how do you get fall off the bone spares?

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Just picked up 5 lbs of spares and im not gonna trim them. This is just for eats. Gonna rub em down with some sweet hot mustard and then some rub. Im going to do 3-2-1 and use brown sugar, honey and apple juice in the foil. then pull em out and cook another hour or so.But i would like them to be really tender to the point of mostly falling off the bone but not soggy ribs..

thanx

I never foil my ribs, but if cook them for around 4.5 hours at 250 in my smoker, they will be fall of the bone.

I never foil my ribs, but if cook them for around 4.5 hours at 250 in my smoker, they will be fall of the bone.

Yup, and that's just it. From my experience(and I should caution that I don't have much..lol) it seems that it will vary based on your smoker/grill and the meat itself. I just finished building a UDS and cooked up some spares a few weekends back. I went to check on them after about 4.5 hours and they seemed to be done...meat had pulled back to show the bones, it was bending well and almost breaking apart when I tried to pick them up. Long story short...I should have pulled them then and let them rest but since all I had read was 5 or 6 hours I left them on for another hour and they were slightly overcooked(IMO) as a result.

Now that doesn't mean the other people who cook theirs longer were wrong, just that it may take longer in their cooker or perhaps they just like their ribs done differently than I do. Who knows? I just think that you have to use trial and error to figure out what works best for you and your setup.

There was actually a great thread on this a few days back with a lot of debate on the matter that I recommend reading.

3-2-1? It doesn't work for me. Last time I did 2hrs in foil I had to spoon them out. Mush! Eat em with a straw. And thats at 225.

+1

I even cut my times back on the last set. 2.5, 1.5, 1 and found they were over cooked. That's cooking them in a UDS, temp ranged from 220 - 245. That was with 2 racks of BB and 1 rack of spares. Spares weren't as bad, but still over cooked IMO.

Yeah, I gave up on foiling. I've figured out how to cook them with no foil to perfection.

Foil makes them steam and tenderize, but I think it's too much of a hassle to check them, especially since I double wrapped 'em. PLUS....it's real easy to overcook. I just cook them for about 3-3.5 hrs at 225-250 and they get a great pull back and are a perfect tender bite through but I can still pick up the rack with tongs and they won't fall apart.

HOWEVER....if you're LOOKING for fall off the bone.....foil will get it done for you, as everyone's suggested. Overcook=fall-off-the-bone.

Still pretty tasty though.:becky:

+1

I even cut my times back on the last set. 2.5, 1.5, 1 and found they were over cooked. That's cooking them in a UDS, temp ranged from 220 - 245. That was with 2 racks of BB and 1 rack of spares. Spares weren't as bad, but still over cooked IMO.

Yep... I've found that 3-2-1 is too much as well. When I DID foil I also found that instead of 3-2-1, 2-1-1/2 was really all it took. Still tended to overcook em.

this may be a first (and a possible sign of the apocalypse)

a rib cooking post in which pretty much all are in agreement. you want fall-off-the-bone ribs......

overcook them (insert wink here)

Back