MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:24 PM   #1
jasonjax
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Backyard Deep Fryer w/ some bells and whistles?

Anyone have a deep fryer in their cooking arsenal that they like a lot?

I remember talking to someone during a BBQ class, and he was talking about the fryer he has on his porch that has a built in system for keeping clean etc. I can't remember the name of the brand for the life of me, but I got to thinking if I had a fryer that I could keep the oil in good condition and all the junk would filter down somewhere cleanable I might would like having such a device!
jasonjax is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2018, 04:28 PM   #2
LYU370
Babbling Farker

Cajun Fryer?

https://cajunfryer.com/product-category/cajun-fryer/

FEC100 - Big Joe - Saber 500 Gasser
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2018, 04:44 PM   #3
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis

Dad has one of those and really likes it. I've used it a few times and it works well. Very heavy duty. He has the 4 gallon with stand model I believe.

Let's start planning the 2019 Spring Carolina Bash
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=266648

GOOD FOOD GOOD TIMES AND GOOD FRIENDS CAN BE FOUND HERE!! THE BBQ BRETHREN BASHES!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8
Blythewood BBQ'er is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2018, 05:27 PM   #4
Packmanjim
Full Fledged Farker

I have the Smokin' Cajun Gas Grill and it is a quality cooker for sure.
Smokey Joe mini
Smokin Cajun Gasser
Packmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2018, 05:40 PM   #5
Norm
Babbling Farker

I have the cajun fryer, works awesome.
White Thermapen
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2018, 08:22 AM   #6
jasonjax
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blythewood BBQ'er View Post
Dad has one of those and really likes it. I've used it a few times and it works well. Very heavy duty. He has the 4 gallon with stand model I believe.
You guys that have one of these, how does the cleaning work? it says the sediments fall to the bottom in a cooler zone of oil, but wondering how it works as far as cleaning them out.

Maybe as simple as once in a while you use a strainer and scoop it all out?

How long does the oil last in them before having to do a wholesale oil change?

Thanks for the responses. I'm pretty newbish when it comes to frying stuff!
jasonjax is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2018, 08:36 AM   #7
BigThicket
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brad

I would be curious to hear those answers, too.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:08 AM   #8
jimbotx
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Jim

We have a smaller one for kitchen use (https://www.amazon.com/T-fal-Basket-.../dp/B00NQ7QFGM) that we picked up at Sam's. When done cooking, flip lever, and as oil cools, flows down through a filter into a plastic bin for re-use or discarding. It's easy to clean - just usable for small batches though.
jimbotx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2018, 09:14 AM   #9
Joshw
is Blowin Smoke!

My favorite deep fryer is a cast iron dutch oven, on an induction burner. Great temp control, which is the # 1 thing in keeping oil in good shape. Depending on what I cook, I either throw the grease out, or strain it through cheese cloth, and put in an empty oil jug.
Joshw is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2018, 09:35 AM   #10
NickTheGreat
is One Chatty Farker

I just buy one of the real cheapo ones at Bass Pro or something every few years.

I have had one that had a drain/spigot on the bottom, and that ended up being a bad idea. It's too goopy and messy to actually used, and then it developed a leak!

I mostly fry tortilla chips and a few frozen foods, so I can get many fries out of my oil. But if you're breading catfish or things like that it's getting pretty dark after 3 or 4 fries. A turkey will finish the oil in one fry!

I try to scoop out particulates with a strainer. But I've never been one to run the oil through a filter like some guys. Maybe I should try it.

I've thought about getting a nicer burner for homebrewing and using that for frying as well. But I haven't yet.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:57 AM   #11
JQHigginsIII
Got rid of the matchlight.

I have the RV Works Cajun Fryer, 6 gallon. The bottom of the "pot" is V shaped and the burner sits above the V. All the bits drop to bottom of V where oil is cooler and bits don't burn. There is a drain on the back. I screw a fitting into it with a piece of hose attached to drain and filter. Just put filter in top of jug that oil came in, put hose inside filter, open valve. Once oil is drained, I will scrape out remaining bits. Pour oil back into "pot". Filter after 3 or 4 cooks. Six gallons of oil will be 350 - 375 in 12 -15 min. I fry fish, chicken wings, mozzarella sticks, hush puppies, soft shell crabs, shrimp, corn nuggets, ribs, etc. You name it, I fry it, all in the same oil. No hint of cross contamination. Bought mine off CL for $350. Money well spent.

I haven't fried a turkey in it yet but the guy I bought if from had.
JQHigginsIII is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-13-2018, 11:33 AM   #12
V1VRV2
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Kenny

I have the 4 gallon 2 basket Cajun Fryer by R&V Works and it works great. As stated in previous reply you can filter the oil and clean out the fryer as often as you like. I have a friend that went a whole year without changing or filtering the oil. I ate some fried fish that he cooked toward the end of that year (I didn't know this at the time, lol), and the fish tasted great and I didn't get sick. I certainly don't recommend this but the design of the fryer really does work well. They are super heavy duty and will last a very long time. They're not cheap, but I highly recommend this fryer.