Okay I did figure out how to embed Google Photos. Go to the photo using a browser on a PC not a mobile device, right click, copy image location and voila! You get a link that can actually be used!

So here they are, in use. They both now need to be cleaned up.

Yesterday like I said was the first burn on the Jumbo Joe premium, and a couple of items I noted.

#1. The nuts on the vent shutters are a bit too tight. The shutters are hard to operate once the kettle heats up, particularly the one on the lid..

#2. The ash buildup really wasn't a problem, at least until I tossed in the chunk charcoal and set it up for a second burn without cleaning it out doing some grilling. It works, don't get me wrong, but it took some effort to clean out this morning after it cooled off before I came to work...

I noted something interesting. Using the Kingsford Briquettes, they reduced all the way to a fairly fine powdery ash. However using the Mesquite chunk charcoal, there was a relatively incomplete burn, and the ash that was left from that was still fiarly chunky, coarser, and had some trouble being cleaned out of the kettle. I am going to finish off this bag and call it a failed experiment on the chunk charcoal for sure...

I keep seeing guys on Youtube talking about only using Kingsford blue, and adding wood chunks to get the smoke. I disagree. I am using Kingsford Mesquite, Pecan, or Applewood depending on the mood for what smoke I want, with fantastic results for years. Never been an issue in the kettles. So why is it folks are recommending the Kingsford blue?

1-6rbQHQsebHoHu9VO_kxEmQxPVFRuCQPCsRDyJ5JzK35UbKyP1ng52Hnqa4HB-7s-1l8vO-RyNraHmPqCB3u908JFC0jMwISqvbrw7QkIk0vIP9X1PPpCcZXNT6tT6g-pOCpmNLG5JY6SeFNxV_mFxQCBPRdXZYDp2pHrj8pwIkT15CUozK1tRh4rl4jeKsab4bT3nERjx6nFcT69LQjWWq4qPVR829VByxTGya11E1YUn-dIYAqZ5j-qug3R8F2ebRVWcRp49ln914CT8hfRnmhaj6bBcyEwsGwfWN67ZirLL2JuZMFQFZ8i48ufzdtQYlolIKtTknT9LqW2qJlAJMcna-EictaCjNdGDk9NkO4nbWNjBHu666aZ7dt3Sl0_O8VqbWqnEHeb7zO0jIl4VmGqlYFZmw2bfkuI2HLGRlNpoamhd505j7XeGR1T4HijoEzPOVPGK5ZR-9R0UOA5q_uK46-eRBbDL1RxgHhFoVEyB_BvaLonOLqcBcgx3rs7F1RsQuA87Q1QInYlPjtf6FLnqrUGt0jLk_i09eYLu6txwV5jNFvLIjW92iaNd1zlEQ5zCsT5BAH0eFX5PRiSFegeAiI42byGfehchY=w1444-h1083-no

Okay I did figure out how to embed Google Photos. Go to the photo using a browser on a PC not a mobile device, right click, copy image location and voila! You get a link that can actually be used!

So here they are, in use. They both now need to be cleaned up.

Yesterday like I said was the first burn on the Jumbo Joe premium, and a couple of items I noted.

#1. The nuts on the vent shutters are a bit too tight. The shutters are hard to operate once the kettle heats up, particularly the one on the lid..

#2. The ash buildup really wasn't a problem, at least until I tossed in the chunk charcoal and set it up for a second burn without cleaning it out doing some grilling. It works, don't get me wrong, but it took some effort to clean out this morning after it cooled off before I came to work...

I noted something interesting. Using the Kingsford Briquettes, they reduced all the way to a fairly fine powdery ash. However using the Mesquite chunk charcoal, there was a relatively incomplete burn, and the ash that was left from that was still fiarly chunky, coarser, and had some trouble being cleaned out of the kettle. I am going to finish off this bag and call it a failed experiment on the chunk charcoal for sure...

I keep seeing guys on Youtube talking about only using Kingsford blue, and adding wood chunks to get the smoke. I disagree. I am using Kingsford Mesquite, Pecan, or Applewood depending on the mood for what smoke I want, with fantastic results for years. Never been an issue in the kettles. So why is it folks are recommending the Kingsford blue?

KBB can be found MUCH cheaper on the holiday sales. Most stock up. You can also control the smoke flavor by using real wood

I just finished installing a 2in thermometer in the lid on the 22 in Jumbo Joe premium. I'm about to install a similar thermometer in the lid on the Smokey Joe. I'm figuring thermometers the right places will help me manage temperatures better. I've also stepped up and purchased rib rack for the 22 and I'm ready to give ribs another shot. Bit of a learning curve on these but I think I might have it down now a bit concerned however since I really want to do these dry rub not sauced so that I can stay properly on diet however I came up with a fairly simple mop recipe that is Paleo friendly. Just apple juice basic brisket rub and some garlic salt. probably go with that.

What, may I ask is KBB?
Kingsford in the blue bag. Works well for grilling, lots of opinions, good and bad, for smoking. Some say they can taste it, most don't. Can be smoky at startup, provides long term, steady coals for grilling. Can produce more ash than other brands. Readily available everywhere.

Late dinner. This thread inspired me to throw some ribs and sausages on.

Last edited:
Bought my performer in 2011, gas lighting made me never buy lighter fluid again, I now own a 18" smoky Joe I also love, the performer will be the last grill to leave my house, it can do it all imo

I’ve been using my 22 quite a bit lately. Almost makes me want to get a 26.
I do miss my gas assist performer.

I’ve had my 22” for about 14-15 years now. I’ve had a few grills after. I have a Weber gasser too, but up until recently, my physical strength and height in my wheelchair were issues.

Thank god for my kettle. Im so glad I didn’t get rid of it, because I’ve been cooking on that thing for the last 10 months. Outdoor cooking is a big part of my life and honestly helps me deal with my current medical condition. While in a quick pinch I can use my gasser now, 9/10 times I’m lighting up charcoal.

I posted last week or so that I was looking for a charcoal grill. I used to have a Weber but now I'm torn between a Weber 22", a PK, or a Kamado. I'm leaning away from a Kamado now, but I still go back and forth between a PK and a Weber kettle.

I posted last week or so that I was looking for a charcoal grill. I used to have a Weber but now I'm torn between a Weber 22", a PK, or a Kamado. I'm leaning away from a Kamado now, but I still go back and forth between a PK and a Weber kettle.

If you can find a gently used Weber kettle that is older than current offerings,you may have to clean it up and replace the grates but it will be worth it.

Back