MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #1
carolinacue
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Ideal Temp for Pork Ribs

I've been barbecuing at home for about 9 years now. Mainly stuck to pork shoulders, occasionally smoking a whole chicken or two.

I love ribs, and I've got a free weekend, so I figured what the heck I'll give ribs a shot. In doing some reading, I've seen some suggestions that recommend smoking baby backs for 6-7 hours, then others that suggest as little as 2 hours.

My primary smoker is a CG 5050 duo model w/ firebox, and I smoke with natural apple and cherry wood that I cut myself. After removing the membrane and applying the rub, are there any tips I should employ? Seen some suggestions about using a water/drip pan, also seen some that say to spray with apple juice every 30 minutes.

Any rib tips would be greatly appreciated.
carolinacue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
frog13
On the road to being a farker

As always, many ways to cook ribs. I cook at 240, baby backs are probably about five hours for me if I don't use foil during the cook. I've cooked good ribs at temps from 225-275, depends on how long you want to cook and your patience. There are a ton of posts on cooking ribs.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-30-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I'm not picky about temps so I'll smoke them at whatever smoking temp my UDS settles in at and let it ride til done.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:39 PM   #4
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacue View Post
I've been barbecuing at home for about 9 years now. Mainly stuck to pork shoulders, occasionally smoking a whole chicken or two.

I love ribs, and I've got a free weekend, so I figured what the heck I'll give ribs a shot. In doing some reading, I've seen some suggestions that recommend smoking baby backs for 6-7 hours, then others that suggest as little as 2 hours.

My primary smoker is a CG 5050 duo model w/ firebox, and I smoke with natural apple and cherry wood that I cut myself. After removing the membrane and applying the rub, are there any tips I should employ? Seen some suggestions about using a water/drip pan, also seen some that say to spray with apple juice every 30 minutes.

Any rib tips would be greatly appreciated.
I like 275, and 6-7 hours would be long unless there was a pork loin attached;) 4-5 hours is probably pretty close in my cooker. A water pan won't hurt and if it catches the drippings it reduces the chance of flares or grease fires. I like to spray, and I like to wrap in foil. Or, if I don't want to mess with it I don't do either.

Try a couple of methods if you like and find out what works for you. What works for me, in my cooker may not be your best option and it probably won't be the same. My BGE and FE just don't cook the same. One isn't better or worse, they are just different.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
Tom Sellecks Mustache
Full Fledged Farker

I shoot for 250, but I can rarely keep it there with the weather here, so I generally settle for about 300. It will usually go about 4 hours, maybe less depending on how meaty they are. I do fill my water tray with a combo of apple juice and apple cider vinegar too, but I'm not entirely convinced it helps much.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #6
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Doing a single rack of BB's right now. These were on the meaty/large size. Went on the 26.75 OGT at 2:30 at about 275*, wrapped in foil with a glaze of Datil Pepper jelly, Datil Pepper hot sauce and sugar at 4:30, maintaining 275*, just took them out of foil at 5:30 for the last hour, the melted glaze was GREAT! I'll just wait until the meat pulls back from the bonr but I expect to take them off at 6:30, maybe 7:00.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-30-2014, 05:15 PM   #7
carolinacue
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thanks for all the info. My smoker usually settles in at about 250, so I think I'll try that methodology. I also like the idea of wrapping in foil.
carolinacue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple juice, apple wood, char griller, Cherry wood, pork ribs, water pan