MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:23 PM   #1
food4thot
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Erik, E
Default Humorous Wagyu story

My mission to ruin a $250 Wagyu steak nearly destroyed my family

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:44 PM   #2
Fatback Joe
Babbling Farker

Pretty funny. Although, certain parts did make me cringe. LOL

WSM
Medium Spicewine
Stumps GF223
Humphrey's GF Tank II
24 x 60 Shirley Fabrication
Fatback Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2018, 01:09 PM   #3
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

Man! I wish I could afford to blow $250 bucks on something like that, it'll probably never happen.

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2018, 02:16 PM   #4
Jrogers84
is One Chatty Farker

LMAO thats great
Jrogers84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-06-2018, 02:25 PM   #5
Brad4450
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Brad

That's hilarious! I need somebody to send me one... any takers?

Old 08-06-2018, 02:46 PM   #6
ferdelious
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Matt

"in the process their flesh develops a fatty marbling that can only otherwise be found in your average Pittsburgh Steelers fan."

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-06-2018, 03:30 PM   #7
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Candice

"One of the hottest trends in rich @$$hole food right now is the Wagyu katsu sandwich"

This gem pretty much sums up my take on this "Waygu fad"
EyeBurnEverything is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2018, 03:41 PM   #8
ChrisL
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Chris

I have had this at Nobu and it is pretty nasty. I am not sure I understand the attraction.
ChrisL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2018, 06:09 PM   #9
gtsum
Babbling Farker

What a great read. Chuckling the whole time

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2018, 07:12 PM   #10
V1VRV2
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Kenny

A-5 Japanese Wagyu is delicious. Bought some to scratch it off my bucket list. Very rich and very different from US steaks. I liked it rare and dipped in tosa joyu sauce with some wasabi.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:02 PM   #11
OklaDustDevil
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ray

I’ve had A5 Wagu a couple times at fancy dinners. I must say I didn’t like it, but then I don’t like fat. If I order a prime ribeye at a great restaurant, I cut off the fat around the edge. If you eat that fat and like it, then you might like A5.

Apart from the fatty flavour, I also didn’t like the fatty texture. It has so much fat marbeled thru it that you keep feeling like you need to deconstruct it with a knife to separate the meat from the fat. Except it’s so integrated there is no way to do that. So you’re left eating this incredibly fatty meat that tastes like and has the texture of fat (with little bits of meat thru it).

Personally, I felt like I would have enjoyed far better the taste and texture of a perfectly cooked prime filet, and most at my tables felt the same. If it was a matter of a more expensive but better flavored steak, then I might be into it. But it is extrapolated to such a degree as to change its nature entirely — I no longer consider it a steak. Of course, if folks like it for what it is, then more power (and money) to you . . . .
Chuckwagon Cookers Horizontal Offset Stickburner
Southern Cookers Vertical Stickburner[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited by OklaDustDevil; 08-06-2018 at 11:17 PM..
OklaDustDevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2018, 06:59 AM   #12
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Candice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklaDustDevil View Post
I’ve had A5 Wagu a couple times at fancy dinners. I must say I didn’t like it, but then I don’t like fat. If I order a prime ribeye at a great restaurant, I cut off the fat around the edge. If you eat that fat and like it, then you might like A5.

Apart from the fatty flavour, I also didn’t like the fatty texture. It has so much fat marbeled thru it that you keep feeling like you need to deconstruct it with a knife to separate the meat from the fat. Except it’s so integrated there is no way to do that. So you’re left eating this incredibly fatty meat that tastes like and has the texture of fat (with little bits of meat thru it).

Personally, I felt like I would have enjoyed far better the taste and texture of a perfectly cooked prime filet, and most at my tables felt the same. If it was a matter of a more expensive but better flavored steak, then I might be into it. But it is extrapolated to such a degree as to change its nature entirely — I no longer consider it a steak. Of course, if folks like it for what it is, then more power (and money) to you . . . .
I am the same. I cut all the fat around a steak off after its cooked. I don't mind a nice marbled choice, or moderatly marbled prime steak, but i cut out most fat in a steak, especially the fat in a ribeye between the solid muscle and i believe its called the deckle?
EyeBurnEverything is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2018, 07:26 AM   #13
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:

I'm afraid this is how I would expect to feel.
Fortunately I will never spend $250 on one piece of meat.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2018, 09:18 AM   #14
hammb
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

To each their own.

I've yet to try true A5 Wagyu, but it seems to me that it's exactly what I want in a steak. My favorite piece of steak is the tail and/or deckle of the ribeye. The areas where it is a small amount of meat interlaced with delicious charred fat.

And there is no amount of bacon you can wrap around a filet to make me enjoy it. It's a bland (albeit tender) worthless scrap of beef as far as I'm concerned. It's only use to me would be to grind into hamburger and mix it with fat scraps leftover from a brisket or whatever. Of course I'd never do that because it would make for some colossally expensive hamburger.

From your description...I need to get my hands on some A5 Wagyu :)
hammb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-08-2018, 02:53 PM   #15
sickhick
Full Fledged Farker

Funny chit. The more fat the merrier..