Cleaning PBC?

Av8er

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
How often should I clean the insid of my PBC? I have had it a while now and have never cleaned it nor really thought about it. What's your thoughts?

Ok, so I am good!!! So why do people clean their revers flow stick burners? Just curious.

Ok, so I am good!!! So why do people clean their revers flow stick burners? Just curious.

To get the grease out.

I don't have a PBC, but I do have a couple of WSMs. In addition to cleaning out the ashes and scraping the grates off after every cook, I also brush the inside walls and inside of the lid occasionally to knock any creosote buildup off.

Surface creosote I do not even bother.. but with the amount of fat build up I get at the bottom of the WSM due to poundage of brisket & butts.. I scrap the bottom after each cook (or the beginning of a new one).

1. After continued use, you may notice a buildup on the inside of the barrel. It’s not peeling paint, but is called a “Seasoned Drum” and is normal and not harmful. https://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/resources/cleaning-maintenance/

2. The PBC is designed that grease drops into the charcoal and burns. This adds to the flavor the PBC produces and burns up most of the grease.

3. Have you ever seen the inside of Sako's PBC????

A lot of times I will leave the lid off when I am finished to burn up anything down in the bottom.

I used to put down a bed of foil on the bottom of the PBC because I don't like the buildup of grease sludge down there but lately I've taken to something a Gateway drum guy does:
1) I got some Floor Dry pellets from Auto Zone (used to soak up motor oil) that I line the bottom with that soaks up the grease and never burn.
2) After 2-3 cooks, I clean with a dedicated, long handled pooper scooper from Amazon.
So easy and not messy.
As others said, don't bother cleaning up the sides but I do worry about cresoate buildup on the bottom of the lid dripping on the food. I clean that like I do my Egg: crumpled ball of foil every 6 months or so.

I had a mold issue in my UDS. I smoked some bacon and dried some jerky, never really got it hot. And the humidity here was/is horrible. I pulled it out for the last bacon I smoked and saw a drum full of moldy fuzziness. I built a small stick fire in the basket and cautiously squirted lighter fluid in it. Once it caught it burned without the fluid. I lost years of seasoning but it's like a new drum inside now. It got so hot it discolored the paint on the outside.

Back