At home with baby for a while, recommendations for different things to smoke?

cfrazier77

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hi all,
I get to be home for the next week taking care of our new son James and mommy. I don't get to smoke as much as I would like so I want to take advantage of this time. I normally do ribs, brisket, and pork butt. I want to try so different things. So I figured the brethern could help. What all do you recommend?

Thank you all, because of all of you this is a real community that cares for each other. Thanks!

Last edited:
Congrats on the new baby! I'm a big fan of pepper stout beef, salmon, abt's, fatties, beef short ribs and many other things.

Porkbelly
Smoke some spinach, in a wire basket. Use on pizza, in kish, dips etc.
Turkey
Bison/beef meatloaf. If you can get bison.
Smoke some Spam sliced about 1/4" thick. Dry rub. Most think it is some sort of bacon when trying.
Jerky, no cure just marinate and season.
Smoke some salmon if you like salmon.

Porkbelly
Smoke some spinach, in a wire basket. Use on pizza, in kish, dips etc.
Turkey
Bison/beef meatloaf. If you can get bison.
Smoke some Spam sliced about 1/4" thick. Dry rub. Most think it is some sort of bacon when trying.
Jerky, no cure just marinate and season.
Smoke some salmon if you like salmon.

I forgot to add salmon, we do that a lot and she has already "informed" me that we will be having that.

But, Spam sounds interesting. How do you do it? Time/temp/rub? And how do you do your spinach?

Hey, Congrats on the new addition!

If you have a foodsaver, great...if you dont, GET ONE.

I do pulled pork, pastrami, pulled chicken, tri-tip, pulled beef, pulled ribs, smoked/sliced turkey, etc in 6oz portions in the vac seal, then freeze them.

We always have options for quick meals (which you will need with a baby). Freezes well, thaws great in lukewarm water while still vacsealed, or the microwave.

Also a great excuse to smoke a bunch of stuff when you fire up the smoker.

Spam sounds interesting. How do you do it? Time/temp/rub? And how do you do your spinach?
Slice the spam about 1/4 to 3/8" thick. Any thinner and it dries out more.
Dry rub, what ever you like.
Smoke at 250* till you get a crispy edge/crust, or more. Again your choice. Smoking at 275* and higher again tends to dry it out.
I also glaze with my apple chipotle sauce I make if I have any ready.
Couple examples. And I don't like spam, but this is good!
Spinach, I put in a wire mesh basket and smoke around 275* to get the moisture out. Lots of ways to use it.
Smoke some nuts. they freeze well and make great gifts also. If you don't eat them all. Some butter, seasoning and smoke till you get a few dark colored ones (those are favorite of most folks). Add a small amount of some real maple syrup at the end for the sweetness.

Attachments

• spam (1).jpg
    spam (1).jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 190
  • glazed spam.jpg
    glazed spam.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 190
  • DSC00553.jpg
    DSC00553.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 188
  • uds alfredo pizza 1 1 14 (1).jpg
    uds alfredo pizza 1 1 14 (1).jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 187
  • cashews (4).jpg
    cashews (4).jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 188
  • cashews (5).jpg
    cashews (5).jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 187
Congrats on the new addition!

How about a fatty? I'm new here and had never heard of them till I joined and started looking around. You start with a standard roll of uncased sausage. Apparently a lot of people like them "naked" or just coated in a rub and thrown in the smoker, while others go crazy with stuffing them, wrapping it in bacon, etc. Check this out https://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2011/06/fried-potato-and-smoked-ham-fattie-on.html

Just search here for fatty and you'll find tons of threads.

I also agree with some pork belly. Also roast beef. Look for a top round or eye of round roast. You want to pull the roast beef at a much lower internal temp than we're used to pulling other meats though. I prefer it med-rare.

I also saw somebody here smoking ripe jalapenos recently to make chipotles, which sounded intriguing. But I think you'll need a dehydrator to finish those.

Last edited:
Stuffed pork loin with Dressing/stuffing wrapped in a bacon weave! Probably one of my favorite "different" dishes I've made.. that and smoked meat loaf
8sCJpIzl.jpg

0LC64KLl.jpg

Another vote for Spam! I did some a couple months back and it was DELICIOUS. I rubbed/mopped just I would with ribs, and everyone who tried a bite loved it:

aUoOfGfh.jpg

Congratulations Craig! Great food recommendations... any of these will be great and add variety to the meal plan!

Big second on tracking down a vacuum sealer... load up the Humphrey’s, cook like a madman, then seal up individual meal portions and freeze. It will make life easy when your week is up and Mama and Sweet Baby James are fending for themselves.

Along the gadget line to make life easier... I certainly didn’t have one when my babies were babies, but a sous vide is as versatile as a crock pot... and the vacuum bags I use in my vacuum sealer can go right into a sous vide bath. Very easy to thaw, reheat and roll right out of the bag ready to eat.

Congrats again and good luck!

Congratulations! Have you ever smoked a Chuck roast?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Stuffed pork loin with Dressing/stuffing wrapped in a bacon weave! Probably one of my favorite "different" dishes I've made.. that and smoked meat loaf
8sCJpIzl.jpg

0LC64KLl.jpg

This may be one of the top five things to me I have seen here. Would you please be willing to pass along the recipe?

Back