MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-19-2019, 02:49 PM   #1
halfcocked
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : George
Default Suggestions for a charcoal grill?

I have a OKJ Highlander for smoking and a three burner stainless steel Kirkland Signature Series propane grill. I have been bitten by the bug for wanting a charcoal grill. I may have one bought on Offer Up (new in box Weber Master Touch for $150) but its beginning to look like the seller may be balking at the deal after having accepted the offer. He keeps postponing the exchange and I'm getting tired of the deal myself.
I still want a grill and would appreciate suggestions for the best one in the Weber price range. I do not intend to use it as a smoker, just for high heat searing and mostly steak grilling.
halfcocked is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2019, 02:54 PM   #2
in_the_basement
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Jonathan

Weber 20 inch kettle.
in_the_basement is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-19-2019, 02:58 PM   #3
LongTong
is one Smokin' Farker

Default PK

Hands down the PK for steak!

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-19-2019, 03:01 PM   #4
KClandcruiser
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Erik

The 26" Weber kettle gets a lot of love on here. Gives you a great amount of space to work with and you can smoke with it as well if you don't feel like messing with sticks. I don't think you can go wrong with anything weber, but the extra room on the 26" helps a lot

Old 09-19-2019, 03:01 PM   #5
harrybbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Haroldo

Well, if we are talking about charcoal grilling, if cost is not an issue, a kamado like the Big Green Egg is the real deal. It will get as hot as you want, literally (I'm talking like 900 degrees if you let it).
You can grill with the lid open or closed. You can get a rotisserie attachment and do open fire grills Brazillian style. People refer to the Kamados as a best "all arounder", but it is really best at grilling. AND you can make charcoal wood fire pizzas

Old 09-19-2019, 03:16 PM   #6
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Just go buy the Weber from a local store, it isn't THAT much more than what the guy on offerup was priced at. Can't go wrong with a Weber kettle. Throw a rotisserie on it and you can do just about anything with it.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:18 PM   #7
Radrob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rob

I bought a Char-Griller Super Pro 30" Barrel Charcoal Grill about 8 years ago and it has cooked everything from hotdogs to brisket. It has a top shelf that's great for bread or veggies after you sear them and the charcoal basket is adjustable to sear steaks as hot as you want. For $140 this thing can do it all and later if you decide you can add a firebox to convert it to an offset. I've smoked butts and brisket in it by setting up a snake and water pan on one side and just let it roll. It has plenty of space and I've cranked out enough chicken and sausage to feed 10-12 people at once.

They haven't changed a thing since I bought mine and it will last if you keep it out of the rain and replace the charcoal basket when it gets worn out. Lowe's sells them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZN-Mlo9Oag
Radrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2019, 03:19 PM   #8
TxQGuy
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Big C

Old Smokey #22!
#22 Jumbo Old Smokey Charcoal Grill - "Long Tall Sally"[/B]

Red Oak is still Oak :cool:
TxQGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2019, 03:32 PM   #9
creek bottom
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joe

You can pick up a Weber 22" kettle at Walmart for right around $100. Worth every penny! Nothing fancy, but does all I need in a charcoal grill... Fantastic grill for the $$$

A1 Competition Smoker; Meadow Creek 96; Oklahoma Joe's Bronco (gone but not forgotten); Weber 26" & 22" Kettles; Camp Chef XXL Pellet Smoker; Blackstone 22" Portable; Weber 300 Series Gasser; Masterbuilt 30" Electric Cabinet
creek bottom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2019, 05:16 PM   #10
KevinInStL
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Yes. What almost everyone else said. 22" Weber Kettle Premium, or a Weber Performer if you can swing it.

Old 09-19-2019, 05:23 PM   #11
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : William

Weber 26. The 22 is cheaper but you'll be glad you paid extra for the 26. I have both and love them but the 26 is my workhorse.
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2019, 05:24 PM   #12
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

If you cook for more than a handful of people, I strongly recommend the 26.75” Weber kettle. It’s a fantastic grill and smoker! :)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2019, 05:27 PM   #13
angryelfFan
is one Smokin' Farker

P to da K
Shirley 24 x 42 Straight Back
angryelfFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2019, 05:38 PM   #14
Stingerhook
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marty

Check criagslist and offer up also George, you can find a weber for cheap to try and see if you like it.
Also this time of year Brickseek is your friend for discounted grills.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2019, 05:59 PM   #15
Dweverett
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Also this time of year Brickseek is your friend for discounted grills.
This. I just checked and there is a Walmart near me showing two of the 22” with ash catcher at $40.00

Which I don’t need Btw as I still have one in a box from a couple years ago when I got three at a $35.00 price

Gifted to various children — Kamado Joe Classic, 36” Blackstone Griddle, Weber Genesis, Rectec 680
Dweverett is offline   Reply With Quote