• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Lamb, Butt and Rib smoke (In progress)

SmokinJohn

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I heard a voice say, "Smoke some lamb this weekend".

I thumb through my library and decide to use Steve Raichlen's Mexican Pit-BBQd Lamb recipe as a start.

The adobo:

IMG_2940.JPG

Guajillo peppers, salt, water, vinegar, allspice berries, cinnamon stick, onions, and garlic.

IMG_2942.JPG

Rehydrated the peppers, rough chopped the onion and garlic. Spun the spices in a grinder.

Drained the peppers, tossed everything in the Magic Bullet and boom! Lamb time!

IMG_2943.JPG

Note: That is a half lamb leg. Not sure I would buy it again. You will see why later.....

IMG_2945.JPG

Cut slits in the beast and rubbed that paste in....By the way, this paste goes well with pita chips and tortillas.

Time to marinate overnight...but wait, there's more....

Short ribs....should I marinate them Korean style?

IMG_2946.JPG

Nope....you farkers mentioned Huli Huli chicken in another thread, and I just happned to have some....

IMG_2947.JPG

Into a bag they go, and into the chiller with the lamb....Goodnight meat. I'll most likely smoke you in the morning...

Up in the morning prepping the pit...Wait, what's that?

IMG_2948.JPG

A pork butt? Seriously? Who let you in here? Ok. If you insist. Rub a dub dub...

IMG_2949.JPG

Into the smoker with you all!

IMG_2953.JPG

That strange looking piece of meat in the center is the bottom of my half leg of lamb. Doubt and fear are creeping in.

More on this story as it develops.

Man, that looks good!! The flavor combos you are using have my mouth watering. lol Great cook John!

Note: Jennifer reminded me today is Sunday, not Saturday. Had to foil the butt (it was at 170), and get ready for church.

Sorry for the delay. Church ran long and Jennifer wanted lunch. Foiling the butt worked. Moist. Tender.

IMG_2963.JPG

IMG_2964.JPG

Threw a couple of potatoes on to get them cooked.

IMG_2958.JPG

Verdict on the lamb:

IMG_2966.JPG

tender and moist, but the flavor didn't penetrate as much as I thought it would have. If I do this next time, I'm going to use an injector.

Looks like everything turned out awesome!

On leg of lamb I like to buy it de-boned or de-bone it myself. I then let it marinade in a baggie for 24 hours.

Looks like everything turned out awesome!

On leg of lamb I like to buy it de-boned or de-bone it myself. I then let it marinade in a baggie for 24 hours.

I thought about getting a deboned one, and why I didn't is beyond me.

Especially since I...(gasp) tossed the bone, when I could have made a lamb stock from it.

But I think I will buy a deboned one, inject it and marinate it for 24 hours next time....

Back