MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #31
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Money Muscle -Tenderloin , what's the difference, my best recollection of why the current pork rule was formulated. I've got some great ground pork recipes for the left over trimmed pork butts!!! Wonder if someone will feature a class or do a U-tube primer on proper disection of a boston butt?
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #32
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I think all that has happened here is for pork to be treated like the rest of the meats.
If they meet requirments prior to cooking, the rest is up to the cook.
As a poor cook team the cooks occaisionaly for the purpose of having fun and hanging with friends, I cook one butt and will appreciate being able to remove that one muscle before it turns to mush.
I'm ok with it.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #33
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

I predict in pork, people will see their scores hold or even drop because of this.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #34
Big Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

I know they took out the part that say it can't be parted, but It says it must be one piece that is 5lbs. So to me, you have to cook a piece of meat that is 5lbs or bigger. A money muscle is not 5lbs so you would not be able to cook it by itsself. To me, all it really changes is that you could maybe put it back in the cooker to heat up.

Of course, my interpretation could be way off base. Wouldn't be the first time, thats for sure.

Big Mike
Eagle River Barbecue
Yoder YS640
Stumps Platinum 5 Trailer
Members Mark 8 Burner Gasser

Last edited by Big Mike; 02-16-2013 at 12:15 PM..
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #35
Fat Freddy
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

If I am reading things right,is this really going to change much for anyone. I can see it benefiting some people by being able to cook 1 butt to 2 different temps rather than 2 butts. But other than that i really dont see how this will change much. Of course I could be completely wrong which wouldnt be a shocker either.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #36
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Big Mike's got a good point.. it'll just bring back the argument of "what is the definition of cooked?".. I guess that rule, if changed, needed to be re-worded to begin with, to bring closure to the discussions brought on a few years ago.. maybe I'm missing something?
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #37
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
Big Mike's got a good point.. it'll just bring back the argument of "what is the definition of cooked?".. I guess that rule, if changed, needed to be re-worded to begin with, to bring closure to the discussions brought on a few years ago.. maybe I'm missing something?
Once Your 5 Lb butt Or shoulder Is inspected Cook It Any Way You See Fit. That Is The Rule For 2014

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #38
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

I wonder how much people are going to push it this season to get ready for next.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #39
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
Once Your 5 Lb butt Or shoulder Is inspected Cook It Any Way You See Fit. That Is The Rule For 2014
I believe you should add after "is inspected Cook" all or part any way you see fit.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #40
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Who is going to be able to tell a CT Butt from a Pork Collar?
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #41
Bunny
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink01 View Post
I hope it stays as is, but wish they would enforce a bit more......
It is too hard to enforce it, Jeff. We can usually tell, but there is always an argument. Let's let the artistry be what it is in cooking.

My 2 cents worth.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #42
Bunny
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaHerself View Post
Some teams will do their best to conform to the rule as written, some teams will adhere to their own wildly creative interpretation of the rule, some teams will do whatever they want to saying that as long as there's no specific microprohibition of that exact thing it's okay, and some teams will openly declare that they'll do as they damn please because nobody's checking anyway.

Yeah, I'm freaking psychic.
Spot on!

Old 02-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #43
Bunny
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
I know they took out the part that say it can't be parted, but It says it must be one piece that is 5lbs. So to me, you have to cook a piece of meat that is 5lbs or bigger. A money muscle is not 5lbs so you would not be able to cook it by itsself. To me, all it really changes is that you could maybe put it back in the cooker to heat up.

Of course, my interpretation could be way off base. Wouldn't be the first time, thats for sure.
That's the way we interpret it.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #44
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
That's the way we interpret it.
The Board member who made the motion disagrees
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #45
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

So now we have three short-cook categories. Switch over to steak and everybody can get some sleep.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote