My Weber Grates Are Rusting

AKMIMNAK

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Weber OneTouch (Silver?) 22.5"

It's almost 7 years old which I think means I'm beyond warranty. Grates are really rusty. Tried oiling them last week. Already this rusty again.

How do y'all care for your grates? Is it worth trying to restore these or should I just buy a new set (and maybe upgrade)?

Last edited:
+1 New Grate. IMO, it's not worth saving a few bucks on the generic one without a handle that can hook to side of grill like the original.

Scrub them and oil them. They rust when you don't cook on them enough. These two are from 1979 and 1993 kettles, I used the one with bolts today for ribs and the other one last weekend for chicken.
picture.php

Weber OneTouch (Silver?) 22.5"

It's almost 7 years old which I think means I'm beyond warranty. Grates are really rusty. Tried oiling them last week. Already this rusty again.

How do y'all care for your grates? Is it worth trying to restore these or should I just buy a new set (and maybe upgrade)?

They are just chinese chome plated steel. New one will rust too. Keep them. Ignore the rust and get some Grill Grates. Aluminum, wont rust, easy to clean.

A little rust is nothing to worry about. Hit it with a brush or steel wool. If you want to get anal, use a Brillo pad and rinse it off.

A slightly rusty Weber grate has never prevented me from cooking on it.

Do you keep your grill covered when not in use? Wondering if you're getting some moisture getting inside the grill. dadsr4 seems to have the method down, but there's a great kettle cover on Amazon for cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HCNEX6
My kettles have never been covered. The only rust on the grates I've dealt with was because I left them out in the weather. I take a small bowl of vegetable oil or shortening and a paper towel out and oil the grates if the coals burn off the seasoning. I sometimes think that people who are replacing their grates frequently are keeping them too clean. I just knock off the big stuff except for the cooking surface, which I rub with something like a paint stir stick or a deer scapula.
Here is a better shot of the grate with legs.You can see where it could use some oiling over the coals.
picture.php

After dealing with rusty grates for years , I got ss grates when I refurbed my 05 22. I don’t know if you can contract tetanus from eating off a rusty Weber grate or if there is a chance of flakes of nickel plating ending up in my Q so in the trash they went.

You guys worry to much. Just scrub them and oil them and cook on. Heck i use an old rusted grate in my uds from the late 60's that is all pitted. Havent killed anyone yet. Pulled a 12th place chicken at the Ironman this past weekend on that uds.

Yea, seems you don't oil yer grates. Just scrub the rust off with some ss wool and spray pam on the grates. I give my grates a quick scrub and spray pam on them. Most all my kettles have their original grates.

I've done that, but after a while, it's time to admit defeat and get a new grate.

I can't remember the last time I bought new cooking grates. I've replace the charcoal grates a couple times in the past 10 years but I bet it's been at least that long since I bought a cooking grate. You gotta cook on them to keep them seasoned. I cook on mine several times a week.

I can't remember the last time I bought new cooking grates. I've replace the charcoal grates a couple times in the past 10 years but I bet it's been at least that long since I bought a cooking grate. You gotta cook on them to keep them seasoned. I cook on mine several times a week.
I must be lucky. this is the charcoal grate form my 1979 kettle.
picture.php

The one from the 1993 kettle is about the same.

I must be lucky. this is the charcoal grate form my 1979 kettle.
picture.php

The one from the 1993 kettle is about the same.
Yeah I burnt a couple out using the gas ignition, before I knew about chimneys.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Back