How Do You All Cook Beef Cheeks?

Fooball

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I keep seeing them discounted at Sam's but keep passing because I know it can be a tough cut of meat if not cooked properly.

Maybe the Brethren can enlighten me on how to smoke or grill beef cheeks and have them wind up tender when done.

Next time I won't pass them up with your help. Thanks in advance.

Chud has a couple videos on them - the main parts he cooks like briskets - the trimming he has made barbacoa

For what it’s worth - I have made them a few times and really enjoy them

Chud has a couple videos on them - the main parts he cooks like briskets - the trimming he has made barbacoa

For what it’s worth - I have made them a few times and really enjoy them

Did you use Chud's techniques? I just don't want to wind up with shoe leather.

The method i've used when i've done them is to give them a healthy coat of 2 parts pepper to one part salt. Put them on the smoker for about 4hrs until the bark is set really well. Then I put them in a pan cover them with tallow and keep cooking low and slow until they are tender.

Its the method they use at Leroy and Lewis barbecue which is the first place i tried them. They are really good they have a stickiness to them from the collagen that is very different than many typical beef cuts

They're pretty great if you have tallow to confit them, but somehow they cost as much as brisket here so y'know... Brisket it is

They're pretty great if you have tallow to confit them, but somehow they cost as much as brisket here so y'know... Brisket it is

About the same as brisket here too. $3.63 a pound but had a 25% off sticker. 6 pound package. I see them all the time at Sam's club like that.

Thought it's about time I pick one up and give her a whirl.

About the same as brisket here too. $3.63 a pound but had a 25% off sticker. 6 pound package. I see them all the time at Sam's club like that.

Thought it's about time I pick one up and give her a whirl.

I'm definitely going to try them again if I manage to find a good deal, they're really interesting if you've got tallow to spare

LOVE Barbacoa! No, the stuff they sell at Chipotle is not barbacoa. Trim the visible nastiness from the outside, season and smoke til you get the desired color/bark, into a foil pan with some liquid, I've used beef broth, beer, better than bouillon, all good. Cover with foil and braise for a few more hours. Search for barbacoa, lots of posts about it.

Here's a previous cook I've done. https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292116

LOVE Barbacoa! No, the stuff they sell at Chipotle is not barbacoa. Trim the visible nastiness from the outside, season and smoke til you get the desired color/bark, into a foil pan with some liquid, I've used beef broth, beer, better than bouillon, all good. Cover with foil and braise for a few more hours. Search for barbacoa, lots of posts about it.

Here's a previous cook I've done. https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292116

Thanks Andy, those look delicious. I'd never heard of barbacoa till I came here.

Didn't know it was made with beef cheeks. Next time I see them I'll buy them and follow that technique. :thumb:

There are several ways to cook beef cheeks. Barbacoa is one. Here is my go to recipe:
https://jesspryles.com/bbq-smoked-beef-barbacoa-using-beef-cheeks/

The trick to tenderness is properly trimming them and low and slow cooking.

Jess is my kinda woman! Sounds like we have a consensus here to smoke then braise low and slow. Will do.

From her page:

"Traditional barbacoa is made by taking an entire cow head, wrapping it in maguey leaves, burying in the ground to cook and then picking all the meat from the skull. "

I'll stick with just the cheeks, Jess!

Back