Arteflame seasoning and first cook

JJJBBQ

Take a breath!
Reaction score
After finishing the backyard remodeling/landscaping, we designated a little area for a small fire pit. But, true to my nature, couldn’t settle for the wood fired pits available. We entertain semi-frequently between the kids’ parties and work functions. Had been eyeing the Arteflame as a centerpiece for the backyard during the whole renovation process.

Clearly not the most efficient way of cooking. But I think there’s an entertainment factor for get togethers that will hopefully make it worthwhile. At least that’s what I tried to sell to the missus. Surprisingly, after the initial shock of the price for the unit, she gave me the green light. Even more surprisingly, she told me to get the big one because she liked the European stand better than the one for the medium sized one. After 15 years of marriage, she’ll still throw me a bone every once in a while.

Had to enlist a couple buddies to help get it set up. Burn in and seasoning currently underway. Once it’s done, I’ll throw some leftover skewers from last night on as a test. Will update as the process continues.

Last edited:
It’s definitely a learning process and I’ve got the burn marks to prove it.
Lesson 1: this thing is massive. Start with a huge fire.
Lesson 2: maybe seasoning it in high 80’s degree weather at high noon wasn’t such a great idea.
Lesson 3: heat proof gloves...

Last edited:
Finished product ended up pretty well. Learned to use more wood then you would think in the beginning. And then to add wood before you think you need it. Had a little fire management problem where the temp dropped right as I put the skewers on. Still managed to find the hot zones and get everything done all right. It’s definitely uneven heat (at least when running with a smaller fire), but I ended up using it like a two zone grill. Clean up was a breeze. Just scraped everything into the fire and re-seasoned it with vegetable oil. Will definitely be a fun toy to play with!

Last edited:
Nice!

Looks like a really fun piece of kit, especially as you get more comfortable with it.

I look forward to your future adventures.

That's an awesome piece of equipment and thanks for all the pics. It looks like a lot of fun, but I'm a very clumsy person and I know I'd burn myself every time I used it. haha

Very nice, glad a brethren has one. I was trying to talk wife into letting me get one, but no dice

That's an awesome piece of equipment and thanks for all the pics. It looks like a lot of fun, but I'm a very clumsy person and I know I'd burn myself every time I used it. haha

I got a little love kiss from the hot grill during the first run. It reminds you who the boss is...

That thing is awesome! I would have to have a set of long tongs for sure! :-D

I have been looking at those for the last year. - need to set up my outdoor area. I'll be following.

Back