MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:30 AM   #46
nielreiebr
Found some matches.

Bandsaw works best for me.
nielreiebr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2014, 08:39 AM   #47
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Band saws are cool but I don't think the average person would have one. The SAFEST way would be a vise and a hand saw. You didn't ask for the fastest way.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #48
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The safest way is to have both hands on the piece of wood that is being cut. A clamp or a fence can be dangerous. A band saw would be my second choice. I use a table saw with both hands on the wood.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #49
smoke ninja

^^^^ safer than a hand saw?

Old 03-17-2014, 09:01 AM   #50
Bludawg

Buck rounds with the chainsaw and whack the rounds with a hatchet

Old 03-17-2014, 11:01 AM   #51
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

A bandsaw is by far the safest option, assuming you don't want to use a handsaw.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #52
bwram1
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a work bench on wheels that I can lock down...I mounted a vice to the left side...I roll it outside, lock the limbs in the vice and use a sawzall.

I can cut lengths for stick-burning or chunks to use with lump or charcoal. Use a leaf blower to rid yourself of the sawdust.
Old Country Smokehouse; Pit Barrel Cooker; WSM 22; Weber OTG 22; [COLOR=Blue][COLOR=Black]36"[/COLOR][COLOR=Black] Blackstone griddle; [/COLOR][B]BLUE[/B][/COLOR] Thermoworks Smoke; [COLOR=Blue][B]BLUE [/B][/COLOR]Thermapen; [B]BLACK[/B] Thermopop[COLOR=Red].[/COLOR]
bwram1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #53
Mo-Dave

Problem with all these is the wood is not always going to lay stable and can easily twist or rock when you are not expecting it while cutting, causing it to backlash and tear it out of your grip. Some of the most painful thing I have experienced was trying to cut with a chop saw, thought I had broken my hand, and it throbbed for a long time, even bent my saw blade. If I can not cut it with my chain saw by placing it on something high enough to keep my chain out of the dirt, I use my table saw, this has given me the best results. My table saw has a wide flat panel the slides while holding the wood on a guide fence. Whatever way you go, above all else consider the safety aspect. One of those small electric chain saws may be something to think about.
Dave

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-17-2014, 11:27 AM   #54
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Default Photo of Crosscut Bulk Pecan vs Academy Sports Pecan Chunks

Guess which is which? The bulk pecan is $1.50 per cubic foot. The Academy Sports pecan chunks are $15.00 per cubic foot.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #55
YetiDave
is one Smokin' Farker

Right would be the bulk I'm guessing

Old 03-17-2014, 11:34 AM   #56
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

I've bought enough of those bags to know thats it on the right. Looks like much fresher wood on the left.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #57
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Yeah, the Academy Sports bagged pecan chunks is on the right. Always has useless little pieces of kindling I end up having to use for grilling. I love the wood on the left, for 1/10th the cost! Wood is so much fresher as well. I will never buy bagged chunks of wood again. (No wonder some of the bagged wood chunks I buy burn up so fast without producing much smoke flavor--old wood.)

Old 03-17-2014, 11:37 AM   #58
Bperkins01
Full Fledged Farker

I'll have to respectfully disagree with the tablesaw. Unstable wood between a fence and a blade is not a good idea.. The tablesaw throws stuff at you..
A bandsaw is the safest 'expensive' tool way.
it cant throw wood at you..
keep fingers outside 4-5" radius from blade and you are good..
Bperkins01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-17-2014, 11:50 AM   #59
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bperkins01 View Post
I'll have to respectfully disagree with the tablesaw. Unstable wood between a fence and a blade is not a good idea.. The tablesaw throws stuff at you..
A bandsaw is the safest 'expensive' tool way.
it cant throw wood at you..
keep fingers outside 4-5" radius from blade and you are good..
I have a band saw but It is not a very good one, so I have not used it for that purpose. My table saw has been the best thing besides a chain saw I have used to date. It seems to me the blade on a table saw is running toward you, forcing the wood against the fence yet if it bucked it should cause the wood to move away and not toward you, at least this has been my experience with it. Actually I guess a good cross cut hand held saw use in a proper saw horse meant to cut logs would be the safest way, just not the fasts way.
Dave

Old 03-17-2014, 11:53 AM   #60
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
My wife, Karen, just returned from Mississippi with about that same amount. It was from a free source, with more to come. She also brought back 20# of wild caught crawfish from LA. Almost forgot the Zapp's potato chips and Abita Amber beer.
Wonderful, sounds like a very nice trip!