MAK 2 Star purchase - what to include?

Shawn

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Big Poppas started their black Friday specials and has included a discount on MAK's.
I am considering a 2 star.
What accessories do you all suggest?
I will purchase a MAK cover.
It looks like it has 3 grate slots, and it comes with 1, so if I want to use the extra grate slots I need to order 2 more grates right?
Front shelf?
Cabinet door?
Other?
I cook a lot of jerky, deer sticks, and bologna. If I purchase the Super Smoke Box can I smoke in that and the grill at the same time? Will they both hold low temps (180-225) at the same time, or does the smoke box hold a temp that is lower than the grill? This will likely be a later purchase, still on the fence with this.

I’m sure you’ll get a lot of different answers. I’d get a full upper rack or 3/4 rack. It comes with 2 half racks. I use the grill grates all the time. I have the front door. It looks nice & hides my other racks or grates when I’m not using them. My next purchase is going to be the front shelf. That should get you set for grilling & smoking.

My top MAK 2 Star add-ons ... the ones that see a ton of use.

1) Sear grates
2) Lower cabinet door
3) MGM (WiFi)
4) Full upper grate
5) Cover

Those are my top 5.

Cabinet door
Front shelf
Full upper grate
Grill Grates brand

Whatever you decide you can’t go wrong...

I’m with Rob on the WiFi. Can’t believe I forgot that. It’s very nice to be able to monitor, adjust & see the cook on your phone!

...It looks like it has 3 grate slots, and it comes with 1, so if I want to use the extra grate slots I need to order 2 more grates right?

Mine came with 2-1/2 grates for the bottom and I had to select a "free" grate. I went with the full and don't regret it a bit. Other than grates and the cover, I'd recommend/rate the accessories as follows:
1) front shelf
2) searing grates
3) door
4) extra grates if you wish (I added the 3/4)

The darn thing is great. You'll love it. Congrats.

Thank for all of the help.

I think a couple of you have the super smoker box. Can you tell me if that holds the same temp as the grill, or if the temp is lower? For example can I smoke at 225 in the box and the grill at the same time?

Thank for all of the help.

I think a couple of you have the super smoker box. Can you tell me if that holds the same temp as the grill, or if the temp is lower? For example can I smoke at 225 in the box and the grill at the same time?

The Super Smoker box will average about 100° cooler than the main cook chamber.

The Super Smoker box will average about 100° cooler than the main cook chamber.

I have yet to graduate to cheese and nut smoking. So would it be safe to assume that if I am smoking jerky/sticks/bologna at temps of 180-225 that I would just use the main grill and not a smoking box? The box was attractive if I could smoke in the grill and the box at the same time and run large loads.

I have yet to graduate to cheese and nut smoking. So would it be safe to assume that if I am smoking jerky/sticks/bologna at temps of 180-225 that I would just use the main grill and not a smoking box? The box was attractive if I could smoke in the grill and the box at the same time and run large loads.

Yes sir, main cooking chamber is what you’d use at those temps. As far as cooking real estate... the newer MAK 2 Stars (2019 and newer) provide a ton of room. A little over 1600 sq” if you add two additional full grates and one 3/4 grate. Small footprint, huge cooking capacity.

2e5ed83fc2f74f67791e52ec07db5a63.jpg

I added two full grates

My approach was that to replace the two halves on the grilling surface with one of the full grates for easier clean up.

The 2nd full grate can move up a level or two as needed and the 1/2 grates can be moved around as needed.

Join the loyalty program first! A MAK 2 Star will earn you around a $50 credit on your next order. Don't leave any money on the table. :wink:

My thoughts: A cover is essential to protect your investment and a little extra insurance to keep your pellets dry. The cabinet door is mostly cosmetic, but it "finishes" the MAK and adds some utility. WiFi is a must for me. I use it 100% of the time. A full upper grate is invaluable. Your MAK will come with two half grates that cover the surface level. I normally smoke with the full upper grate in the second position with some foil on the surface level to reduce cleanup. I'm torn on the MAK sear grates. I have a pair of MAK sear grates for complete surface level coverage. They work pretty well for me, but I have sacrificed a lot of food between the grates.

The nice thing about all these accessories is that they literally bolt on whenever you're ready. It's pretty easy to hit the minimums for free shipping, so cost isn't a factor. You can begin enjoy your MAK immediately and identify accessories as you go. The MAK is an amazing pellet grill/smoker. You will not be disappointed.

I'd give away my searing grate if someone was local. Never use it. Used it once. Lol

Well, your location says you live in hell. Not sure anyone is gonna accept your kind offer...

That’s funny!

I don’t care who you are...

That’s FUNNY

Well, your location says you live in hell. Not sure anyone is gonna accept your kind offer...

Well if they are local to hell, they live in hell too, might as well get a free sear grate lol

Do people in hell really need a sear grate? Is the why you're giving it away?

Back