MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:32 PM   #31
timboio
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendamn View Post
Holy cow. What a project that is to replace the part. Like a jigsaw puzzle. You are a patient person to do that, and you will be rewarded with a most excellent slicer when done.

Love the paint jobs you fellas have done for your slicers, too. I say make room for those beauties in your kitchens, and show them off, too. These are some fun and useful gems.

Can you use the meat slicers for other foods? If so, what kinds?
I've also used it for cheese, bread, and of course, various kinds of meats (salami, deli, raw beef/pork for things like bulgogi). But really, the only thing it actually makes sense to use for is meat and cheese. :)
timboio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2017, 12:28 AM   #32
homesmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendamn View Post
Holy cow. What a project that is to replace the part. Like a jigsaw puzzle. You are a patient person to do that, and you will be rewarded with a most excellent slicer when done.

Love the paint jobs you fellas have done for your slicers, too. I say make room for those beauties in your kitchens, and show them off, too. These are some fun and useful gems.

Can you use the meat slicers for other foods? If so, what kinds?
Luckly I enjoy taking stuff apart and reassembling.
Can be like a puzzle, but the success is rewarding, especially when you don't have any pieces left over. I rather enjoy the process of waiting long enough from the tear down time, to reassembley, that I have forgotten how it came apart. True puzzle then.
Thanks for the patience compliment.

I'm sure it would cut almost any food group, but meat is my main use.

Last edited by homesmoke; 06-24-2017 at 02:06 AM..
homesmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2017, 07:43 AM   #33
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

Nice find! I like the lack of safety features and warning stickers.

Old 12-04-2019, 08:52 AM   #34
jimi323
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Jimi

I was recently given one of these slicer by my father. This is the only thing I've found on the web in regards to a similar model. What a cool gadget!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2890.jpg (61.8 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2895.jpg (47.2 KB, 133 views)
jimi323 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-04-2019, 09:59 AM   #35
Tbro
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Tom

Wow! That is a great find. Built like a tank.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:51 PM   #36
locolobo
is one Smokin' Farker

Location: Angleton Tx. Used to be in the boonies but Houston's gettin closer every day!

This kinda stuff is right up my alley. Love it! The wife would love that mixer as she makes rolls semi-professionally (a few dozen per week) and often makes all the dough at one time. She uses a Kitchen-Aid now.
That old Hobart made me look at my drill press which looks somewhat similar except for the turntable of course. Hmmmm, 8 speeds with a belt/pulley swap. I think I can get it slow enough. Now for some industrial sized hooks.
locolobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2019, 03:17 PM   #37
WeberWho
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice find! I also have an older one that is similar to yours. I picked it up $50 and had intensions of restoring it back to factory mint. I'm guessing that yours is friction driven as well. My dad and I started the restoration and got everything cleaned up and running. My intentions of bringing it back to factory mint was short lived. These early electric Hobarts are porcelain coated and not painted. Which made the restoration come to a grinding halt. I believe there are only a couple places left in the country that will take porcelain coating projects. Unfortunately I can't justify the cost and shipping it would take to restore the slicer. If money was endless I would in a heart beat.

I'm glad you were able to find some information on yours. I picked up an American Slicing Machine hand crank slicer and had to do a bunch of research myself. Turns out American Slicing Machine Company was pre-Berkel in the United States. Made in Chicago. American Slicing Machine Company ended up becoming United States Berkel. The patent on the slicer ended either in 1919 or 1920. It needs a full restoration and 99% complete. I couldn't pass on it when it came up for sale.

Something neat about these old slicers. Cool to see your post here on the forum.
WeberWho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2019, 05:20 PM   #38
homesmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeberWho View Post
Nice find! I also have an older one that is similar to yours. I picked it up $50 and had intensions of restoring it back to factory mint. I'm guessing that yours is friction driven as well. My dad and I started the restoration and got everything cleaned up and running. My intentions of bringing it back to factory mint was short lived. These early electric Hobarts are porcelain coated and not painted. Which made the restoration come to a grinding halt. I believe there are only a couple places left in the country that will take porcelain coating projects. Unfortunately I can't justify the cost and shipping it would take to restore the slicer. If money was endless I would in a heart beat.

I'm glad you were able to find some information on yours. I picked up an American Slicing Machine hand crank slicer and had to do a bunch of research myself. Turns out American Slicing Machine Company was pre-Berkel in the United States. Made in Chicago. American Slicing Machine Company ended up becoming United States Berkel. The patent on the slicer ended either in 1919 or 1920. It needs a full restoration and 99% complete. I couldn't pass on it when it came up for sale.

Something neat about these old slicers. Cool to see your post here on the forum.
Epoxy coatings can, and are being used to refurb porcelain. Find a company specializing in refurbishing vintage cast iron tubs and free standing sinks. Or get one of the DIY kits. Like painting, surface prep is key, but quite do-able.

Cool find on the hand crank. If I ever find one, it will come home with me.
homesmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2019, 12:21 AM   #39
timboio
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi323 View Post
I was recently given one of these slicer by my father. This is the only thing I've found on the web in regards to a similar model. What a cool gadget!
It's great to see another one of these in the wild!

If this still has the grinding stone in one piece (behind that upper silver plate), is there a chance you could take it off and take a picture of it, and post the specific measurements of it's diameter, and the size of the mounting hole in the center? I'm interested in manufacturing one out of a grinding stone on my own, but don't know the actual dimensions.
timboio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2019, 08:12 AM   #40
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Nice story, if it were me I would get on the phone with the marketing manager at Hobart and play lets make a deal! If this unit is truly that rare I could see them trading for a new model. It costs nothing to ask.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2019, 06:39 PM   #41
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

That's a sweet old unit, very nice! Thanks for the post.

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2019, 08:02 PM   #42
Randy3269
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
Nice story, if it were me I would get on the phone with the marketing manager at Hobart and play lets make a deal! If this unit is truly that rare I could see them trading for a new model. It costs nothing to ask.
Ed
This sounds like a great idea!!

Old 01-25-2020, 07:49 AM   #43
Robertg7731
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Bob
Default Vintage Hobart Meat Slicer Model 11A

I also have one of these meat slicers that i use all the time . Does anyone know where sharpening stones my be purchased for this machine? Any help would be greatly appreciated !
Robertg7731 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2020, 02:23 PM   #44
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Why is the picture fuzzy with Photobucket across it? I'm logged into Photobucket and that didn't help at all?

FWIW, Imgur doesn't give me near the problems Photobucket does.

Tags
11-a, 11a, hobart, slicer