:23 PM   #31
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Check out this SAUSAGE page. Near the bottom of the Recipe Secrets page check out the guidelines for spice usage. This chart comes from "Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages". So when you are putting together a recipe from scratch, or just want to add one or two additional flavors you will have a starting place.

There is a tab for a cure calculator, and a great recipe page

KCBS - CBJ & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 11-03-2020, 08:29 AM   #32
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

HI All Thanks for All the information..My goal here was to make some thing like Texas smoked sausages, where the casing snap and the juices come running out. I used the mixes because I didn't want to add any more spices to the ones I already have.
In my fresh Italian sausages I did use NFDM..I was under the impression that the phosphate should have worked out better.

Well all is not lost, at least I got my feet into smoked sausage.Next time I should be much better results.
Last question could the sausages got soo hard because my smoking temps were too high..They did reach 155 in under 2 hrs. My pellet smoker was set for 180 ,but the probe on grate was reading 200* at times.
Thanks Again
Dan

Old 11-04-2020, 03:37 PM   #33
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Brisket Fat

Hi All Just picked up a 12lb packer @ Sam's. Now I should have enough fat for my next smoked sausage adventure.Stay tuned.
DanB

Old 11-04-2020, 04:50 PM   #34
scp
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Barry

I would recomend pork fat over beef fat....with pork back fat as the best. I am not an expert...but have read a lot about sausage making...and don't recall anyone recomending beef fat.

Old 11-05-2020, 03:34 PM   #35
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Beef Fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by scp View Post
I would recomend pork fat over beef fat....with pork back fat as the best. I am not an expert...but have read a lot about sausage making...and don't recall anyone recomending beef fat.
OK all if I'm going to use beef in my smoked sausages what shoulds the fat ratio be.
1.80/20
2.70/30
I'm Not going to use any of the mixes or phosphate this time around.
I will using NFDM and hope for better results.
Thanks DanB

Old 11-16-2020, 08:25 AM   #36
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
All beef or a high ratio of beef to pork sausages are harder to make moist than all pork or a high ratio of pork to beef. I would start with small batch experiments, say 2 or 3 pounds, and not concentrate on casing the sausage. For your experimental links make skinnies, Any remainder you can keep in bulk or make patties for breakfast or sausage burgers. For your pork use ground pork butt, they are a perfect fat ratio, and for your beef buy bulk burger that is confirmed at 70:30.

Since you will be smoking the test run sausage.... Go ahead and add the correct amounts of Cure #1, and AmesPhos mixed with water (remember you were heavy on the phosphates), and make sure the meat is icy cold when you mix all of the ingredients. Add additional icy water until you get a sticky texture, don't follow the recipe amount, go by feel. Icy water is very important. Since you will be smoking it consider using non-fat dry milk 1% to 3%. I use NFDM on almost all of my smoked sausage. It is a binder and holds moisture.

Here is how to make skinnies: Form into 1" to 1.5" logs, wrap in clear plastic, twist one end and tie off. Hold the other end and twist the link and tie off. Let these rest in the fridge about 18 hours.

For cold smoking just use your pellet tube for 2 or 3 hours, block the door open as you want as much draft as possible. Either finish on the smoker or in the oven at 180° (if that's the lowest temp you can staTrt with), until the internal is 155°. These are all beef skinless skinnies... the cure is what makes the color bloom. They will perform almost like a cased sausage.

For reference, this is my typical grind size, if you go finer, re-chill before the second grinding.

Hi I had some blows out when making links. I think I stuffed to tight, so I made it into one of your skinnies.
Thanks DanB

Last edited by DanB; 11-16-2020 at 09:59 AM..
DanB is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2020, 12:03 PM   #37
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Hi I had some blows out when making links. I think I stuffed to tight, so I made it into one of your skinnies.
Thanks DanB
Sometimes salt content will tighten the mix between mixing time and stuffing time. A spray bottle with icy water is a good idea so you can mist the meat when loading the barrel if it feels stiff.

KCBS - CBJ & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Old 11-17-2020, 04:18 PM   #38
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Sausages

Hi All The sausages have been smoked. Much better then the 1st time, they were much juicy..Even the premix ones came out good this time. I'm going to have cut down on some of the spices. The pan under the grates worked out good kept temps much lower.
Thanks Guys for all your help.
Dan
PS The redish ones where the beef
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20201116_190803346.jpg (62.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20201116_190726889.jpg (71.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20201116_190822481.jpg (60.5 KB, 17 views)

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-17-2020, 07:32 PM   #39
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Hi All The sausages have been smoked. Much better then the 1st time, they were much juicy..Even the premix ones came out good this time. I'm going to have cut down on some of the spices. The pan under the grates worked out good kept temps much lower.
Thanks Guys for all your help.
Dan
PS The redish ones where the beef
Those links look good. With this whole rodeo you have been through, I'm really glad you finally see a positive, and have a baseline recipe and technique to work with in your quest for the 'Best of the Wurst'. Now from here on out..... it's all fine tuning, which can take 10 years or so,

KCBS - CBJ & CTC
Oil Patch Horizontal