Brisket problem

Crotonmark

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Smoked a brisket today. 11# for 12 hours. Probe tender on the smoker.
Let it sit for about a half hour and when I cut it I noticed it was no longer soft
The meat got harder
I don’t know what I did wrong

Mark

I find the meat will tense back up if I don't push it hard enough in the cook, brisket especially will tell on me if I don't nail it. .. I makedarn sure I'm in the thickest part of the flat and very easy going in but sometimes that's hard when the temp is 210 and still not probe tender lol. . .

Most likely it wasn’t actually “done” and the relatively quick change in temperature trajectory caused this to be noticeable. Been there done that...IMO the ability to “tighten up” means there is still connective tissue present to facilitate the tightening.

How long did it Smoke for and what temp? 11 lb in 12 hours seems awfully fast unless it was a hot and fast cook (325-350ish). As others mentioned doesn’t appear to have rendered enough, along with a 30 min rest seems too short of time.

That timeline sounds about right to me...maybe a tad short if you spent more time near the 225* end of the spectrum. Was that 11lb post trim or pre trim? How many briskets have you cooked before?

I've also noticed that the quality of the beef seems to contribute to this at times.

Also, how many places did you check for "probe tender" ? I've gotten burned before by thinking something was done only to probe another spot and see a 10* swing or it not feel done.

That timeline sounds about right to me...maybe a tad short if you spent more time near the 225* end of the spectrum. Was that 11lb post trim or pre trim? How many briskets have you cooked before?
I’ve done about a dozen
Weight was pre trim.
Should have taken more fat off first

• Thanks
Reactions: Lis
Seems to me that a 30 minute rest is way too short. I try to always give mine at least 2 hours. Wrapped tightly in foil and into the hot box or cooler with towels.

Seems to me that a 30 minute rest is way too short. I try to always give mine at least 2 hours. Wrapped tightly in foil and into the hot box or cooler with towels.

What you are discussing is holding rather than resting. 30 minute rest time is leaving the meat on the table (at room temp) to allow it to come down to approximately 145° before you slice into it. Holding, as you're describing, is keeping the meat above 145° for long periods of time to ensure there is no harmful bacterial growth.

If you cook the meat to a perfect tenderness there is no need for holding at all. There's a good article here on AmazingRibs.com about all of these holding / resting myths.

https://amazingribs.com/more-techni...ce-juiciness-why-resting-and-holding-meat-are

@CrotonMark,

The brisket was likely not finished and needed a bit more time. Probing is definitely the way to go and you've got to probe in a few different areas, with the most emphasis being placed on the thickest part of the FLAT. If that area is probe tender then you should be good to go.

A good rule of thumb for brisket is this : when you think it's finished cook it for another 45-60 minutes (if cooking low and slow). Slightly overcooked brisket is much better than slightly undercooked brisket.

What you are discussing is holding rather than resting. 30 minute rest time is leaving the meat on the table (at room temp) to allow it to come down to approximately 145° before you slice into it. Holding, as you're describing, is keeping the meat above 145° for long periods of time to ensure there is no harmful bacterial growth.

If you cook the meat to a perfect tenderness there is no need for holding at all. There's a good article here on AmazingRibs.com about all of these holding / resting myths.

https://amazingribs.com/more-techni...ce-juiciness-why-resting-and-holding-meat-are

@CrotonMark,

The brisket was likely not finished and needed a bit more time. Probing is definitely the way to go and you've got to probe in a few different areas, with the most emphasis being placed on the thickest part of the FLAT. If that area is probe tender then you should be good to go.

A good rule of thumb for brisket is this : when you think it's finished cook it for another 45-60 minutes (if cooking low and slow). Slightly overcooked brisket is much better than slightly undercooked brisket.

I love brisket but I might give it up
I don't know what else I can do time wise
It never gets done!
There is only so early a guy can start :mmph:

If you cook the meat to a perfect tenderness there is no need for holding at all. There's a good article here on AmazingRibs.com about all of these holding / resting myths. [url said:
https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/science-juiciness-why-resting-and-holding-meat-are[/url]

OK Just read the article. Seems to me that the jury is unclear about brisket and it takes a master to get it right?

OK Just read the article. Seems to me that the jury is unclear about brisket and it takes a master to get it right?

The thing about smoking meat is there is an art to it, too many people want a recipe of time/temp. Way to many variables in meat quality and the raising of animal itself to make it into a baking recipe.

Cook a few hundred briskets and you learn to use your knowledge to give you guidance on what you are seeing/feeling in the product you have at that moment in your smoker.....it truly is an art that some have the "patience" to master.

Have fun on the journey, instead of fighting it.

The thing about smoking meat is there is an art to it, too many people want a recipe of time/temp. Way to many variables in meat quality and the raising of animal itself to make it into a baking recipe.

Cook a few hundred briskets and you learn to use your knowledge to give you guidance on what you are seeing/feeling in the product you have at that moment in your smoker.....it truly is an art that some have the "patience" to master.

Have fun on the journey, instead of fighting it.

I DO enjoy it - but the time!!!
Brisket is so large and takes SO long
Literally even starting at 4AM doesn't provide enough time

One more bit of weirdness. I use a Weber Charcoal Summit and love it
It was rock solid between 225 and 250 yesterday
However, at the last hour the temp just started surging up
I was thinking it caught a lot of wood but I don't know.

TL/DR - love smoked meat - takes too long:clap2:

I DO enjoy it - but the time!!!
Brisket is so large and takes SO long
Literally even starting at 4AM doesn't provide enough time

One more bit of weirdness. I use a Weber Charcoal Summit and love it
It was rock solid between 225 and 250 yesterday
However, at the last hour the temp just started surging up
I was thinking it caught a lot of wood but I don't know.

TL/DR - love smoked meat - takes too long:clap2:

Buddy, I cook briskets in 4 hours and they're ready to go. There is absolutely no need to cook briskets at 225...you can safely smoke them at 350° and have them done in 4 hours or less. All the same rules apply and you're looking for probe tender (when cooking that hot will usually happen between 203-208 internal temp).

Here's a video of Harry Soo explaining how to cook "Hot and Fast."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRwSk91PgUs

"hot and fast" you say?? :becky:

I didn't "convert to hot(ter) and fast(er)"- I came to the bbq game pretty late-just as it was sort of taking off- it's all I've known. My Briskets are about 6 hours and 2 hours rest- that's still an all day thing- but it's very manageable.

I don't take it to turbo levels - I like 275 for ribs and keep it to a pretty mild 325 for brisket and butt. It does make a difference in time and I've never heard anything definitive that it produces an inferior product to the "low and slow" crowd. (anecdotal evidence ain't)

At the end of the day, it's your heat, your meat, your schedule, your sleep.

"hot and fast" you say?? :becky:

I didn't "convert to hot(ter) and fast(er)"- I came to the bbq game pretty late-just as it was sort of taking off- it's all I've known. My Briskets are about 6 hours and 2 hours rest- that's still an all day thing- but it's very manageable.

I don't take it to turbo levels - I like 275 for ribs and keep it to a pretty mild 325 for brisket and butt. It does make a difference in time and I've never heard anything definitive that it produces an inferior product to the "low and slow" crowd. (anecdotal evidence ain't)

At the end of the day, it's your heat, your meat, your schedule, your sleep.

So what do you do?

Back