Anyone else ever wondered what happened to Stubb's Charcoal Briquets?

gambler

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Lowe's stopped carrying the Stubb's all natural charcoal briquets...which I absolutely loved! Very low ash content, and hight heat and fairly long cook times. Not to mention a very clean burn. Added bonus was you could re-burn leftover coals.

I've been searching for a replacement and heard that Cowboy Charcoal was the manufacturer of Stubb's. So I wrote them an email, and this was their reply:

"Hi,

Thank you for contacting us. Lowe’s and some other retailers are currently transitioning from Stubb’s to our Cowboy Hardwood Briquets. The hardwood briquets are the same, just with different branding. This change was made to consolidate to a unified brand offering at Lowe’s.
Aside from Lowe’s, you can also find the Cowboy Hardwood Briquets at Kroger, True Value, and other grocery stores.
Cowboy All Natural Hardwood Briquets provide long-lasting, even heat while adding the authentic, smoky flavor of hardwood, just like the Stubb’s briquets that you currently use. They are all natural – no fillers, chemicals, or additives. You can find them here on our website.
I hope this information was helpful. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me further.

Thank you,
Jessica Ledesma
Consumer Affairs
Cowboy Charcoal, LLC"

So if anyone else out there is looking for Stubb's, keep an eye out for the Cowboy All Natural Hardwood Briquets. It's the same product.

AWESOME!!!

Thanks for posting this!

Stubbs was my favorite until Weber came along, now that no one is carrying Weber anywhere local I’ve started looking for Stubbs but to no avail...

I’ll be looking for this stuff!

I posted a similar reply from Cowboy a few weeks back. Funny thing is, all the Lowe's around me sold out their Stubb's AND Cowboy at the same time. Plus, any Cowboy I've found around here has been ridiculously priced compared to last summer. Glad that I drove 60 miles and bought 20 bags at a Lowe's that had it on clearance in March.

I posted a similar reply from Cowboy a few weeks back. Funny thing is, all the Lowe's around me sold out their Stubb's AND Cowboy at the same time. Plus, any Cowboy I've found around here has been ridiculously priced compared to last summer. Glad that I drove 60 miles and bought 20 bags at a Lowe's that had it on clearance in March.

The Lowe's out here in Southern California never sold them both at the same time. They stopped stocking Stubb's months ago, and haven't gotten any of the Cowboy charcoal in yet. So I'm still waiting. But in the mean time, Ralphs Supermarket and some ACE Hardware stock it. Probably a little more expensive there, but I plan on picking some bags up soon. Best charcoal briquets I have ever used.

We got in a skid of Royal Oak briqs last night...haven't unloaded any Cowboy yet.

Used Stubb's for many years, but here in So Fl they are no longer being sold, So I am trying the Royal Oak All Natural briqs this weekend. I may try the Cowboys to see how they do.

I grabbed a bag of Cowboys a few weeks ago and have had 2 separate cooks with it.

This is anecdotal and only a single bag but I was not impressed. most of the lump was rather small, it burned pretty quick, moderate ash. I would have preferred some kingsford to be honest.

I had about 5 pounds left after my mothersday cook and i left it out uncovered, I wasnt even mad when the 3inches of rain came through last weekend.

I grabbed a bag of Cowboys a few weeks ago and have had 2 separate cooks with it.

This is anecdotal and only a single bag but I was not impressed. most of the lump was rather small, it burned pretty quick, moderate ash. I would have preferred some kingsford to be honest.

I had about 5 pounds left after my mothersday cook and i left it out uncovered, I wasnt even mad when the 3inches of rain came through last weekend.

They're referring to the briqs, not the lump. I've had similar issues with their lump.

I've used the Cowboy briqs quite a bit and can confirm it's the same as Stubb's. Unfortunately it hasn't been stocked at my local Lowe's since maybe January. I hope it doesn't go the way of Weber.

I've used the cowboy lump I found at the local grocery store, had no idea it was the same as Stubbs though (which the same store never had).
A couple people mentioned Weber Briqs....Are they not making them anymore? I got a bunch of bags when HD had them for a $1 or something like that. I've only used it once, but not sure I'm a fan of it yet. It seemed to burn cooler.

Acuired hal a dozen of the Cowboy briqs on sale about 3 months ago at Lowes. When I finish my stock of Royal Oak briqs I will try them out. I also have heard like the posts above that is is the same as the Stubbs.

They're referring to the briqs, not the lump. I've had similar issues with their lump.

I've used the Cowboy briqs quite a bit and can confirm it's the same as Stubb's. Unfortunately it hasn't been stocked at my local Lowe's since maybe January. I hope it doesn't go the way of Weber.

My Bad...saw cowboy and assumed lump.

Back