MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:35 AM   #1
Mookieman
Found some matches.

Default Still need some input on low temp problem

My first post must have been to long to stomach.....let me try a shorter one.

New Oklahoma Joe Highland. Can't get it hot enough without burning through large amounts of fuel (charcoal and wood).

Sealed tight, no leaks ✔
Latches ✔
BBQMods baffling ✔
Airflow good ✔
Dryer vent to grate level ✔
Raised grate in firebox ✔
Open smokestack ✔

I get the firebox roaring and consuming fuel at an astonishingly fast rate, but the pit barely gets to 300. I ain't in there looking every 2 minutes either. It just takes a half hour to get from a quick basting back to 250 even. What gives?
Mookieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2017, 08:41 AM   #2
Piomarine
On the road to being a farker

Try burnin splits. The OK Joe wasn't meant to run on charcoal and I know several here will tell you likewise. Start a chimney of charcoal, but only use it the get the log splits burning. From then on nothing but wood. Also try closing down your chimney damper some. If you're running it wide open it's possible that you are just letting heat escape through the chimney faster than you can replace it.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:46 AM   #3
Mookieman
Found some matches.

I did try backing off on the smokestack a little at a time. It's not the fire in the firebox that's the problem. I can get that hot enough to melt the paint off the sides. I'm have trouble transferring the heat over for some reason.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:48 AM   #4
Notorious Q.U.E.
is One Chatty Farker

Wood's the way to go. As you'll see in my other posts, Kingsford Logs were my "gateway fuel" on the way to becoming totally hooked on stick burning. I go exhaust stack wide open.

To me, charcoal is just a startup and maybe middle-of-the-night maintenance heat source, whereas wood splits are the main event. Roger Davidson was the granddaddy of OKJ and he designed the pit with wood burning in mind. I believe his brother, Joseph, is the namesake of OKJ. Anyhow, wood all the way--you won't turn back!

"...can't you see? Sometimes your words just hypnotize me and I just love your flashy ways. Guess that's why they broke and you're so paid!!!"
Notorious Q.U.E. is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-05-2017, 08:51 AM   #5
Mookieman
Found some matches.

I get that, but my problem isn't "the fire box isn't hot enough". I had that thing roaring twice now. The first time I started with a minion method with 100, then 150, then 200+ briquettes and I finally said screw it and went to a forest fire of wood and charcoal. The heat coming out of there just about enough to set your eyebrows on fire when you opened it.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:55 AM   #6
Shagdog
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I saw people answer you in the last one, so I didn't respond. Burn Splits. You can start with some charcoal to establish a coal bed, but you should be burning logs, not charcoal.

I would lose the dryer vent to grate level. I've always thought that was a dumb mod. It interferes with your airflow, and is potentially causing you problems. For that matter, I would look at your baffle set up too, it could also be hampering correct performance.

A minion method will not work in a stick burner. They're too drafty. Everything you put in is going to burn.

From what you're saying, I'm definitely thinking your mods are affecting performance. Lose the dryer vent first, burn splits, and see how it goes.

Come Join the fun in the Throwdowns!

Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master

Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-05-2017, 09:00 AM   #7
Mookieman
Found some matches.

The dryer vent is adjustable, you can turn it so there's just a curve going left or right, but I will try just pulling it off completely (one thing I haven't tried). We'll see how that goes. Airflow still looked good with it in. Plenty of exhaust and nothing smoking from anywhere else. That thing is airtight everywhere else. It would probably float for hours in a lake (lol). I just can't figure out how it can be so blazing hot in the firebox and mediocre warm in the pit.

ps - I got zero replies on the last post (oh well)

Old 06-05-2017, 09:06 AM   #8
Piomarine
On the road to being a farker

Even with poor airflow smoke will eventually come out of the stack and give the illusion of performance, but you need more draw to pull more heat. This is doubly so in a reverse flow which I believe the highlander is. So like you said you do, pull the dryer vent, burn splits, and call us in the morning lol

Old 06-05-2017, 09:08 AM   #9
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Stick burners don't need to be airtight -they don't even need a door on the end of the firebox. Get rid of the dryer vent elbow and urn firewood like everybody has said.

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 06-05-2017 at 09:57 AM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-05-2017, 09:10 AM   #10
SmittyJonz

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh....php?p=3793496

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=209208

Old 06-05-2017, 09:13 AM   #11
Mookieman
Found some matches.

The vent has got to be it. Like Piomarine said, you still need that "draw". If the vent is affecting the draw, that would be a significant development.

People keep telling me to burn wood, but getting the firebox hot isn't my problem. I can't get the heat to transfer. I can't see what difference it would make to burn a different material if you can't get it to transfer to the pit.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:15 AM   #12
PatAttack

Like others have said...start with a charcoal bed and burn SPLITS!

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2017, 09:59 AM   #13
SmittyJonz

Ditch the dryer vent and try charcoal again - it'll work but you may get tired of feeding it 2-3 bags per cook and reallze firewood is cheaper.......... or maybe you won't.

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-05-2017, 10:08 AM   #14
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

It took me the longest time to realize that charcoal just doesn't work in a stick burner. I could get my firebox up to 900* and it still was cooking at 275-300, once I went to splits I was a happy camper. Even with the door open it was cooking nicely and the briskets were something to write home about. Wood is the answer and ditch your dryer hose.

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2017, 11:08 AM   #15
Mookieman
Found some matches.

Thing I can't figure out is, 900 degrees is 900 degrees. If it's hot in the firebox using one fuel, it should be just as hot for the other and the pit temp should be the same. I get it would be cheaper and the fuel would last longer, going with wood over charcoal, but even with the near nuclear temps I was getting the pit was barely getting to 300.

It's gotta be the vent. Also, I'm going to MacGyver a O2 delivery system out of my Qmaster. Something like a burner for air that runs under neither the firebox grate.