Sous Vide Brisket

Dplorable

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Apologies in advance to the purists among us who will declare this "brisket blasphemy" 130° 48 hrs water bath, ice bath 1 hr, fridge overnight. On the smoker 3 hrs 160° with a smoke tube, bump to 180° till 125° IT. The thin corner of the flat was excellent, the rest was just a little chewy but very tasty. I'm gonna try this again with another 12 hrs underwater.

P1000158.jpg

Droop

Annotation 2019-11-10 043908.jpg

Pull

P1000165.jpg

Thanx fer looking!

It looks like you were pretty aggressive trimming the fat. Right?

48 hours is a very long time to babysit the water level. I've shortened the time in sous vide by cooking brisquet at 150-160. Still lengthy at 36 hours minimum.

48 hours is a very long time to babysit the water level. ...
I have cut a sheet of bubble-pack material to fit my sous vide lashup. It just covers and floats on the top of the water and virtually eliminates evaporation. Not to say it will go for 48 hours, but you wouldn't have to check often enough to consider it baby-sitting.

I have cut a sheet of bubble-pack material to fit my sous vide lashup. It just covers and floats on the top of the water and virtually eliminates evaporation. Not to say it will go for 48 hours, but you wouldn't have to check often enough to consider it baby-sitting.

Now see, this is the gem of the day for me.

My parents used to have an above ground pool. Over the season we’d pull a large bubble wrap blanket over the surface to float and keep the heat in. If ya left it on during the full sun of the day it would act like a solar blanket and actually warm the pool.

Genius to do that for a long sous vide bath. :clap::clap:

Have you ever smoked it before the sous vide?

Yes, I have. I'd smoke at a low temp while the meat is cold to pick up max flavor then bagged and 'watered it'. But I've also placed a sous vide'd brisquet in the fridge to cool off after cooking and smoked it later. I haven't figured out if there is a good way to sous vide AND get a good bark. But always make sure to save the sous vide liquid after cooking for au jus.

It looks like you were pretty aggressive trimming the fat. Right?

Yes I was, it wasn't going to spend enough time in the smoker to dry out

I have a dedicated 5 gal cooler (with lid) for my SV.....went the whole cook without adding water

"I've shortened the time in sous vide by cooking brisquet at 150-160"

I was looking for that nice pink color I got

This was my first time doing this, I figgered I'd get a better looking brisky smoking after SV?

You could smoke before then use this to crisp the bark.

lacQel0.jpg

Yes, I have. I'd smoke at a low temp while the meat is cold to pick up max flavor then bagged and 'watered it'. But I've also placed a sous vide'd brisquet in the fridge to cool off after cooking and smoked it later. I haven't figured out if there is a good way to sous vide AND get a good bark. But always make sure to save the sous vide liquid after cooking for au jus.

That's what I was thinking too. Give it three or four hours in the smoke and get that good and settled in THEN give it the bath; provided of course you keep the meat in a bag while it's in the water bath?

@Dplorable, what was the external fat like? How about the fat between the point and the flat? At the temps you are using I'm guessing that it did not render.

@Dplorable, what was the external fat like? How about the fat between the point and the flat? At the temps you are using I'm guessing that it did not render.

No, the fat renders just fine at these low temps - it is simply slower.

That's what I was thinking too. Give it three or four hours in the smoke and get that good and settled in THEN give it the bath; provided of course you keep the meat in a bag while it's in the water bath?

I have tried this approach, and it does give a nice smoke ring, but what I didn’t realize was the smoke flavor is able to permeate the plastic bags. Your water gets discolored and gets a strong smoke smell to it, which itself is not a problem, except that it is smoke flavor no longer in the meat. Ugh!

As for SV temp, based on my research, the ideal temp for tenderness will be around 145. I have not done enough of these to 100% confirm this yet but what I have done to date is strongly pointing in that direction. At 145 it will not be pink anymore so a smoke ring from pre smoke will show, but post smoke will not form a ring (if that matters to you). The ideal is probably to smoke-SV-smoke but that gets to be real involved, and at that point I am wondering why I didn’t just smoke it the whole time.

I have also tried a charcoal grill and weed torch to firm up the bark after the bath. They help, but neither comes close to the bark you get from extended smoking. More of a sear than a bark if that makes sense.

I usually go 60 to 70 hours for a whole packet at 130ish

I have a sous vide, but rarely use it. Thanks for the reportage! :-D

Have you ever smoked it before the sous vide?

I read somewhere if you smoke before...the smoke smell will permeate the bags and leave your house smeeling like a fire pit...no actual experience.

The only thing I'm sold with sous vide on is: re-heating vacuum meats, and cooking eggs. Everything else is a sham. Just kidding on the "sham" part, but I have yet to see a "go-to" w/ sous vide.

Back