First Pork Butt and I have a few questions

Framedogg

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am doing my first pork butt for pulled pork tomorrow and I was able to get a really great deal on the meat ($1.19/lb) so I ended up with 2 8lb butts. If I end up cooking both should I be expecting a significantly longer cook time? I was assuming about 8-9 hours total cook or about 1 hour per lb per butt at 275. I will also be going by internal temp but i just want to let the family know when they are gonna eat. Any help would be much appreciated.

It depends a little bit on how cramped a space you're cooking in.....what cooker?

More cold mass means a little longer to catch up to level cooking temp, but not generally x 1.5 or anything like that....most circumstances, 10% longer?

Situation like that, I try to get a good, hot, solid startup......

Have great dinner !!!

Pulled pork? Don't cook by internal temp. If its bone in, cook it until the bone pulls clean out with no resistance (typically in 200+ ranges). Ill smoke my butts for about 2/3 of the cook to get some nice bark, then wrap in a foil pan to get some rendered juices out to put back in after the pork has been pulled.

Hey all,

I am doing my first pork butt for pulled pork tomorrow and I was able to get a really great deal on the meat ($1.19/lb) so I ended up with 2 8lb butts. If I end up cooking both should I be expecting a significantly longer cook time? I was assuming about 8-9 hours total cook or about 1 hour per lb per butt at 275. I will also be going by internal temp but i just want to let the family know when they are gonna eat. Any help would be much appreciated.

That's the worse part about this type of cooking, guessing when it will be done. Some butts are just stubborn and can take longer. If you haven't done it a lot, my advice would be to plan for it to take longer. Plan for 10-11 hours and if it gets done early you can wrap it in foil, wrap that in a towel or two and place it in a cooler. You can leave it in there for 2-3 hours and it will still be plenty hot when you go to pull it. Good luck!

It's a vertical gas smoker...one of the cheapo amazon ones. Forget the brand but there is plenty of room. I will plan about 10% extra time. Thank you so much! I'll post pics tonight or tomorrow!

Butts are great because they will hold in a cooler for hours if you finish early. I always shoot for finishing an hour or 2 early and usually end up right on time. Predicting when it's done hardly ever works out well for me. If you finish early just let it sit on the counter for 10-15 minutes, then wrap in foil and cooler it till time to pull.

Always give yourself 1-2 hours. I rather it finish early than people waiting to eat.

Back