• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

"Cast Iron" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) LASTS Through Tuesday, May 31st!!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our New Throwdown Category is...

"Cast Iron!"

bowhnter.jpg

This was bowhntr's entry in our FIRST "Cast Iron Throwdown" in 2010!

As chosen by SMOKE FREAK for winning the "Family Recipes" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - PLEASE READ:

SMOKE FREAK said:
I'd like the next Throwdown category to be "Cast Iron". You are to make a dish using cast iron cookware, which can include a griddle, Dutch Oven, skillet, etc, as long as it's made of cast iron. You could cook on a cast iron dish on a grill, in a smoker, or even over an open fire. You could also grill on cast iron grates, you could put a cast iron dish in the smoker to absorb smoky goodness, as long as your dish features grilled/smoked foods. Carbon steel pans and griddles also qualify!

You may submit entries that are cooked from 5/13 through 5/31.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Noon Central US Time on Tuesday, 5/31/22.

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Wow.
There used to be a lot more participation in the throwdowns back then. (before my time)
Both, more entries and more voters.

Wow.
There used to be a lot more participation in the throwdowns back then. (before my time)
Both, more entries and more voters.

Internet forums were still relatively new then, texting was in its infancy and tablets didn't even exist yet. Now there's a lot more platforms, distractions and clutter competing for shorter attention spans. People also just come and go, for various reasons. Nonetheless, even in those days, we had numerous Throwdowns with low turnout. Last year's July Special "Summer Cookouts" had about as many as the first cast iron TD I think you're referring to:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293416

If you want to help make a difference, when you see someone post a relevant cook thread in Qtalk, don't hesitate to invite them to the corresponding Throwdown! We've lured a few folks here by doing that who are now regular contributors.

Internet forums were still relatively new then, texting was in its infancy and tablets didn't even exist yet. Now there's a lot more platforms, distractions and clutter competing for shorter attention spans. People also just come and go, for various reasons. Nonetheless, even in those days, we had numerous Throwdowns with low turnout. Last year's July Special "Summer Cookouts" had about as many as the first cast iron TD I think you're referring to:

I get it. I've lived it at other sites.

Back