Aldi St. Louis cut ribs?

airedale

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've never been in an Aldi but noticed their advert in yesterday's paper. St. Louis cut ribs, never frozen, @ $1.99/#, available 5/22. I thought I might pick up a half-dozen racks to smoke this weekend.

Does anyone have experience with Aldi meats? Their ribs? I'm not sure I can tell very much by just looking at them.

TIA

They tasted just fine. They used to do a great job of cutting them, but the last ones I got someone didn't know how to cut St Louis ribs.

ALDI generally has very good meat...in my opinion of course. I certainly feel like giving it a shot wouldn't be an issue.

They're enhanced if they are the same as the baby backs they carry.

I worked at Aldi for 4 years and got a bunch of different meats from them in that time, ribs included. Everything was always good but like BBQNEWBI says, I believe their ribs are all enhanced.

Have bought ribs from them many times, always a great price, and the ribs have been very good, no complaints!

I just bought a rack over the weekend, for time 1st time. I was happy with how they turned out.

The rack I bought was "enhanced" with salt/salt-water/etc....per the label, for those that are concerned/prefer not to have enhanced meat.

I have never bought their baby backs, but IIRC, they are also enhanced as BBQNEWBI mentioned earlier.

What does enhanced mean?

It means the meat is injected with a salt solution to keep it moist (and bump up the weight you're paying for).

It's something packers do to make lower quality meats more tender and juicy.

It's not a huge deal as long as you're aware of it and lower the salt level in your rub to accommodate it, but some folks refuse to cook enhanced meats because there can be differences from one packer to another and that can make the quality of the finished product less predictable (among other reasons).

I'm not sure why the incessant concern about 'enhanced' meat. So they have already been injected with a salt solution. Hell, half the people on this board inject their meats with one thing or another. Now if it is just a warning not to add to the salt already there then I get it. Truthfully, I am more po'ed that enhancement artificially makes the weight higher so you are actually paying more than $1.99 a pound. THAT hidden fraud is irritating.

I have cooked a lot of them, when they have this sale I stock up as it is the best price where I am. My family likes the taste.

Good luck finding 6 in stock. That's what kills me about Aldi - every time I've gone to stock up on a sale item they are either sold out or have 1-2 left.

So I will weigh in on this. One of the reasons people have an issue with enhanced ribs is because they can finish tasting somewhat hammy because the salt solution is essentially curing them in the bag. I had a few racks from aldi that were enhanced and my family enjoyed them. Different, but good. However, I prefer my ribs to not have that hammy taste.

Back