Best Offset Smoker for under $1,000?

AKMIMNAK

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been smoking for a few years now and am looking to upgrade past the entry level smokers I've been using (started with Masterbuilt electric, graduated to Weber grill smoking, and finally to Pit Barrel Cooker). I still want to be able to use charcoal/wood but I do not want another UDS. What are my options for under $1,000?

So far the Yoder Cheyenne and the Big Poppa Meadow Creek are about all I can find, everyone else is making pellet smokers only (I've heard pellet smokers can leave you wanting a little more when it comes to smoke ring and flavor, is that true?).

Am I missing a brand/model/option you would recommend? Should I reconsider pellet smokers? Thanks!

Jonathan
Upper Michigan

Lang Original 36 or 48 patio. They are a bit over a grand especially with shipping from Georgia but more than well worth the extra time to save up.

Scott

Attachments

• 20170725_201505.jpg
    20170725_201505.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 1,192
???????

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU5ZUk7g8cY&t=158s"]Is this the best cheap offset smoker? Epic Bayou Classic Offset Review - YouTube[/ame]

Check out Bell Fab in Tulsa, OK. Craig bell is a great guy and will build you a one off smoker to your personal specifications and needs. His material is first grade and the fabrication is great.

Old country has a nice large 1/4" steel pit called the brazos for a grand. Academy sport usually carry them around here so maybe if you have one near you they would ship it to the store and it would be easy to pick up. Tough to beat.

Agree with Smitty & JayQ. Pits do come and go on Academy's website, and the brazos wasn't listed on the website anymore for awhile (at least the last few months, I think). Looks like Alejandro (Old Country BBQ Pit builder/owner) has got some more stock over to them and the brazos is available on the academy site again. If you don't have an academy local to you (I don't) shipping is probably better than just about anywhere...for example, last I checked, academy would ship the 4-500ish lb brazos to me from TX to CA for $99.

I would NOT buy a 16" - esp for $825..........20" x 42" minimum or even better 24" x 48"..

i cut my teeth with an old country bbq pit pecos. i served its purpose to get me hooked! had some damn good Q come off of it.

Thanks all! TONS of good info to work through and think about.

DL8gRGml.jpg

8P7Cv63l.jpg

Lv3Omh4l.jpg

They clearance them all out -sold them all

It's the first I've ever heard of this smoker or the deal at Costco. Do you know if they bring them back annually, or if this was a one off promo?

Back