Looking for some ideas of what to have for a huge 50th Bday (mine) cook

That is the best meat pic ever. Heck, even if a shelf gives way it will just fall a little onto more meat. :clap:

FWIW, ran out of space in that fridge, so a whole top round sub primal, a 15lb bundle pack of tri tip and 12lbs of inside skirt are in the kitchen fridge. Two whole brisket flats and 2 pork butts were up there as well, but all 4 are sitting in water baths right now.

THE COOK HAS STARTED !!!!!!!!!

This is going to be epic! Why oh Why would you not cook 4 butts for pulled pork?
So easy and pain free, and a filler if you need.

There is Always Time!
Good Luck!!

This is going to be epic! Why oh Why would you not cook 4 butts for pulled pork?
So easy and pain free, and a filler if you need.

There is Always Time!
Good Luck!!

Just for you mchar.

5S80qvo.jpg

zqOafnx.jpg

nVEdopd.jpg

First pic is some top round sliced for bulgogi. There are two butts swimming in the pot. They'll be smoked and pulled Sat.

Second pic is 15lbs of Char Siu pork belly taking a bath.

Third pic is 2 whole brisket flats swimming away.

FWIW, I'm still somewhat enamored with Sous Vide right now. This is only my 2nd time doing butts, and first time doing belly or brisket in the water. Don't know that I'll do things this way from now on, but at least for this party, it's much more convenient.

Well hell. Tapatalk wants to force me to VIP to upload more than 1 image at a time, and IMGUR is resizing things even though I told it not to. Going to have to figure out some other way to do images. (Screw you photobucket).

I have vacuum sealer envy :becky: I like where this is headed.

Heheh, thanks. Yeah, that thing is a freaking beast. It's the VP215 with the oiled pump. Damned thing will run duty cycles all day, and pretty quietly.

On another note, damn, I sure hope all the mishaps that have happened tonight will mean that things will go smoothly with the party.

I had filled 3 vac bags with top round and bulgogi marinade and while vac packing one of them, I heard what sounded like an overflowing sink. Turned around to find one of my bags had fallen over and marinade was dripping all over the floor. Luckily, none of the meat fell out.

But, as fate would have it, the dodging of the bullet didn't last. Just made up some of Moose's Al Pastor sauce/marinade/whatever and had it in a 2.5 gallon zipper lock with 10 lbs of sliced butt. It seems that the zipper wasn't quite zipped and only 8.5 lbs or so of the butt made it into the fridge.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Flat parsley is chopped, Chimichurri has been concocted, inside skirt has been trimmed, scored, seasoned, slathered and bagged to marinate til tomorrow. Still haven't decided it if will get done SV or just straight up grilled.
1ecd4ca50fb438a1a1aca90426af13d3.jpg
db3312205e6aae2ea45153a76ef6092c.jpg

Thanks!

Confession time. I've never made moinks. Total complete virgin at it. Still, I thought, no big deal. Didn't even have to buy any bacon as I always seem to have 20lbs or so on hand.

Busted open my first 1lb, put a meatball at one end, started rolling, seemed that about 1/2 a slice was what was needed. Took my knife and cut the rest of the slices in half. As I got to my 8th or 9th meatball, it kind of dawned on me that my 1lb of bacon wasn't going to make it that far. Given that I was doing 250 moinks, holy crap, that was going to take close to 10lbs of bacon.

Word to the wise, IF your personal stock of bacon is EXTRA THICK BUTCHER'S cut like mine normally is, go ahead and run out to the store and get some regular "normal" sliced bacon. Oh, and yeah, let the bacon warm up a bit and then stretch the slices. Only need 1/3 of a slice for a Sams Club meatball.
8f7be4bd802a5c034344c62d14d8ba2c.jpg

Some photos

Some tri tip
d334a394c22103b5b5383dc05dc08724.jpg

Moose's Pork Al Pastor taking a spin.
2599a749b20d8a557560bc0ab36b47b0.jpg

Some Picanha taking a turn. (Deep fryer is in the background)
989f108c3698af6d8a74a2921c4dc13f.jpg

Another Roti with Picanha
96164fe617fb03bd3e6a0446b271454e.jpg

The remains of 250 Moinks
228167ea4ac6dbe2852dd146049bc8b3.jpg

A sampler plate someone fixed of a few of the offerings. Brisket, tri tip, Char Siu pork belly, Bulgogi, Kalbi and Churrasco (inside skirt with chimichurri)
5bbe0cf70c5fa8c567ffa38e0c887bb5.jpg

8c7b7e60d8defca595f95a30f923a871.jpg

91fadb838f0299f2dfc2277964a3dd67.jpg

e0fc5ab25cd0bebb3419740c00c5a00d.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Man, what a feast!!!

Thanks. Yeah, a feast is definitely a good description.

I think this is what I ended up with.

20lbs Injected and smoked hot wings
10lbs Deep fried Buffalo Wings
10lbs Deep fried Garlic Parm Wings
12lbs Moinks
12lbs Char Sui Pork Belly
15lbs Picanha
10lbs Kalbi
15lbs Bulgogi
8 racks, about 20 - 24lbs Baby Backs
12lbs Brisket
15lbs Tri Tip
8lbs Churrasco with Chimichurri
10lbs Pork Al Pastor
2lbs Oakridge Smoky Chili Lime grilled Salmon
Oh, and 2 Hamburgers :laugh:

So, I failed in my goal of having 20 offerings. But I'm ok with that.

FWIW, Ribs were going to be one of the "dinner entrees" that I was going to dish up around 6pm, but, they finished earlier that anticipated. I tried slowing the WSM down, but it was basically shut it down completely or just pull the ribs early and offer them up.

At that point, I talked to the crowd and told them what happened, said that I had more meats/dishes planned and ready to be cooked. They all basically said "No, we're done". Everyone had that glassed over food/meat coma look to them. I said "Ok, but brisket will be ready in about 15 mins".

After brisket was presented, I was throwing meats back into the cooler and suddenly realized that I hadn't cooked any of the Churrasco/skirt. Oh hell no, that just wouldn't do. So I loaded more charcoal and grilled that up.

So, chicken breasts, ribeyes, tenderloins, teres major and salmon were all left in the fridge. Turns out my sister in law wasn't there for the discussion and came to me a bit later asking if there was any chicken breasts left. Oh dear, gotta keep my SIL happy. I asked her if she wanted chicken or salmon, she opted for the salmon, so I threw a couple of lbs of it on. Then, her son and his family arrived and the little daughter looked over all the meats and then softly asked if there were any hamburgers? What's a guy to do ?? I grilled up some burgers for her of course :)

That's awesome. I'm impressed by the total amount of pounds of meat that you cooked! That's a huge undertaking and it looks like you knocked it out of the park!

That's awesome. I'm impressed by the total amount of pounds of meat that you cooked! That's a huge undertaking and it looks like you knocked it out of the park!

Thanks! There were definitely some mishaps. Did 2 top round London Broils via Sous Vide for 12 hours @131. They came out kind of dry, powdery and waaaay too tender. The texture was awful. Also, due to the extended cooking time, they appeared to be mid well. I was so disappointed and pissed that I stopped slicing, threw them in a bag and dumped them in the cooler to be dealt with later. Absolutely no way I was going to serve them.

One big thing is that I never got around to making out an actual schedule for doing each specific item. That messed with my timings to a fair degree.

But all in all, I'm happy with how things turned out.

Back