MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:37 PM   #136
joe bucker
Found some matches.

I just got back from Lowe's today and looked at the Smokey Joe's Banders smoker from the measurements that I took and compared to my old Banders the parts look interchangeable.
Some of the bolt holes for assembly may be different, but the racks are the same. The model number for the new Banders is 16202020 if any one needs some parts from Char-Broil.
joe bucker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2017, 08:58 PM   #137
Boo Radlee
Got rid of the matchlight.

Could you send me a copy of Bandera 101 in rich text please? Some reason, unable to open the Word version.

thanks,

[email protected]
Boo Radlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2017, 08:50 PM   #138
mrbill
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radlee View Post
Could you send me a copy of Bandera 101 in rich text please? Some reason, unable to open the Word version.

thanks,

[email protected]
email sent. .rtf was too big to be attached, but i tried a couple diff formats and sent them to you.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:59 PM   #139
CFGal
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default Bandera 101 doc

Could someone please email me the Bandera 101 doc? My new Bandera is on the way, delivery on 6-8!

Thank you,
[email protected]
CFGal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2017, 10:23 PM   #140
mrbill
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFGal View Post
Could someone please email me the Bandera 101 doc? My new Bandera is on the way, delivery on 6-8!

Thank you,
[email protected]

done

Old 06-05-2017, 10:51 PM   #141
bbeavers
Got Wood.

101 doc was a great intro to outfitting your Bandera. I did a few cheap mods that was not on the list. In the fire box I took out the grill rack and clips that held up the grill rack. I repurposed the clips in the smoke box for retainers to keep the racks from falling out when loaded with meat when you pull them out. Place them in the middle of the rack clips on top of the rack then mark a spot to drill a hole to bolt to the smoke box. Use all four, two on each side stacked where you need them. Back to the fire box. I bought 6 fire bricks from Home Depot and started to place a layer on the bottom and three sides. Didn't have enough so on my way back to the Depot I found a masonry supply store and bought them at a fraction of the price. You will have to trim two of them to make a layer for the bottom. For the ones on the side I got a 4 bolts, washers, and nuts to hold them in place. To trim them, Soak them in water and cut them with circular saw using diamond concrete blade. You will have to modify the charcoal grate to make it fit back in. I cut a short link out and bolted them back together. You have to cut the ash pan also. I would suggest cutting the ash pan narrower than the charcoal rack to easily pull as out while smoking. Something I need to do.

One more that was mentioned in the document but I did it easy and cheap is the lid mod. There is a lot of dead space in the lid. I took out the direct flame ability for fire brick addition so I got two small pieces of flat steel (small gauge) and cut a narrow V about an inch from the outside corner on one at each corner. This makes "tabs" that slide over the inside lip of the lid. One sheet didn't fill the entire space so on the other sheet I only cut 2 V's and slid this one over the other to fill the gap. To keep it from sliding around I screwed a self tapping screw into the two sheets. Doesn't budge and easy to remove.

I hope this is helpful and you enjoy your Bandera. I can load mine up with charcoal and wood chunks and not have to touch it for about 3 hours.
bbeavers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2017, 09:19 PM   #142
Boo Radlee

Many thanks to Mr.Bill for the email with the Bandera doc. Lots of great info and tips. I plan on taking advantage of all the mods during the rebuild of my $50 find.
Boo Radlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2017, 10:28 PM   #143
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeavers View Post
101 doc was a great intro to outfitting your Bandera. I did a few cheap mods that was not on the list. In the fire box I took out the grill rack and clips that held up the grill rack. I repurposed the clips in the smoke box for retainers to keep the racks from falling out when loaded with meat when you pull them out. Place them in the middle of the rack clips on top of the rack then mark a spot to drill a hole to bolt to the smoke box. Use all four, two on each side stacked where you need them. Back to the fire box. I bought 6 fire bricks from Home Depot and started to place a layer on the bottom and three sides. Didn't have enough so on my way back to the Depot I found a masonry supply store and bought them at a fraction of the price. You will have to trim two of them to make a layer for the bottom. For the ones on the side I got a 4 bolts, washers, and nuts to hold them in place. To trim them, Soak them in water and cut them with circular saw using diamond concrete blade. You will have to modify the charcoal grate to make it fit back in. I cut a short link out and bolted them back together. You have to cut the ash pan also. I would suggest cutting the ash pan narrower than the charcoal rack to easily pull as out while smoking. Something I need to do.

One more that was mentioned in the document but I did it easy and cheap is the lid mod. There is a lot of dead space in the lid. I took out the direct flame ability for fire brick addition so I got two small pieces of flat steel (small gauge) and cut a narrow V about an inch from the outside corner on one at each corner. This makes "tabs" that slide over the inside lip of the lid. One sheet didn't fill the entire space so on the other sheet I only cut 2 V's and slid this one over the other to fill the gap. To keep it from sliding around I screwed a self tapping screw into the two sheets. Doesn't budge and easy to remove.

I hope this is helpful and you enjoy your Bandera. I can load mine up with charcoal and wood chunks and not have to touch it for about 3 hours.
if you take some pics and write up a description for the steps, i can include them in the bandera101 doc.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2017, 10:38 PM   #144
bbeavers
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
if you take some pics and write up a description for the steps, i can include them in the bandera101 doc.
Yes sir. Will do
bbeavers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2017, 07:19 AM   #145
NMETL_Tony

Question: has anyone tried the minion method with the Firebox using T plates in them? How good does charcoal hold heat in the Bandera? Thanks.
NMETL_Tony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2017, 12:06 PM   #146
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMETL_Tony View Post
Question: has anyone tried the minion method with the Firebox using T plates in them? How good does charcoal hold heat in the Bandera? Thanks.

Assuming all the necessary gaskets and seals are in place, it holds heat very well. You're just going to have to reload every 3-4 hours, depending on how hot you're going.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:21 AM   #147
10miler
Full Fledged Farker

I was at Walmart yesterday and looked at the Bandera. It looks like the current model now has a firebox baffle. Has the firebox grate been upgraded too to address the airflow issues? It's hard to tell from the pics in the Bandera 101 document.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:26 AM   #148
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10miler View Post
I was at Walmart yesterday and looked at the Bandera. It looks like the current model now has a firebox baffle. Has the firebox grate been upgraded too to address the airflow issues? It's hard to tell from the pics in the Bandera 101 document.

It has about 2" under the coal grate.
RT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2017, 11:37 AM   #149
10miler
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
It has about 2" under the coal grate.
Was the original right on the firebox floor? You're saying the new one is better, right?

Old 08-18-2017, 12:19 PM   #150
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10miler View Post
Was the original right on the firebox floor? You're saying the new one is better, right?
I don't know about the original mine is the new one. But 2" should be enough based on what I have seen in my Longhorn, the Bandera is new and haven't run it yet. Will know more this week-end.
RT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bandera 101