Bravo, Jeff! Perfect cook from beginning to end!

I think I like your setup better than mine as the meat juices don't leak out like they would on a horizontal spinning rotisserie. Plus, you get to carve off the meat as it cooks, like traditional AL Pastor! :thumb:

About how high is the rig you created?
Thank you Moose.

I'd love to have a real vertical spit / trompo to do both shawarma and al pastor but I don't have the room nor the courage to risk my life by telling my wife I brought this new exotic grill! :rolleyes: :laugh:

Regarding my spit: the juices still leak out but definitely not as much as a horizontal spit might. If you had the clearance and a large shallow dish (plus some heat resistant gloves) you could cut the meat off the horizontal spit.

I was limited on the height of the spit by needing it to fit under the Weber lid so that confined me to 12". If I were to use it in my Primo kamado, I could go up to 18".

Next time I'm going to use my kamado as I can heat soak it before placing the spit in and it will speed things up.

Incredible tacos!!

Yo quiero, yo quiero!!
Muchas gracias HogGrog.
Very nice! Looks like the best tacos I ever had In Puerto Vallarta and inspired me to order a vertical spit from the ceramic grill store so I can try this at home! So, you mentioned you sliced it 3 more times for a total cook time of ___ at what temperature? Good luck in the throw down and I’d say you got a great chance of taking it based on those great pron!
Thank you D&D. I cut the meat off a total of 6 times. The last time the meat was falling off while I was cutting as much as me cutting it off so I just guit and pulled it all off.

As far as the tempurature goes. I started it out slow, like at 250. I slowly ramped up the temp to mostly 350 but it once got as high as 415 and hear the end was down to 300.
Man that looks killer! Awesome job.
Thank you Cat

Dang you hit that one out of the park with bases loaded, amazing job on the photography, great plated presentation and an awesome recipe to boot...:thumb:

Dang you hit that one out of the park with bases loaded, amazing job on the photography, great plated presentation and an awesome recipe to boot...:thumb:
Thank you Bill. Speaking of the recipe, I made a mistake and accidentally said that I used 6 small guajillo chiles. I meant to say ancho chiles.

Well chit, now I got to go dig though my cooking junk and find my stove top grill. Great job and thanks for the idea.

Oh yeah Jeff! I was waiting for some crazy goodness and just as expected.:nod: Looks spectacular. :clap2:

Back