MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:24 PM   #1
sackedbysapp
On the road to being a farker

Default Hunsaker cooker bark not setting.

I cook on a Hunsaker smoker with lump and cherry chunks between 250 and 300, having a problem with the bark not setting on ribs cooking on top rack(not hanging) stays wet than when I sauce them with a brush spreads the rub around. Should I try flipping?
sackedbysapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2018, 04:33 PM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I’ve never cooked ribs on the grate, so I’m really no help But, are you cooking meat up or down?

I flip butts and briskets a couple of times, so maybe try that?

SAVE THE DATE!!! 2019 Brethren Chicago Area Midwinter Lunch — Saturday, January 26th, 2019

The Naked Fatty!

4x Hunsaker Cans/PK360/Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2018, 04:42 PM   #3
sackedbysapp

No flip

Old 08-12-2018, 05:37 PM   #4
lennitt
Full Fledged Farker

I agree with the suggestion to flip. While on my Hunsaker I hang ribs when I do pork butts I flip every 30-45 minutes and that seems do the trick with evening out the bark.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:32 AM   #5
KevinJ
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I serve ribs dry and do not wrap, never had a problem with the bark on Ribs be it hanging or cooking on the grate bone side down, never felt the need to flip ribs cooking on the top grate position or anything else for that matter.

All American Moinkballer
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-13-2018, 10:03 AM   #6
LTG
Take a breath!

How long are you letting the rub sit on the meat before putting on the smoker?

Old 08-13-2018, 10:43 AM   #7
Mrhdvrod
Got Wood.

Try dropping the top rack down 1 level, I surprising get a good amount of moisture on the underside of my lid, perhaps it’s just too close. I dropped mine down when I was doing a turkey and started leaving it there.
Mrhdvrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2018, 11:21 AM   #8
sackedbysapp

Nite before or an hour before the go on.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:32 AM   #9
5am

I cook on a Gateway, with the Gateway basket(direct heat). I typically hang ribs but have been playing around with cooking them on the grate. If you're having issues with the bark not setting up, 1.Wait longer before wrapping 2.Make sure you're not spritzing them. 3. Go lighter on the rub
I'll check the bottoms every 30min or so, if the bottoms are not getting too dark I wont flip them over. Wait until the ribs are starting to sizzle, and the fat is starting to bubble and then wrap them. The ribs should have a nice color and it will kind of look like foam in some spots where the fat is bubbling. If you're not wrapping ribs, and still having issues setting up the rub, then yeah, try flipping so that the bones are up.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:33 PM   #10
mutts&butts
Got Wood.

I cook directly on the top grate and never flip. I go 1.5 hours @ 275 and then wrapped for an additional 45-60 minutes. The bark is always set up when I go to wrap. Never had an issue
mutts&butts is offline   Reply With Quote