MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-25-2020, 09:42 PM   #1
mph33
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Charlesgriet
Default Ugly A$$ Bird....

You're looking at a free range organic bird from New York. These birds come from a farm called plainville. This is hands down the ugliest turkey I have ever seen. this is before and after brining.(harvest Brine/48 hours) right now I have it in the refrigerator uncovered to dry the skin to start smoking around 10:00 in the morning. All these dark marks come from the bottom of the bird which makes me think it wasn't free range at all that it was packed in a birdhouse and it sat on its A$$ it's whole life. if true, that's messed up

mph33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2020, 10:26 PM   #2
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You are not wrong.That is one NASTY looking bird.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-25-2020, 10:50 PM   #3
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

Free range doesn't always mean they run around a barnyard or pasture pecking up bugs and stuff. It doesn't even mean they are ever truly outside. It often just means they are not in cages.

But that bird is not going to win any beauty contests, that's for sure.

Old 11-25-2020, 10:55 PM   #4
LYU370
somebody shut me the fark up.

Did that bird get into a fist fight?

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2020, 12:30 AM   #5
mph33
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Charlesgriet

That bird is going in the trash. 48 hour brine for nothing. Cant serve this to ex Senator Sam Nunn. Fvck Plainville Farms!!!!
mph33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2020, 02:58 AM   #6
Crakaveli
Full Fledged Farker

refund?
Crakaveli is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2020, 06:42 AM   #7
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

You've gone this far...might as well cook the sucker. Unless you have a Plan B.

Once it gets all golden brown, smothered with gravy, along with the (no doubt) fabulous sides you will prepare- it will be more than fine.

Should be a day to be thankful and sharing... you can send them a nasty gram tomorrow -if you are still in that sort of mood.

Good luck- and tell the Senator I said "hey"

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-26-2020, 06:45 AM   #8
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

I hate to see that. I'd probably cook it anyway. What is your plan now? Butterball FTW? Going to have a hard time getting it thawed and cooked in time as most small birds are gone and only large birds left in the case. Perhaps it's time to think about going non-traditional and maybe doing prime rib or tri tip, ham etc. A double smoked ham is usually a hit at my house. Even a spiral sliced one with lots of glaze applied during the cook that runs down between the slices is pretty good.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2020, 07:01 AM   #9
mike243
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I wouldn't cook it either, skin looks like it went south to me, I wont make anybody else sick, when in doubt throw it out has always been my rule that I learned early on by others mistakes.

Old 11-26-2020, 07:22 AM   #10
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

Go to the supermarket right now(if you are not there already) and try to get a fresh butterball. It’s ready to go into your smoker as-is. If you can’t get fresh get a frozen one and cook it from frozen in your oven. It takes longer, but it can be done. https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-coo...sgiving-225796

Last edited by Shadowdog500; 11-26-2020 at 07:50 AM..
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2020, 07:53 AM   #11
jzadski
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

To cook or not, that's tuff call. How does the meat look under the funky looking spots on the skin? If the meat looks ok and the bird didn't smell or wasn't slimy I would have to say it's good to cook. I would definitely reach out to Plainville by first calling and explaining to get their input as to if it's good to cook. Then follow up by sending pics. Years ago wife got a fresh "Amish" turkey, not so good. Skin felt more like a wetsuit and she grosses out very easily. First and last time for that. We have been happy with butterball and doing them throughout the year. 10lb-ish Good Luck Brother!

Old 11-26-2020, 08:55 AM   #12
halfcocked
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : George

I heard it said that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Unless the meat is bad I'd go with roasting it.
halfcocked is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2020, 09:01 AM   #13
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfcocked View Post
I heard it said that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Unless the meat is bad I'd go with roasting it.
And risk besmirching your reputation in the presence of ex Senator Sam Nunn? Unfathomable.
drunkenmeatfist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2020, 09:04 AM   #14
halfcocked
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : George

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmeatfist View Post
And risk besmirching your reputation in the presence of ex Senator Sam Nunn? Unfathomable.
You're right. What was I thinking.
halfcocked is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2020, 09:14 AM   #15
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

Hey, he's a politician getting a free feed. He'll be happy, or at least gracious. I'm sure he's eaten plenty of rubber chicken dinners.