Sous vide question

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
The Anova sous vide was on sale last week and i couldn't resist pulling the trigger. The package was recieved and i picked up a chuckeye roast to break er in.

Now this type of cooking is completely new to me so i am turning to you for guidance. Ive done some reading and information is all over the board.

How long is good for a 3 inch thick roast?

Ive read a little about minimum safe temps for longer cooks.

Is there a minimum temperature setting for cooks lasting several hours?

The chucky is going for a swim as we speak. May as well post some pron

If you're using celcius I would recommend 54.5-60°C for 24-72 hours (yeah I know its a big time gap). I usually go for 54.4C for 42 hours

For that thickness, I'm with GreenDrake...it's gonna take at least 5-6 hours for the middle of the meat to equilibrate with the outside water temp. The longer times mentioned above will further tenderize the meat to make it pullable, for instance. Lots of leeway, lots of variation...lots of FUN!

I haven't done a water bath chuck yet, but the reading I've done from people who have lots of experience indicate that chuck benefits greatly from extended hold times to tenderize. 24-72 hours is supposed to yield prime rib results from beef chuck and short ribs, with 48 hours being a popular number. It will be cooked in 4-6 hours, but it will be magic in 48 from what I understand.

I haven't done a water bath chuck yet, but the reading I've done from people who have lots of experience indicate that chuck benefits greatly from extended hold times to tenderize. 24-72 hours is supposed to yield prime rib results from beef chuck and short ribs, with 48 hours being a popular number. It will be cooked in 4-6 hours, but it will be magic in 48 from what I understand.

Yes this is very true. The 4-6 hours is just the minimum amount of time to get the very middle of the 3-inch meat to the same temp as the water outside. This is usually how steaks are cooked...and then seared quickly on the outside. But to tenderize a roast, the 24-48-72 hours will transform it. There are two meat enzymes that act to tenderize meat...calpain enzymes are most active around 105F and cathepsain enzymes at 122F. If you aim to hold the meat at 105F for a few hours, then hold at 122F for a few hours, then raise the temp to your target for the remainder of the cook, you will maximize the activity of these enzymes and theoretically more efficiently tenderize your meat.

I do 2-3 inch NY strips this way...season in the bag, to 105F for an hour, then to 122F for another hour, then raise the temp to 130 for another hour...I don't like my NY strips cooked to 130, but upping the temp to 130 for an hour seems to be perfect for me to get the center to 128F. If it's going to be more than an hour before eating time...then I pour cold water in the bath and decrease the temp to hold the meat at 128F

Yes this is very true. The 4-6 hours is just the minimum amount of time to get the very middle of the 3-inch meat to the same temp as the water outside. This is usually how steaks are cooked...and then seared quickly on the outside. But to tenderize a roast, the 24-48-72 hours will transform it. There are two meat enzymes that act to tenderize meat...calpain enzymes are most active around 105F and cathepsain enzymes at 122F. If you aim to hold the meat at 105F for a few hours, then hold at 122F for a few hours, then raise the temp to your target for the remainder of the cook, you will maximize the activity of these enzymes and theoretically more efficiently tenderize your meat.

I do 2-3 inch NY strips this way...season in the bag, to 105F for an hour, then to 122F for another hour, then raise the temp to 130 for another hour...I don't like my NY strips cooked to 130, but upping the temp to 130 for an hour seems to be perfect for me. If it's going to be more than an hour before eating time...then I pour cold water in the bath and decrease the temp to hold the meat at 128F

So cooking this roast at 130 for a day and a half should be good? I was gonna just go 8 -10 but can just let it roll until dinner tomorrow.

Either way will be fine...depends on what you are shooting for...8-10 hours will probably be sliceable...24-36 hours will most likely be more tender/pullable...think shortribs in a pressure cooker fork tender

Not a good cooking method for the planning impaired... or if you are hungry right the hell now.

I've done the "bubba sous vide" in a beer cooler (what? of course I have one of those) for 1 to 1.5" steaks - and the couple of hours is close enuff to "right the hell now" that I will occasionally use it. And it has turned out really good.
But the 24, 36 ... plus cook times? I'm sure it's wondermous... but- yeah... no.
But get after it if that is your thing.

Ninja, pretty much all advise above is cool. Think of this devices like you think of smoking a chuck. Slow and low. The longer you cook it the more you will change the texture, not the internal temp (as it cannot go above the water temp). So longer equals more tender. However, as with overcooking a pork butt on your smoker, if you go too long you will end up with mushy texture to your meat and it will kill your product. Fortunately, since you are cooking at such a low temp, the window to pull it out is really really big.

A couple of tips I have found handy are 1, sear the outside of the roast first before putting it in the bag. Makes a better tasting roast I think (also, when you pull it out it doesn't look like a grey mass).

2. A little oil in the bag seems to help, not much, just enough to coat your meat, fish, whatever.

3. you don't need to use more expensive food saver bags, you can use a good ziplock type, just google to see how to get the air out of the bag using the immersion method.

4. With a roast or any big piece of meat you will get a bunch of juice in the bag (about a cup)...this is a killer base for your steak sauce, gravy, whatever. Do not waste.

Have fun with your new toy! oh, and eggs...do eggs..google it. picture homer after he eats a doughnut...

This is a new day!

Ninja is cooking at LOWER than 225° !

The whole method just seems weird to me but I look on with curiosity. Probably try it some day

Good luck

This is a new day!

Ninja is cooking at LOWER than 225° !

The whole method just seems weird to me but I look on with curiosity. Probably try it some day

Good luck

Yes hell may have frozen over. You can better believe that the sear will be +700° though

Also remember my brisket, while cooked at 275+ ends up spending almost as much time under 225

I only bought this Paul because it was $50 off and i had cash in handfrom a repair i did. Ive been eyeing it for months. At worst its a good way to reheat bbq, roasts and steaks

Yes hell may have frozen over. You can better believe that the sear will be +700° though

Also remember my brisket, while cooked at 275+ ends up spending almost as much time under 225

I only bought this Paul because it was $50 off and i had cash in handfrom a repair i did. Ive been eyeing it for months. At worst its a good way to reheat bbq, roasts and steaks

It's all good brother! I fully expect an ultra high heat sear!

Have not even priced these and I am sometime an impulse buyer. So what is the price range for this Hot tube heater? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hey Ninja
All your times and thickness are tabled by this dude
He is a food scientist or something
http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#YTLegLamb

Note he has a pasteurisation chart for food safety.
Temp and time ,both are important,forget usual cooking safe temps.
Read about soft eggs

It's all good brother! I fully expect an ultra high heat sear!

Have not even priced these and I am sometime an impulse buyer. So what is the price range for this Hot tube heater? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I believe it was $125 with the sale. I happened to fat finger the banner add that morning and went for it....the instruction manual is implicit that this device is not a hot tube heater. Seriously

Back