CaterGater Hotbox

Out of curiosity, when did the Cambros jump 100% in price? I've been reading, page by page, the catering/cooking for masses subforum and the prices I've seen discussed there are $125-$140 for the UPC/MPC300s.

Granted most of that pricing comes from the pages that are two+ years old but still, $125 to $280?? Was there some global shortage on spray foam or whatever is inside these things? Seems absurd.

That's why I'm looking at the Cater Gator and am waiting for an owner to chime in.

It works really well and seems to be of a quality build.

Attachments

• IMG_4708.jpg
    IMG_4708.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 233
  • Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Definitely good to know - thanks for the report G!

I bought one and we will put it to use in the next couple weeks and let ya'll know.

I bought one and we will put it to use in the next couple weeks and let ya'll know.

Ditto

I received mine this week along with two CaterGator 5 gallon insulated beverage dispensers. On a scale of 1-10 I’d give the beverage dispensers a 9 and the pan carrier an 8.

The metal hinges on the pan carrier needed a little adjustment and may need tweaking periodically. It’s rail setup make it capable of holding one more 2 1/2 pan than the comparable Cambro. But that same rail setup also means a Cambro thermobarrier wont fit in all the slots.

Got some questions for people that use Cambro's and others like this. I've been doing the poor man's Cambro (coolers) and soft sided insulated bags for years. Will these hold full sized aluminum pans without support? Can you double up on the aluminum pans? Can you use a hotel pan for support with an aluminum pan (so you can remove the aluminum pan and reuse the hotel pan)? Will using a hotel pan with the aluminum pan compromise how many pans will fit? I'm thinking about getting this and was curious. Thanks in advance.

I have two of these and I like them however I've noticed that my gaskets keep popping off the doors and I have to continuously put them back on which can be a pain when you don't have time to deal with it. I noticed a few online reviews from other caterers who are having the same problem. I plan to write the company but if they do not fix it then I'll probably pay the extra $30 and buy Carlisle next time. I have several of those and no gaskets ever pop off.

I have two of these and I like them however I've noticed that my gaskets keep popping off the doors and I have to continuously put them back on which can be a pain when you don't have time to deal with it. I noticed a few online reviews from other caterers who are having the same problem. I plan to write the company but if they do not fix it then I'll probably pay the extra $30 and buy Carlisle next time. I have several of those and no gaskets ever pop off.

That's really good to know. The Cambros/Carlisles seem to be down in price right now. I thought the last time I looked, they were a LOT more than the Gators. Right now it's close enough that it seems worth it to ante up and avoid the seal issue.

We have been using two of these. Excellent so far.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

we use aluminum pans with no support in Cambros all the time. Unless you load up 1 pan with 3 pork shoulders or more it'll hold just fine. That does not take into account cheap aluminum pans, I guess, but the ones we get at Costco work great in them.

Last edited:
Back