• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Thinking about competing

Judge - I've competed for 4yrs, but judged for the first time this year. It was more than an eye opener, it was a smack in the face.
Do a dry run by simulating a comp - all 4 meats on your timeline with boxes and turn in times . Take notes on what works and what doesn't.
Weather will rarely cooperate - have a way to confidently handle rain and wind
Checklist and timeline - I'm lost without mine
Hydrate - easy to get dehydrated around hot smokers on a hot day where alcohol might happen
There's a lot of fun there, but sure to get some
Good Luck

There are a lot of cooks that judge once or twice a year, I'm positive they learn something to take back to their team, BUT judges like myself have also learned a lot about the cooking side competitions when visiting with cooks at at the judging table.

The first contest we ever did, the organizer told us on the day of the cook that we would see a lot of fancy smokers and set ups, but not to be intimidated and just do our cook. Don't worry that you are doing something wrong because other teams put on meats before/after you etc.

It was great advice that has always stayed with us. We went out that day with our minivan packed full of everything under the sun (including about 200 ln of charcoal to cook just Chicken and Ribs) and to our amazement won 3rd in Ribs. Nothing like that feeling in the world, best to you on your competition!

If you can, I would go and scout out some contests, or post a request to cook with a team, so that you get an idea of how to set up, taste some food, etc.
Do not sell yourself short on getting a call. People have a lot of beginners luck, in part because they don't overthink it. BBQ is basic, but attention to detail is important.
Competing for me is setting and attaining my own goals, not beating other teams. So the goals for your first comp are; turn in all 4 meats on time, have fun, make new friends, and get a call.

Judge - I've competed for 4yrs, but judged for the first time this year. It was more than an eye opener, it was a smack in the face.
Do a dry run by simulating a comp - all 4 meats on your timeline with boxes and turn in times . Take notes on what works and what doesn't.
Weather will rarely cooperate - have a way to confidently handle rain and wind
Checklist and timeline - I'm lost without mine
Hydrate - easy to get dehydrated around hot smokers on a hot day where alcohol might happen
There's a lot of fun there, but sure to get some
Good Luck

man you aren't joking about the hydrating comment. A few years ago my partner and I were in Jamestown, TN doing a double in outright sinful heat. I mean it was brutal. We had tents and an enclosed trailer with several fans, but no AC. There was a bathhouse really close to our sight and were able to take multiple cold showers to help stay less hot....lol

but during the day Saturday my partner drank beer on an off all day, with little else. Never was drunk, just having fun, but we never considered what it was doing to him in the heat. Later that night, he was in the hospital with what we initially thought was a heart attack to only learn during the hospital visit that he was severely dehydrated.

my big ass had to go back to the site in the middle of the night and load up and get us home after they released him......we got home like 5am in the morning both of us feeling about half dead.

moral of the story.........HYDRATE!!!!!!

or make sure you have a rig with good AC.....lol

Back