MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 02-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #91
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm seriously considering an upgrade to the new D4.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...LR_Camera.html

If so, my D3 will be on the market for about 2,500 bucks, if anyone is interested.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 02-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #92
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
I did a bit of research on the S100 vs the S95. If you read back a few posts I have made some comments. Also, search for a thread in the Woodpile about my upcoming trip to Alaska. Overall, the S100 seems to get mixed reviews and many people say the S95 is better for still photos. The S100 has full 1080p video and GPS and such so it has more features. I picked up the S95 just before Christmas for a steal so that made the decision for me and I love it. I would suggest first looking for a deal on an S95 as stores are clearing them out. If you cannot find one, the S100 will still be an outstanding camera. Check out the reviews on Amazon too.
Thanks Brad, that actually helped a lot. The reviews on bestbuy.com where mostly a love fest but the Amazon reviews seemed to be more technical. I ended up picking one up and so far think it is great the battery life does stink and I have a lot of learnin' to do.

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:24 AM   #93
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

I'm a tard when it comes to takin' good food pics, I will say that for the folks that have to use their smart phone, look for the free HDR Camera app in the android store...

It will only work for still shots, but it gives a pretty decent, no editing needed photo.

When you take the picture, it will take 3 consecutive pics, 1 over exposed, one under exposed and 1 normal, it then overlays all 3 pics so that the highlights and shadows are deeper & richer than normally would be with your regular camera app.

Since it takes 3 pics, you've got to hold very still otherwise your pics will turn out deguerred, kinda tough when you can't really mount your phone in a tri pod.

I don't have any examples right now, but I'll take a few later and post them.

“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #94
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Here are 2 pics, full sunlight, first with reg Samsung Galaxy S camera app, the second with HDR camera app on the same phone.

Natural light plays with it a little more than indoor lighting...

HDR App

Next 2 diff exposures on the same camera, indoor light a mix of natural & artificial

Little better

HDR App

“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 05-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #95
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

With a lot of help from CaseyDog in this and another thread I started, I've gotten better results here of late. Ended up buying a Nikon L810 used for the first time in the Taco Throwdown. Also using a slight modification of CD's lighting technique. Still a learning curve for sure.

Here's a link to a cool tutorial I'm just starting:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

Since we only get to use one of 5 senses for the TD's, Why not go for max effect?
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #96
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I'm seriously considering an upgrade to the new D4.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...LR_Camera.html

If so, my D3 will be on the market for about 2,500 bucks, if anyone is interested.

CD
Did you do the upgrade? I'm on the lower end for my stuff, but waffling between the d5100 and d7000, though the d3200 seems to have a lot to offer for less.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #97
accuseal
On the road to being a farker

I've had a D7000 for about 6 mos now. It is a great camera. You probably can' t do much better than this in a non full frame sensor camera. Spend the extra dough on a great lens.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk 2
accuseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #98
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcadams View Post
Did you do the upgrade? I'm on the lower end for my stuff, but waffling between the d5100 and d7000, though the d3200 seems to have a lot to offer for less.
I still have the D3. D4s are hard to get, and I'm still balking at the price.

CD
Old 07-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #99
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Sale on Canon S95 (refurbished) from the canon website (courtesy of slickdeals), $224:

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/7697...eo-refurbished
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #100
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I just found out my camera fund supports me getting a Nikon d7000! I'll be ordering soon!

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #101
PYGBOYZ
On the road to being a farker

Default Taking Pics

Thanks for the Pic tips, I hope to use some of these in the next TD.
PYGBOYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #102
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

I've got a question regarding lens sizes. I've been using my widest angle lens, the 18-55 which came standard with the camera. Would their be any benefit to jumping up to a longer lens size like a 70-300 to compress the space a little bit?

Would there be any benefit or am I just going to annoy myself by having to stand really far away or get out a stepstool to fit everything into a shot?
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #103
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS2SB View Post
I've got a question regarding lens sizes. I've been using my widest angle lens, the 18-55 which came standard with the camera. Would their be any benefit to jumping up to a longer lens size like a 70-300 to compress the space a little bit?

Would there be any benefit or am I just going to annoy myself by having to stand really far away or get out a stepstool to fit everything into a shot?
I don't think you need a longer lens for food shots. I find that I like to shoot close up with a wider angle zoom setting. Since I shoot most of my TD entries with my Canon G12, with it's small chip, I can't really give you an accurate equivalent, but your 18-55 can certainly capture the same image.

I think a long lens will make your food look a bit too two dimensional.

CD
Thanks from: --->
Old 08-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #104
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

So, I'm taking my photos to the next level and need some help learning Photoshop, just got my copy of the latest version. Company also provided me with Lightshop, so I can do some cataloging, etc. Where's a good place to start (books?, website?). TIA for any help.
Lastest Smokers (4) FEC100's including Twin Big Reds, FEPC1000 Pellet Grill, Cookshack 36" Charbroiler

[B][URL="http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1159993040"]Smokin Okie on Facebook[/URL][/B]
A[B]uthor:[/B]
[URL="http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010brining101.pdf"]Brining 101 PDF[/URL] & [URL="http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010Turkey101.pdf"]Turkey 101 PDF[/URL]
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #105
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinOkie View Post
So, I'm taking my photos to the next level and need some help learning Photoshop, just got my copy of the latest version. Company also provided me with Lightshop, so I can do some cataloging, etc. Where's a good place to start (books?, website?). TIA for any help.
Did you mean Lightroom?

I don't use Lightroom, but I am a heavy user of photoshop. For your food shots, learn to use Levels and Color Balance first. Then learn Smart Sharpen. I use those three things on pretty much every shot I take.

The dodge and burn tools are also useful on food shots.

That should get you started. Kelby Training videos online are pretty good.

CD