Found a New Braunfels Bandera for me!

JamesTuribius

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi ya'll,

I'm excited about this, I found a NB Bandera for $170 in need of some love, I'm ready to make some of the modifications on the Bandera101 document, but first I have to clean this badboy because it still has some chicken smell to it haha.. I'm getting the rust-o-leum hi temp and the silicone to start working on it.

I have a 22" WSM , a Weber Performer and a custom made stainless steel grill, but I reeeeeeally wanted an offset vertical smoker and this popped up on my facebook marketplace so I had to get it! Is this one of the older models that are more sturdy??

The "table" that goes on the firebox is missing from the pictures cause I had to remove it for transportation.

Any ideas on replacing the water bowl and the brackets that support it? they're missing completely.

If you have any ideas that could help out on getting the most out of this smoker are more than welcome!

Attachments

• newbraufels.jpg
    newbraufels.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 429
  • newbraufels2.jpg
    newbraufels2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 430
There a few of those around this site so, hopefully, an owner will be along shortly to help you out with the important mods and advice. I know a lot of people are very happy with them so, you should be in good company very soon and on your way to some great BBQ.

Thanks guys, I'm slowly working on it, cleaning and sanding some of the parts, it's a little rusty in some places but overall it looks good, I'll take some pictures.

Is this one of the older models that are more sturdy??

Any ideas on replacing the water bowl and the brackets that support it? they're missing completely.

If the New Braunfels logo says Made in USA under FEL, it predates the CharBroil buyout. The metal is 10 or 11 gauge, about 1/8" thick, plenty sturdy. IIRC the really early ones were maybe 3/16"?

A stout stainless steel bowl will work for the water pan - Check a pet store, they may have something about the right size. Brackets hook into the holes in the shelf supports, so use those holes to get an idea for the round stock diameter you need. You'll have to bend new brackets to match the new bowl.

I'm traveling for a couple weeks, I'll post bracket & bowl pics when I get back home.

Search for posts by me, you'll find older pics of my firebox lining and fire basket.

It's a stickburner, I start with a couple cold chimneys of lump in the basket and a couple splits, light it with a weedburner, and keep feeding splits. Warm the splits on the top of the firebox, so they catch right away, otherwise you're pushing dirty smoke into the cook chamber:tsk:

Congrats on your find :clap: Welcome to the fun!

If the New Braunfels logo says Made in USA under FEL, it predates the CharBroil buyout. The metal is 10 or 11 gauge, about 1/8" thick, plenty sturdy. IIRC the really early ones were maybe 3/16"?

A stout stainless steel bowl will work for the water pan - Check a pet store, they may have something about the right size. Brackets hook into the holes in the shelf supports, so use those holes to get an idea for the round stock diameter you need. You'll have to bend new brackets to match the new bowl.

I'm traveling for a couple weeks, I'll post bracket & bowl pics when I get back home.

Search for posts by me, you'll find older pics of my firebox lining and fire basket.

It's a stickburner, I start with a couple cold chimneys of lump in the basket and a couple splits, light it with a weedburner, and keep feeding splits. Warm the splits on the top of the firebox, so they catch right away, otherwise you're pushing dirty smoke into the cook chamber:tsk:

Congrats on your find :clap: Welcome to the fun!

Thanks for the info!
It doesn't say Made in USA! sadly, however it doesn't feel too bad, I mean, it's not like flimsy, kinda sturdy.

Does It make a diference if I use the waterpan/bowl without the brackets? just resting over the bottom instead of "floating"? (I got a 3/16" steel plate and put it over the bottom to protect it)

thanks again!!

James, great find, and dont worry the Brethren here will give you a lot of info and those tips you seek.
Pretty soon you will be sending the "cook" pics!

Back