MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-25-2022, 01:16 PM   #46
Stingerhook
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marty

Looks great Brad.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-25-2022, 01:35 PM   #47
Bdsankey
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingerhook View Post
Looks great Brad.
Thank you! I think I’m going to try B&B charcoal next. I feel like the Kingsford burns up way faster than it should. I still only used ~1/2 a bag for ~13hrs of run time.

Old 06-25-2022, 06:28 PM   #48
PnkPanther
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Adam

https://www.goldenscastiron.com/kamado-grills/

Edit: nevermind you already got A good one

Old 06-27-2022, 08:52 AM   #49
Bdsankey

Little update, I did another pork butt cook that was ~14.5hrs excluding shutdown time. I loaded it with probably ~12-14lbs of B&B briquettes and still had around 40-50% left whereas the same cook with old Kingsford blue bag I had ~25-30% left.

My temps did start to climb on the grate according to my Fireboard but the dome temp gauge stayed pretty consistent so I don't know which to trust. The Firebord pit probe was telling me ~300-320f when the winds really picked up whereas the dome temp in the Weber was telling me 250-260f. When the winds died down the two temps came back within 5f of each other.

The flavor of B&B is pretty good and after seeing the burn time/low ash I will likely be sticking to their briquettes for quite some time. I just picked up 3 bags as a local hardware store had them cheaper than Kingsford blue bag.

Old 06-27-2022, 09:26 AM   #50
Fishwater2002
Full Fledged Farker

I go off of my Fireboard instead of the dome gauge & I usually run around 275 or so with the bottom damper set to the smoke setting & top about 1/4". I also recently switched to B&B Post Oak lump & love it.

Old 06-27-2022, 09:31 AM   #51
Bdsankey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwater2002 View Post
I go off of my Fireboard instead of the dome gauge & I usually run around 275 or so with the bottom damper set to the smoke setting & top about 1/4". I also recently switched to B&B Post Oak lump & love it.
That's where mine was running to maintain ~240-250 grate temps but you can see where it started to run away when the winds stayed elevated at the 8-12mph range (normal at our house). I think the pit viper setup may alleviate quite a bit of that simply because the orifice for air is so much smaller and has less of a chance to have air gust in.

https://share.fireboard.io/EFDE51

Old 06-27-2022, 09:45 AM   #52
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdsankey View Post
Well went and picked it up tonight. Paid less than the current model and got the first gen which makes me much happier as I believe this heat diffuser is superior to the current gen.

Did some bbq chicken breasts tonight. They turned out good but I certainly used too little of charcoal. I was going to cook them indirect until the end then glaze but couldn’t as I was having a hard time breaking 325f due to lack of fuel.

I’ll be doing a butt this weekend as a long test cook. Tomorrow I’ll have it running most of the day just to try and get a feel for damper settings to get to 225-250 which is where I like to do my low-n-slows.
The good thing about a kamado and lump is you can shut down the vents and reuse the remaining charcoal if you have too much. I usually er on the side of having more than I need, knowing that I can always use it again later.

Old 06-27-2022, 10:05 AM   #53
Bdsankey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
The good thing about a kamado and lump is you can shut down the vents and reuse the remaining charcoal if you have too much. I usually er on the side of having more than I need, knowing that I can always use it again later.
I do the same with briquettes, hasn't given me an issue yet. Once I burn through these 3 bags of B&B briquettes I'll try some jealous devil or similar lump but after trying these briquettes it'll be tough to leave em haha.

Old 06-27-2022, 10:08 AM   #54
SonVolt
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : SonVolt

Only thing I don't like about briquettes vs lump is all the ash to clean out. I can go months with lump before I have to clean out the minimal ash.
SonVolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2022, 10:19 AM   #55
Bdsankey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonVolt View Post
Only thing I don't like about briquettes vs lump is all the ash to clean out. I can go months with lump before I have to clean out the minimal ash.
I certainly agree to that. That is certainly one area where the Summit excels is in ash cleanup with the one touch system.

Old 07-03-2022, 10:08 PM   #56
Sanford

Name/Nickname : Kyle

I would have just recommended the 26" Weber.....

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Sanford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2022, 07:41 AM   #57
STLBBQer
is one Smokin' Farker

Late to the party, but this is what I would have recommended. I absolutely love my WSK.
WGA Charcoal
Genesis SA-E-325s

BGW Grand Slam
Pit Barrel Cooker
STLBBQer is offline   Reply With Quote