MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
Jeep
On the road to being a farker

Default Mandolin suggestions

I am looking to purchase one. It seems they range from $20 to $200. Does anyone have one that they would recommend. I imagine that it would be most useful in making slaw with all the cabbage and carrots that get cut up. But Cucumbers for pickle slices would save me some knife work too.

If anyone thinks that I should be looking for something other than a mandolin... please feel free to make other suggestions. Sometimes I don't realize that what I need is not what I am asking about.

Thanks
-Jeep

Old 03-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have a rather expensive Miu Mandolin, all stainless that I have never failed to be disappointed with, the blades dulled quickly, the adjustments are wonky, etc...I learned on an old one, the new one is terrible. I is useless for almost everything but slicing slaw, and if I am in a hurry, buy the time I get it all set up, I can break down three heads of cabbage with my knife and board.

On the other hand, all of the Kyocera ones, for around $20 to $25 bucks are terrific. They are small, effective and handy.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

We have a few, from a stainless french one, down to a cheap V slicer. My absolute favorite is this one . Comes with a boatload of blade choices, and it won't break the bank! Ours came with an accessory blade pack, not sure if that's still available. We got ours at Bed, Bath, and Beyond I think

KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

I have an Oscar Reed Smith mandolin, it doesn't sound or play as good as a Gibson, but it notes well, and you can't beat it for $350.

On a serious note, I also have a Oneida mandoline, about $35 at Kmart, works great for most things. I use it a lot for making different cuts of french fries. Not as versatile as some of the more expensive ones, but it's given me a lot of service over the last couple years.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
deguerre

I've got a Kitchenaid that cost about 50 bucks when I got it that I love.

[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

I've got the same one as Smoke & Stoke. America's Test Kitchen had it rated as their top choice. I now use it all the time, great for french fries, potato chips, fine julienne for stir fries etc.

It's easy to use and very easy to clean, I highly recommend it.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #7
chicagokp
Babbling Farker

I have this one....

http://www.kitchen-universe.com/de-B...00.htm?click=4

The classic and not the ultra (which gets poor reviews for the dice mechanism).

Works well, is stainless, sharp blades.
Weber Performer
22.5 Weber OTG
WGA Charcoal
Weber Genesis
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
caseydog

Mandolins are fantastic at removing fingertips, if you don't use the PITA holder thingies that come with them, because chefs use their hands, but you're not a chef. Don't ask how I know this.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

good advice Casey!
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #10
buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
I am looking to purchase one. It seems they range from $20 to $200. Does anyone have one that they would recommend. I imagine that it would be most useful in making slaw with all the cabbage and carrots that get cut up. But Cucumbers for pickle slices would save me some knife work too.

If anyone thinks that I should be looking for something other than a mandolin... please feel free to make other suggestions. Sometimes I don't realize that what I need is not what I am asking about.

Thanks
-Jeep
Very recently, TFO bought a julliene peeler.
Here is a vid to give you the idea, but this German double sided model we got is far more advanced and does far more jobs.
I mention this as an alternative because depending on volumes, it may be a $10 option that is far handier than a mandolin.
It is for us

Old 03-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #12
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

Have a Bron
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
stl-rich
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
Very recently, TFO bought a julliene peeler.
Here is a vid to give you the idea, but this German double sided model we got is far more advanced and does far more jobs.
I mention this as an alternative because depending on volumes, it may be a $10 option that is far handier than a mandolin.
It is for us
Pampered Chef Julienne Cutter Demo - Zucchini Spaghetti - Gluten Free GAPS diet - YouTube
Looks really cool - will it work on homemade pastrami?
stl-rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #14
IamMadMan

I use the Bron and sometimes an OXO for small kitchen tasks, but I bit the bullet for a Sausage Maker Stainless Steel Cabbage Shredder for coleslaw and sauerkraut making. It weighs about 30 pounds and has 3 cutting blades filling a food / meat tub of cabbage in only a few minutes.

The Sausage Maker sells it for $130.00 but Wiseman Trading has it for $109.00 It has 3 fixed blades and only makes thin slices, perfect for cabbage.

You have to buy what suits your needs
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #15
PitRow
is one Smokin' Farker

I got one of these as a wedding present: OXO Good Grip's chef's mandoline.

Does the job, never had a problem with it.

the little holder thingy is kinda a pain to use with smaller stuff, but I imagine it's that way with every mandolin. This is the only mandolin I've ever had so I can't tell if it's a good one or not, but so far I haven't found anything to really dislike.