MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Cattle Call !!!

Notices

Cattle Call !!! Introducing... The Brethren.. Put your Bios here, a mug shot, a picture of your toys..Tell us who u are. Threads will lock down after 7-10 days to avoid post pumps on old introductions. Please avoid responding after thread is over a week old. DO NOT PITCH ANY PRODUCTS IN THIS FORUM, OR TRY TO VEIL A PITCH AS AN INTRODUCTION. IF YOUR SELLING IT, DON'T MENTION IT.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:55 AM   #1
farmgirl
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Michelle
Default Thank you for the add!

Cheers all!

I am a new BBQer and just purchased a Country Smoker traveler. I have a tiny Casita trailer and a Ridgeline truck, and the smoker travels with us. I also have two farm collies that are my constant companions and BBQ taste testers and office clean up crew.

I am a (kind of recent) widow of a military man, and he used to do all the BBQ, and he also was GREAT with our wood fired oven. We lived in Italy for two tours and learned how to make Italian pizza by working at a local pizzeria on weekends. It was one of the highlights of our cooking together!

One of my tasks is to start barbecuing again and having friends over. My church congregation (small bunch of farmers and ranchers) is coming over in July, and I am doing the cooking, so I am very motivated to get started right and practice before I have to serve a small crowd of 30-40.

I am considering getting a larger smoker, was thinking Traeger or Country Smoker. Want a pellet smoker as I am tired of the electric smokers only smoking for a few minutes of the cooking. After reading the site here, I see that both brands are recognized (good), and that either choice would probably be okay. The Country Smoker is just a little small for what I am used to, so I need to figure out what the best additional smoker is for me right now.

I accept any and all advice, and appreciate your patience with me.

farmgirl
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_9355.jpeg (25.2 KB, 46 views)
farmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2021, 02:45 AM   #2
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

I am so sorry for your Loss
The Pizza gig would have been awesome

Welcome to the forum from Victoria, Aust.
Mostly a friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have
Old 04-21-2021, 05:06 AM   #3
ronbrad62
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Ron

Welcome Michelle, and thanks for your husband's (and your) service. Good luck tackling a job for that many people, when you are doing all the cooking, 30-40 doesn't seem like a small crowd. There are a lot of great folks here and I'm sure they'll be happy to share their knowledge as you learn (and spend) and learn (and spend some more). You will find that we love to spend each other's money around here.
For that many people, I would go with something foolproof and that you probably already have the capacity for with your present cooker, and that's just good old Boston butts and do pulled pork. You could even find a good sauce recipe among the thousands online these days, and impress your guests with the tasty condiment as well.
Good luck and be sure to post any questions you may have.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:06 AM   #4
farmgirl

Thank you both for the warm welcome. I look forward to being part of the forums here, even if you do spend all my money, LOL. it would be worse if I wasn't looking to buy a larger smoker soon! Yes, the pizza gig was AMAZING. I have a wood fired oven that I keep pretty busy with pizza, casseroles, pies, breads, etc. I don't cook inside during the summer if I can use the outside oven.

Thanks again for the welcome!

Michelle
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-21-2021, 11:05 AM   #5
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Welcome to the forum!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:22 AM   #6
farmgirl

Thanks, Jeanie! Good to be here!!
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-21-2021, 12:20 PM   #7
ShadowDriver

Name/Nickname : Marc

Welocme, Michelle! You've come to the right place.

I dragged my wife all over the world for many years, too... and appreciate all you've done and put-up-with.

I look forward to your future adventures (if you'll share them with us).
Old 04-22-2021, 06:43 AM   #8
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Welcome Hope you stick around This is a fun and educational place
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:30 PM   #9
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 3 Stack Pro Q Excel 20, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM, 150lb Capacity Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, Country Smoker, Newbie