• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Treager verses Mak?

Not sure any pellet grill is an "upgrade" from a WSM but a lot of folks like them. They are kind of like gassers to me and I have one.

No disrespect just my .02.

Didn't read all the replies, BUT got a MAK 2 Star and sold my Timberline 850. For me, the higher grilling temp was the big selling point. The Timberline wasn't bad, but the MAK is better. Everything has turned out well. Also, a minor point, but clean up of the burner well is definitely easier on the MAK.

Didn't read all the replies, BUT got a MAK 2 Star and sold my Timberline 850. For me, the higher grilling temp was the big selling point. The Timberline wasn't bad, but the MAK is better. Everything has turned out well. Also, a minor point, but clean up of the burner well is definitely easier on the MAK.

Thanks Jack, my two star is on order.

Get the Yoder!! I wanted a Yoder and opted for the MAK and what a fatal mistake. Had issues from day 1. They expect me to keep trouble shooting the grill. They were great to deal with and helped through some issues, but I guess it is acceptable to keep having me research what is wrong with it. Live and learn.
Can you elaborate on the issues you've been having? Having the same debate on which to buy myself currently

Hi Dave,

To be clear, we don't expect you to "keep fixing" your grill. We are more than happy to help you find a solution to anything you've experienced, as our documented history of our communications with you amply demonstrates.

We would still be happy, in fact, for you to call us so we can reach a solution. In the event you won't do that, the best resolution is probably for you to sell your grill.

Our manufacturing process, our quality control procedures, and our choice of suppliers make us confident that any problem can be easily fixed with proper communication. Now and then something can slip through the cracks, but we've ensured that every standalone component of our grills is easily removed and replaced.

MAK Grills will work with any owner of a MAK Grill, whether the original or any subsequent owner, to resolve anything that might occur due to normal wear and tear, operator/user error, or component failure.

Please let us know if we can do anything to help.

Best Regards,
-The MAK Grills Team

Last edited:
Wow that is pretty cool. I never heard of this one. How does it do holding temps?

I answered this question earlier, but only in general terms.

Today I got curious and ran a test using a ThermoWorks Smoke and a calibrated probe set in a bracket an inch above the center of the lower grate.

With the smoker warmed up and set at 225°F, the temp swings from 230°F on the top end to 219°F on the low end and follows an overall curve that resembles small waves or ripples riding larger swells, if that makes sense. 230°F happens when the top of a swell coincides with the top of a wave; 219°F happens when the bottom of a swell coincides with the bottom of a wave.

Most of the time, though, since the waves and swells are not in phase, the temp spends most of its time between 222°F and 228°F.

All of this was done in full sun, a very light breeze, and 75°F to 80°F in the shade.

Last edited:
That's quite a statement from a member of the MAK team to sell your grill if you're not happy openly in this forum. Not sure that's the best marketing tool in your bag. LOL

That's quite a statement from a member of the MAK team to sell your grill if you're not happy openly in this forum. Not sure that's the best marketing tool in your bag. LOL

So, you've set up a no-win situation. The manufacturer offers to work with the customer and says if the customer doesn't want to do that, then the best option would be to sell the grill. And then you gig the manufacturer for being honest.

Get the Yoder!! I wanted a Yoder and opted for the MAK and what a fatal mistake. Had issues from day 1. They expect me to keep trouble shooting the grill. They were great to deal with and helped through some issues, but I guess it is acceptable to keep having me research what is wrong with it. Live and learn.

Yet, you never say what's wrong - that I could find. There's a minimal amount of things to deal with. The pellet feed system. Igniter system, including fan; and the controller. There is nothing else. The rest of the grill is made up of static parts.

Now, if you're attempting to use the WiFi interface, that's a whole different problem as it involves computers, routers, IP addresses, etc. WiFi seems to be an area that is a weak point for MAK. Research would show that fact. Read Meathead Goldwyn's review and he says exactly that.

But, since you haven't said (again, that I can find) what the problem is, it's difficult to say whether you have a legitimate problem, are creating your own problems, or exactly what the situation is. But, you have no problem bad mouthing MAK after making complimentary posts about the grill for at least 1.5 years.

No, I’m saying be the adult in the room instead of a fanboy of MAK. Go the high road if you’re in the market of selling grills. Instead of continually defending work through the situation instead of justifying your purchase.

I like MAK grills and especially that their made in the USA but you might not know the whole situation. Just saying.

No, I’m saying be the adult in the room instead of a fanboy of MAK. Go the high road if you’re in the market of selling grills. Instead of continually defending work through the situation instead of justifying your purchase.

I like MAK grills and especially that their made in the USA but you might not know the whole situation. Just saying.

So do you know the whole situation?

No, I do not. But do you? I’m saying that the last thing you want would want to do is to say “sell it” from a company representative standpoint if you don’t like it.
I’d rather buy him out.
Apparently, MAK has a release the hounds attitude on here so why would I want to buy one. This fan group for MAK point forward for me is disappointing yet borderline bullying. It’s unfortunate as they have a great product.

This started out as Traeger or MAK and you all hyjacked this to make an infomercial for MAK. Point proven.

:thumb:That’s funny. I was just thinking, I’m more of a side shelf guy instead of a front shelf guy.

No, I do not. But do you? I’m saying that the last thing you want would want to do is to say “sell it” from a company representative standpoint if you don’t like it.
I’d rather buy him out.
Apparently, MAK has a release the hounds attitude on here so why would I want to buy one. This fan group for MAK point forward for me is disappointing yet borderline bullying. It’s unfortunate as they have a great product.

It’s unfortunate you feel that way. Perhaps you’ve been around BBQ forums/groups for awhile and have and have some strong opinions, but in my experience, the MAK folks/owners are some of the nicest, most down to earth and helpful people I have ever had the pleasure of getting to know. Not saying that other grill brand owners aren’t nice and kind... lol. Sure, there are always exceptions... but as a whole, the MAK family is quite special. Not trying to persuade or convince you of anything... just sharing my personal experience :)

It’s unfortunate you feel that way. Perhaps you’ve been around BBQ forums/groups for awhile and have and have some strong opinions, but in my experience, the MAK folks/owners are some of the nicest, most down to earth and helpful people I have ever had the pleasure of getting to know. Not saying that other grill brand owners aren’t nice and kind... lol. Sure, there are always exceptions... but as a whole, the MAK family is quite special. Not trying to persuade or convince you of anything... just sharing my personal experience :)

Hey now. Don't lump me in with those nice people. I can't afford that reputation.

I think the MAK has been a solid grill, but in fairness, it's not a magical unicorn.

First off, it's small. Like, wow. The space between each grate is so small I can't fit an aluminum pan in there. I see lots of pictures that imply capacity, but they usually have grates removed. My Copperhead definitely crushed it in capacity for the way I cook. The depth of the grates is is odd. It's great if I wanted to run ribs front to back, I guess. To me that just means I can't ever reach anything in the back half if I have more than one grate in play.

I honestly expected this thing to replace my Weber and my Copperhead so I could just have the MAK and the Blackstone, but there is no way I can get rid of my Copperhead. To me, this turned into a luxury indulgent purchase, when I was hoping it was a buy once, cry once, purchase.

I bought a Mak 1 star without ever seeing one. To be honest, it is not what I expected after hearing all the hype.

Back