Leaving bark on wood for smoking

tjack

Reaction score
Is it considered taboo to leave the bark on wood that will be used in a smoker? If so, why?

My neighbour cut down some cherry trees, I "helped" him by disposing of the trees for him for free, sucker. Any way I just cut it into chunks bark and all and cook with it. Works great, tastes great.

I don't use wood with the bark on it just don't want to take a chance of it adding a funny flavor or something

I leave the bark on and it doesn't seem to be a problem. If I'm handling a split and it seems any of the bark will just kinda peel off easily, I do that, but otherwise it stays.

Sitnfat, how do you debark your wood? seems like a lot of effort to me. So far I have only used store bought chunks, but I have 2 chainsaws and lots of oak around. Interested in the general concensus is regarding tjack's question?

When I use birch I make sure all of the bark is off. (Creates a black oily smoke)

Any other wood, if it comes off, it comes off. I don't go out of my way to remove it.

I leave the bark on and it doesn't seem to be a problem. If I'm handling a split and it seems any of the bark will just kinda peel off easily, I do that, but otherwise it stays.

X2. If it comes off easy I take it off, otherwise leave it on.

I tend to notice I get alot of the funky smoke when I use a piece wood with bark still left on it. At least that's my experience with my kegs, other cookers dunno, maybe it's a non issue.

I often get white smoke and strong, dirty, off smells if I leave bark on in the egg.
In an offset, that smoke may last only a few minutes, but in an egg, especially at smoking temps, it may last up to an hour.
You can pre-burn any undesirable parts before adding it to your firebox if the bark doesn't strip easily.
Or add he bark-on pieces to your firebox at the end of a cook to let them burn a bit before shutting the fire down. Then they'll be ready for next time.

It's not a bit deal to me, but some of the people I cook for are awful sensitive to bad smoke flavors so I make an effort to avoid it when I can.

I suspect bark is blamed many times when the problem is simply a dirty fire. Get sweet thin blue with sufficient air to the fire and preheat seasoned splits so they'll ignite quickly and not smolder... bark on or barkless if it'll make you feel better.

One more on the "if it comes off, I dont use it, but other wise I dont have any problems that I can tell"

I leave the bark on with no ill effects. I go through a lot of wood and it just seems like a lot of work to remove

I leave the bark on unless it wants to jump off on its own, I dont fight it. Never noticed and difference in the flavor of the bbq.

Back