How Do I Smoke Boneless Pork Butt from Costco - Same as Bone In?

AKMIMNAK

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Bros, this is a really stupid (and slightly embarrassing) moment. I've been smoking for 7 years and never lived near a Costco until recently. Tonight I bought my first pork butts (four of them!) from a Costco. It never even occurred to me to check for bone-in vs boneless. I have never once seen a boneless butt at any other store I've ever bought from. Always bone-in. So imagine my surprise when I slit open the first two-pack tonight to inject and rub, and.....VOILA! filleted pork butt falling open in my hands. Reminds me of the time I bought a whole packer brisket from a local restaurant owner (buddy of mine) to save a few pennies....got home and the thing was sliced horizontally into five strips. Horror. Though not quite as bad this time.

I'm all in at this point. How should I alter my cook strategy, if at all, for a boneless and mangled pork butt? I'm all ears.

Same way. I like it because you dont pay for bone weight and you can get more rub in it. If I'm running short on grate space I sometimes tie the up with butchers twine

I rub it up then tie into a block and cook the same. I like getting the seasoning on the inside.

Once you have it trussed well, just smoke it as you normally would do a bone-in butt.

Cook it the same way. More surface area = more bark.

Would you sort of lay it all opened up on its back to get that surface area barked up, or would you try to shape it up like a normal butt and smoke it tightened up in the normal shape?

Cook in progress......3.5 hours in. I rubbed and injected them last night. Threw them on this morning sort of shaped up like a normal pork butt with the rough and ugly filleted side down to keep it all tight together. We'll see how this goes!

12in disposable wooden skewers work really good too. I prefer the skewers because they just slide right out with no cutting or pulling off any meat or bark on the string.

That’s a great idea! Especially since I can’t tie a butchers knot for my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12in disposable wooden skewers work really good too. I prefer the skewers because they just slide right out with no cutting or pulling off any meat or bark on the string.

That's a great idea. I don't mind doing the trussing, but I hate losing the bark to the string. I'll have to try this method next time.

That's a great idea. I don't mind doing the trussing, but I hate losing the bark to the string. I'll have to try this method next time.
Just give them a little wiggle and twist and they pull out clean.

Tip: when the butt is done, don't try to wiggle the bone out. That's a good way to go crazy.

Tip,do not buy at Costco. Slice into CSR IF YOU DO. Other responses are valid too.Pork butt burnt ends are a salvage.

I avoid buying those these days unless I’m grinding for sausage, but when I did smoke em I tied em up in a tic tac toe grid and it worked out well. Def want to tie it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back