Gizzards an liver

Whodat985

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Gonna smoke a turkey tomorrow an want to smoke the gizzards an liver for the wifey. Gonna throw the neck in as well.

Any tips ?

I usually just season them with whatever I do to the bird. Actually never smoked a turkey, just chickens. I get the gizzard and heart, dogs split the liver. Could not tell you to save my life how long they take. I usually pluck them off and eat em standing in front of the grill, as a snack. The heart is my favorite.

I always smoke the liver.Smoke the backbone too for stock.I just put a little salt and pepper on it and smoke til it is done.
Side note-I would par boil the gizzards or steam them for a while to tenderize them.They can be a little chewy.

I’ve made a foil boat with garlic/butter/stock. Liquid about half way up parts. Let them simmer flipping occasionally so all sides get smoke. When I think they’re done I wrap them up and let them steam a tad. My goal is 187* easy to remember.
I’m not saying this right thing to do, it’s based on my Mother simmering giblets necks in shallow stock on stove top until needed to chop into gravy.
Duck breast makes good gravy meat bits too. Growing up we’d go out to the river, shoot a duck and duck breast gravy was always a hit.

Taking easy route this year. Bought wife smoked turkey I’m grilling a steak

I’ve made a foil boat with garlic/butter/stock. Liquid about half way up parts. Let them simmer flipping occasionally so all sides get smoke. When I think they’re done I wrap them up and let them steam a tad. My goal is 187* easy to remember.
I’m not saying this right thing to do, it’s based on my Mother simmering giblets necks in shallow stock on stove top until needed to chop into gravy.
Duck breast makes good gravy meat bits too. Growing up we’d go out to the river, shoot a duck and duck breast gravy was always a hit.

Taking easy route this year. Bought wife smoked turkey I’m grilling a steak

Neck meat and giblets always go in the gravy. Well...depends on who is cooking and hosting.

I like your advice to the OP. My dad used to simmer the neck meat and giblets the same way. Many years ago, one old family member used to stop by and said it was the best gravy he'd ever had. We ran out of the non-giblet/neck gravy once so I tried it. All I could taste was turkey and mashed taters. Honestly, couldn't tell a difference.

Learned something that day. Love is love.

Late to the party, foil boat salt pepper, my Butterball was missing the gizzard dangit, it goes into the gravy all chopped up

Wife said they were good. Poached them in chicken stock some holy trinity a bay leaf. Smoked it in a pan till turkey was done.

I smoke turkey necks then vac pack and freeze them for future gumbo cooks.

Back