MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-20-2020, 02:37 PM   #1
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jonathan
Default How Important are T-Plates in an IVC

For example, if I'm gonna throw in a big bag of KBB for a long, slow burn, how big a difference will T-plates make vs. just dumping it all in piled deep and lighting one corner? With the precise temp control on an IVC, is t-plating really necessary?

Old 09-20-2020, 05:18 PM   #2
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

They both work. I find that a maze allows me to open the intake a little more. Also without a maze if temps climb too high it could be hours before you get it back down. It's not easy to go down in temp with a maze either but it's a little quicker.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:30 PM   #3
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
They both work. I find that a maze allows me to open the intake a little more. Also without a maze if temps climb too high it could be hours before you get it back down. It's not easy to go down in temp with a maze either but it's a little quicker.

If that's the only reply I get on this question I'll still be a happy man. I hadn't thought of ANY of that. That was awesome. Thank you!!!👉💨

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-21-2020, 09:52 PM   #4
JAKs Q & brew
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jonah

I agree with pj, though I don't do a maze but rather an L or U shape around the outside of the firebox. I also find that this allows me to better plan the amount of fuel needed. For example, i know that a full L will give me 10 hours at 275 and a U will give almost 16. I have fojnd I can now plan it out to basically run out of fuel with the cook is done.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:27 PM   #5
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKs Q & brew View Post
I agree with pj, though I don't do a maze but rather an L or U shape around the outside of the firebox. I also find that this allows me to better plan the amount of fuel needed. For example, i know that a full L will give me 10 hours at 275 and a U will give almost 16. I have fojnd I can now plan it out to basically run out of fuel with the cook is done.
Great comment. If you don't re-use charcoal this tip will save you some $$$.

I forgot something. I thin out the charcoal towards the end of the maze. You don't need much lit charcoal once up to temp. I don't know if this works on all insulated cabinets but it should. It also helps if you notice temps get out of control after several hours.

SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 09-21-2020, 10:34 PM   #6
okiej
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

I tell my students there are no stupid question's. SO, What is an IVC? Is that an Insulated Vertical Cooker? Inquiring minds need to know!
okiej is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2020, 11:26 PM   #7
JAKs Q & brew
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jonah

Insulated vertical cabinet

Old 09-21-2020, 11:26 PM   #8
boogiechillen
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiej View Post
I tell my students there are no stupid question's. SO, What is an IVC? Is that an Insulated Vertical Cooker? Inquiring minds need to know!
You got it.
Weber Genesis
Weber Jumbo Joe
Homemade UDS
boogiechillen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2020, 01:11 AM   #9
Inthewoods
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I didn't use em. Never overshot a temp either. I could see something like that happening if ya were using one those guru's or similar...and it went on the fritz, I never used one of those either. It's a ridiculously simple cooker, just keep yer intake out of yer prevailing winds.

-D
Inthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-22-2020, 03:01 PM   #10
JVM59
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKs Q & brew View Post
My thoughts exactly. I use firebricks to shape an L or U around the perimeter.
JVM59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2020, 03:35 PM   #11
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

These are awesome. So helpful! Glad I asked. :-)

Old 09-22-2020, 04:36 PM   #12
Bacchus2b
is One Chatty Farker

I bought mine second hand and never used the included t-plates. Some people complain about fire jumping rows with the t-plates. My standard set up was inverted u-shape charcoal, and lighting the end near the air intake. The LSG large IVC runs forever once it gets up to temp. I never tried using a full basket of charcoal, although there is a video on YouTube of a guy on a LSG large IVC starting with a full charcoal basket on Friday and still cooking on Sunday!
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2020, 05:00 PM   #13
onemanlan
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Taylor

I short the charcoal basket to keep the charcoal bed deep. Best estimate how much charcoal I'm going to need. I found the maze put a disproportionate amount of smoke on one side of the food while zig-zagging it. My thought is that a continual line of burning charcoal will generate smoke that will equally travel up both false walls of the smoker. I set chimney lit coals on the front edge of the basket before packing it away. Generally it's best to keep your charcoal bed deeper rather than spread out which is the other reason I tend to short the box with 2 T pieces. Maze probably makes more sense in a non-reversed flow IVC.

Old 09-22-2020, 05:14 PM   #14
SirPorkaLot

Name/Nickname : John

I use the t-plates when I am doing a long smoke and what the coals to burn low and slow.
I find I can get a lower, longer, steady temp with the maze in place.

When I’m running hotter (275F+) I don’t use the t-plates at all.

Tags
IVC, t-plates